ZFS Plugin or should i just stick with BTRFS

Hi there,

I'm about to make the switch from TrueNAS to Unraid after spending several painful months fighting with poorly written free software.  That said, the one thing I really liked about it was ZFS.  I've been reading / watching various tutorials on setting ZFS up on Unraid and looks pretty straight forward to get up and running.

One of the nice things about TrueNAS and ZFS is you could blow away your config, reinstall and all you needed to do was simply import the ZFS volume and you were back in business.

My question.... can anyone out there who currently runs the ZFS plugin on Unraif provide some guidance on how difficult it is to manage / recover a ZFS volume in Unraid when something like a power failure abruptly takes out the Unraid configuration?

I don't want to create a giant make work recovery project (in the event a piece of hardware fails) if sticking with native BTRFS is the safer path. 

honestly the bigger question would be do you have 10G LAN or other stuff that would require you to have a very fast array write speed or not.

because most people with 1G LAN will never really feel the difference between unraid and ZFS because their network is their bottleneck.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

honestly the bigger question would be do you have 10G LAN or other stuff that would require you to have a very fast array write speed or not.

because most people with 1G LAN will never really feel the difference between unraid and ZFS because their network is their bottleneck.

Yes for transfer speed to the server but there are other advantages to ZFS (data protection, etc.).

Also, depending of the use of the server, you can imagine use cases of internal data use where the speed within the server is important.

For a simple cold storage NAS, I would not bother. :) 

No, not yet - I'm still debating but leaning towards waiting for the Linux version of TrueNAS (Scale) to be released this summer.

I've been testing Unraid and while it offers some great featured, I still feel as though the platform is still beta.  Adding ZFS to the mix makes it unsupported and therefore alpha IMO. 

I think the platform has tons of promise but the developers need to get with the times and support something other than USB boot.  Right now, ZFS is a deal breaker and BTRFS just doesn't offer the rich features of ZFS.  Also, key plugins like Krusader just aren't there yet. 

I can't justify paying a premium for something that doesn't meet the majority of my requirements.

Will try again in a few years.

Peace  

1 hour ago, zetabax said:

I still feel as though the platform is still beta

I'm running Unraid since 2008 = 13 years.

Lots of VMs, lots of Containers, lots of data, lots of users here. I always felt very safe. I never lost data. In these 13 years I switched hardware many times. The only thing I had to do was to put that USB stick into a new system with the old drives and the new system was up and running without further activity.

In fact I feel that Limetech always takes a lot of time to bring a rock solid and well tested system to the market.

From my point of view your meaning is completely wrong.

Take your time to explore Unraid and look into this forum. Many people with problems are running latest hardware. Unraid can't fix what Linux does not support or Linux does not support very well.