[Support] lnxd - PhoenixMiner

Hmmmm, i blacklisted it... i think...

but now I get:

lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'

06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. G200eR2
        DeviceName: Embedded Video                          
        Subsystem: Dell G200eR2
08:00.0 RAID bus controller: Broadcom / LSI MegaRAID SAS 2008 [Falcon] (rev 03)
--
0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Bonaire [FirePro W5100]
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] FirePro W4300
        Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu
0a:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tobago HDMI Audio [Radeon R7 360 / R9 360 OEM]

So to me, the driver isn't loaded and radeontop, gives me a few errors at the beginning, failed to find DRM.

I must be blacklisting wrong, or my amdgpu isn't loading...

to blacklist I changed /boot/config/modprobe.d/radeon.conf to /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf.

I read that somewhere on this forum to auto blacklist and autoload mods.

So when I try to run the docker, I just get a system error

2 hours ago, pronto said:

Hmmmm, i blacklisted it... i think...

but now I get:

lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'

06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. G200eR2
        DeviceName: Embedded Video                          
        Subsystem: Dell G200eR2
08:00.0 RAID bus controller: Broadcom / LSI MegaRAID SAS 2008 [Falcon] (rev 03)
--
0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Bonaire [FirePro W5100]
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] FirePro W4300
0a:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tobago HDMI Audio [Radeon R7 360 / R9 360 OEM]

So to me, the driver isn't loaded and radeontop, gives me a few errors at the beginning, failed to find DRM.

I must be blacklisting wrong, or my amdgpu isn't loading...

to blacklist I changed /boot/config/modprobe.d/radeon.conf to /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf.

I read that somewhere on this forum to auto blacklist and autoload mods.

So when I try to run the docker, I just get a system error

That should work, did you restart afterwards? Please post the output of 

ls -lh /boot/config/modprobe.d/

And if the first diagnostics file wasn’t after you blacklisted the Radeon drivers and then rebooted, post another diagnostics file soon after you reboot. I’ll take a look at the output when I get home :)

Edited by lnxd
2 hours ago, pronto said:

# ls -lh /boot/config/modprobe.d/ 
total 0
-rw------- 1 root root 0 Mar 27 13:00 amdgpu.conf

Attached is post reboot

Cheers

pronto-server-diagnostics-20210327-1944.zip 127.53 kB · 1 download

Permissions are correct and you don't have a rogue config file.

lsmod on your system is only showing amdgpu has been loaded but not radeon, but the output of your lspci is strange. 

0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Bonaire [FirePro W5100] [1002:6649]
	Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] FirePro W4300 [1002:0b0c]
0a:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tobago HDMI Audio [Radeon R7 360 / R9 360 OEM] [1002:aac0]
	Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tobago HDMI Audio [Radeon R7 360 / R9 360 OEM] [1002:aac0]

Do you have more details about this card? The subsystem device ID (0b0c) for the VGA controller matches a W4300 and the audio device (aac0) an R7/R9.

Weirdly on AMD's website they list the W5100 as compatible with the amdgpu 20.20 pro drivers, but if you have a look at the card's driver support page it's supported by a different driver package (Radeon™ Pro Software for Enterprise on Ubuntu 20.04.1)

I'll do a custom build for you with the enterprise drivers and see if that works, heads up to get it working you may need both the amdgpu and radeon modules loaded.

Edited by lnxd

Awesome, haha, I got this card randomly as a second-hand gift. I actually have 2 in the system right now, but Unraid is using one card as its primary right now, instead of the onboard graphics. A separate issue I'll deal with later. One thing at a time. It's a BIOS thing I believe, but I'm not too familiar with iDRAC in a Dell T420.

I'm not physically at the server right now, doing everything remotely, but I'll be at it next week. Seeing how the OP listed the W5100 as compatible, makes me think this isn't a real FirePro, yet the packaging it came in seemed pretty legitimate. I did see the discrepancies in the lspci, but I never have used a compute card before, so I believed this to be normal.

A beta build with the enterprise drivers would be awesome, and once I get back to the server, I'll have a gander at the card and packaging, and send along a few pictures.

Till then, I can't really do too much, except try another build.

