[SOLVED] Asmedia SATA Controller Passthrough HELP PLEASE

Hi All,

Circled in YELLOW in the graphic below is my PASSTHROUGH for the two Asmedia SATA Controller PCI cards for a total of four SATA ports. I have two Optical Drives connected to each card for a total of four Optical Drives. 

image.thumb.png.86b60e8bcd8b67782480c2fd05eb72b9.png

Here is the problem. None of my Optical Drives appear on my Linux Mint VM desktop.  To troubleshoot, I used the Terminal command shown below to confirm if the Linux Mint OS recognizes the optical drives and the Terminal tells me it does not.

sudo lshw -C disk

The passthrough method I used was something called Stubbing.  Which involves appending the "syslinux.cfg" code located in the Flash drive with the Asmedia "1b21:0612" ID number shown below:

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append vfio-pci.ids=1b21:0612 initrd=/bzroot

I also installed the VFIO-PCI Config app since I am not using version 6.9.1:

Lastly, I also tried the "Downstream" setting for the "PCIe ACS override" parameter shown below:

image.png.f024f19a4d12a7427f55eaf2aa4de3a0.png

In short, can somebody in the community please share with me any advise that will help in making my 4 optical drives work correctly with my two Asmedia SATA Controller PCI cards?  Is  it necessary I install Asmedia drivers to my Linux Mint VM?   Can the problem be I did not correctly Passthrough the Admedia cards? Shouldn't Optical Drives connected to Asmedia cards work without a problem?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.   Thank you for your time.

Edited by slipstream
  • slipstream changed the title to Asmedia SATA Controller Passthrough HELP PLEASE
On 3/23/2021 at 2:07 PM, SimonF said:

You dont need vfio plugin if on 6.9

What do you get from lspci and lsblk on you mint machine.

lspci -v will show if a kernel module is loaded agaist the card

SimonF,

Thanks for your help and sharing those two Linux Terminal Commands which I didn't know existed.  Neverthless, I entered both Linux Commands into the Terminal for my Linux Mint VM (please see extracted code below).

And below is a screen capture of my Disks dialog window for my Linux Mint VM:

image.png.7a0e087cb7e68111c70e44f3486557b6.png

According to what I see from the "lspci" command Terminal output I see that my Linux Mint VM recognizes the two Asmedia SATA Controller PCI cards. However, it does not see my CD/DVD optical drives connected to them. Evenmore, what does not make sense to me is the DISKS window screen capture shown above.  The left side of the DISKS window is missing Icons for the CD/DVD optical drives even after I insert a DVD in one of the trays.  In short, I think this DISKS window screenshot contradicts the result the " lspci" command shows above.

Additionally, according to what I see from the "lspci -x" command Terminal output I also do not see CD/DVD optical drives connected to the two Asmedia SATA Controller PCI cards. 

Also I am using 6.8.3.  So does that mean I still need to have vfio plugin installed?  The reason I installed it is because the SpaceInvaderOne YouTube video mentions I needed to install it.

Below for your convenience  SimonF  I have extracted the Asmedia specific code so you don't have to scan through the many lines of code shown above.  Do you see anything strange in any of the two Terminal outputs shown below relating to my Asmedia card setup?

Extracted "lspci" Terminal Output Below:

0b:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
0c:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

Extracted "lspci -v" Terminal Output Below:

0b:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
    Subsystem: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller
    Physical Slot: 0-9
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 57
    I/O ports at 7028 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 7034 [size=4]
    I/O ports at 7020 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 7030 [size=4]
    I/O ports at 7000 [size=32]
    Memory at 91200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
    Expansion ROM at 91210000 [disabled] [size=64K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ahci

0c:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
    Subsystem: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller
    Physical Slot: 0-10
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 58
    I/O ports at 6028 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 6034 [size=4]
    I/O ports at 6020 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 6030 [size=4]
    I/O ports at 6000 [size=32]
    Memory at 91000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
    Expansion ROM at 91010000 [disabled] [size=64K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ahci

Vr2lo,

To answer your question my UnRaid OS does not see the 4 optical drives.  I thought by installing the "Unassigned Devices" app my UnRaidOS would recognize my CD/DVD Optical Drives but I learned after installing it the "Unassigned Devices" app does not support CD/DVD Optical Drives.

I am new to UnRaid. Basically, here is my opinion. The UnRaid OS developers need to make this entire process of setting up a Linux Mint VM or Windows10 VM a lot more user friendly.  I am overwelmed with all of the complexity associated to completing the task of setting up a VM.  I hope in the future it becomes a more user friendly process.

Lastly, I hope somebody in the community can point out to me what I need to fix so I can get my two Asmedia SATA Controller Cards to recognize my CD/DVD Optical drives.  Thank you for your time.

