Help with 6.9 upgrade needed to fix SSD issue

I have an Unraid server with a pair of mirrored Samsung SSDs as cache. As others have reported the drives are suffering from excessive writes and they also contain some VMs. Unraid 6.9 can likely fix the SSD excessive write issue but it seems only if I start over from scratch including reformatting the SSD cache drives? So I have two questions:

How do I backup my VMs on the cache array and restore them after reformatting and upgrading to 6.9?

And how do I do a clean 6.9 install on my paid registered flash drive without Unraid treating me as a new unpaid user?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 2:34 PM, trurl said:

Why do you want to do a clean install? Just upgrade and your configuration will be kept the same including the license .key file for that flash.

As for redoing cache:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#Backing_up_the_cache_to_the_array

Thanks for the reply. I honestly don't know how to handle things. Even the latest 6.9.1, especially when done as an in-place upgrade, seems to have multiple problems causing many to revert back to 6.8.3. Yet my Samsung cache drives are being abused by 6.8. As I understand it just doing an online update can't reformat the cache drives to solve the excessive write issue which are all reasons why I was favoring a clean install.

Edited by dev_guy