Edited by slipstream

Yes, in Unraid ( no passthrough ) will show those optical drive. It could be add-on card not support optical drive.

sr0          11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  
sr1          11:1    1  1024M  0 rom  
sr2          11:2    1  1024M  0 rom  

[15:0:0:0]   cd/dvd  HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH12NS30 1.02  /dev/sr0 
[15:0:1:0]   cd/dvd  HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12NS30 1.02  /dev/sr1 
[15:0:2:0]   cd/dvd  HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12NS30 1.02  /dev/sr2

Edited by Vr2Io

Thank you for your posts.

SimonF,

I used your lsbik and lsscsi Linux commands on my Linux Mint VM Terminal and I got the results shown below:

"lsblk" Terminal Output Below:

slipstream@mintvm:~$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    1 14.5G  0 disk
└─sda1   8:1    1 14.5G  0 part /media/slipstreamvm/USB STICK
sr0     11:0    1  1.9G  0 rom  /media/slipstreamvm/Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
vda    252:0    0   25G  0 disk
├─vda1 252:1    0  512M  0 part /boot/efi
└─vda2 252:2    0 24.5G  0 part /
slipstream@mintvm:~$

"lsscsi" Terminal Output Below:

slipstream@mintvm:~$ lsscsi
[0:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  QEMU     QEMU DVD-ROM     2.5+  /dev/sr0
[10:0:0:0]   disk    SanDisk  Cruzer Glide 3.0 1.00  /dev/sda
slipstream@mintvm:~$

I believe the "lsscsi" result explains it in the most simple terms.  It is not generating the same result you got shown in the text below you posted:

[5:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  ASUS     BW-16D1HT        3.01  /dev/sr0 

I was expecting to see this same text you shared because I happen to be using he same Asus BW-16D1HT optical drive you are using.  So I was dissappointed to see the "lsscsi" command did not recognize my Asus BW-16D1HT optical drive. At least I can rule out that my Asus BW-16D1HT optical drive is not at fault because it seems to be working for you although I don't know if you have it connected to the same Asmedia Card I am using.

Can anybody in the community please clarify why my Asmedia card passthrough appears in my Linux Mint Create VM dialog window (shown in the very first graphic at the top circled in YELLOW) but does not appear in the terminal output I get after using the "lsscsi" command ? 

I purchased my Asmedia cards from StarTech in the link below after reading in an UnRaid post they are the right ones to buy:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pexesat322i

Additionally, StarTech in their website say in clear English these Asmedia cards offer what is worded below on the website:

"Support for SATA-based optical drives (CD/DVD/BD)"

So I disagree with Vr2lo these cards might be incompatible because they seem to be working for other UnRaid users in the community.

My next move is to investigate the BIOS for my SuperMicro X10SRH-CF motherboard.  I'm thinking I may have to upgrade the BIOS in the motherboard to a more current version.

Does anybody else in the community have any opinion as to why my Asmedia card shows it has passed through but the optical drives connected to it do not appear in my Linux Mint VM?    Any help will be greatly appreciated.   Thank you for your time.

I got the following update.  I updated my UnRaid OS 6.8.3 to 6.9.1 in the hopes the latest and greatest UnRaid OS version would fix my problem.  Unfortunately, the problem persists.

Nevertheless, new to 6.9.1 is the "View VFIO-PCI LOG" button and after clicking on it I see log shown in the screen capture below.  I do not see any RED color which  is good news.  However, the YELLOW appears 4 separate times in the log which happens to be the quantity of optical drives I have. How can I confirm if the warnings below relate to my missing optical drives connected to my Asmedia cards? 

Warning: You did not supply a PCK domain, assuming 0000:00:1d.0

Warning: You did not specify a Vendor: Device (vvvv:dddd), unable to validate

image.thumb.png.2b347c96de62cf358092ed7315208c28.png

I hope a 6.9.1 UnRaid OS user in the community can share their knowledge to help me figure out how I can fix this problem relating to my Asmedia cards not correctly supporting my optical drives within my Linux Mint VM.  Thank you for your time.

Edited by slipstream

BUMP --- Can anybody in the community using an UnRaid server with an internal CD/DVD optical drive installed please share configuration details.  I am still not able to make my setup work and it would be helpful to me if somebody already setup with an internal CD/DVD optical drive could share what hardware is being using and how the passthrough configuration was done.   Thank you.

I am making my final update to this thread because I finally solved this problem.  The solution was to return my Asmedia SATA Controller card back to Amazon and get the one shown in the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlVk1Bwkh-Q&t=3s

Boxed in YELLOW below are my optical drives shown in the System Devices page in the UnRaid OS.  I was not getting the results shown below with the Asmedia card.  But this new MZHOU PCIe SATA Card recognizes my cd/dvd optical drives.  And I am sure once I setup my Linux Mint VM these optical drives will appear on my Linux Mint desktop.  

image.thumb.png.135a33155a14042324f1b282a012d5d5.png

So my advice is you don't waste your time buying an Asmedia card and instead get the MZHOU PCIe SATA Card I got if you need support for optical drives.

• Like 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Asmedia SATA Controller Passthrough HELP PLEASE