Thanks for all the help so far, makes learning the innards of Unraid a little easier

Cheers

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, pronto said:

Awesome, haha, I got this card randomly as a second-hand gift. I actually have 2 in the system right now, but Unraid is using one card as its primary right now, instead of the onboard graphics. A separate issue I'll deal with later. One thing at a time. It's a BIOS thing I believe, but I'm not too familiar with iDRAC in a Dell T420.

Most likely yup, looks like you also have a bios upgrade available so probably a good time to see whether that's worth updating as well when you're solving that problem.

I'm not physically at the server right now, doing everything remotely, but I'll be at it next week. Seeing how the OP listed the W5100 as compatible, makes me think this isn't a real FirePro, yet the packaging it came in seemed pretty legitimate. I did see the discrepancies in the lspci, but I never have used a compute card before, so I believed this to be normal.

I'm hoping it's real, it could really go either way. But definitely interested in seeing those pics / finding out whether this kind of output is normal for this series.

Till then, I can't really do too much, except try another build.

Thanks for all the help so far, makes learning the innards of Unraid a little easier

No worries at all!

I have two builds ready for you to try:

lnxd/phoenixminer:v1.0.0-20.45

lnxd/phoenixminer:v1.0.0-18.20

If you punch those into the Repository field on the container's edit page and start it up one at a time, let me know if either of those work for you. The first one is ideal if it does but I'm pretty sure the drivers failed to install, it's way too large to be valid. If neither of them do, I'll spin up a VM and build the first one on an older kernel and then push it to Docker Hub for you to try out.

Edit: I forgot to update the base title on the second one, it'll report Ubuntu 20.04 but it's actually Ubuntu 18.04. Just ignore it, it won't affect anything.

Edited by lnxd

Hi I have installed your Phoenix Miner AMD and this is working and the logs show it is OK.  However I have installed your Phoenix Stats docker and when I go to the webui I see the follwoing errors.

Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /var/www/html/json_parser.class.php on line 167

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to unraid.local:5450 (php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known) in /var/www/html/json_parser.class.php on line 167

Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in /var/www/html/json_parser.class.php on line 172

Any ideas?

Cheers

36 minutes ago, mauriceatkinson@btconnect. said:

Hi I have installed your Phoenix Miner AMD and this is working and the logs show it is OK.  However I have installed your Phoenix Stats docker and when I go to the webui I see the follwoing errors.

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to unraid.local:5450 (php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known) in /var/www/html/json_parser.class.php on line 167

Hey there,

The error shows you left the address as the default (unraid.local), you'll need to edit the container and give it the right address. 

Visit Unraid WebUI > click Docker > Click on the logo next to PhoenixStats > click Edit > Change Miner Host from unraid.local to your Unraid server's local IP > click Apply

Then visit the PhoenixStats UI again and it should be working.

Edited by lnxd
  • Like 1

So I tried both builds before and after I changed the blacklisting.

amdgpu only got me:

- command failed

- no log file on attempted start

- command failed

- no log file on attempted start

Reboot and amdgpu and radeon on got me:

- command successful

Project: PhoenixMiner 5.5c
Author: lnxd
Base: Ubuntu 20.04
Target: Unraid 6.9.0 - 6.9.1

Wallet: 0x9498eb2019EBeD208977FE73d473810b36fE0641
Pool: us1.ethermine.org:4444

Starting PhoenixMiner 5.5c with the following arguments:
-pool us1.ethermine.org:4444 -wal 0x9498eb2019EBeD208977FE73d473810b36fE0641.pronto-server -tt 75 -tstop 85 -tstart 80 -cdm 1 -cdmport 5450 -amd
Phoenix Miner 5.5c Linux/gcc - Release build
--------------------------------------------

[0mNo OpenCL platforms found
[91mNo avaiable GPUs for mining. Please check your drivers and/or hardware.
[0m

- command successful

-pool us1.ethermine.org:4444 -wal 0x9498eb2019EBeD208977FE73d473810b36fE0641.pronto-server -tt 75 -tstop 85 -tstart 80 -cdm 1 -cdmport 5450 -amd

amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.50.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.

./mine.sh: line 15: 6 Segmentation fault ./PhoenixMiner -pool $POOL -wal $WALLET.$PASSWORD -tt $TT -tstop $TSTOP -tstart $TSTART -cdm 1 -cdmport 5450 $ADDITIONAL

Attached is Diag after I changed both drivers to "ON"

Cheers...? lol

EDIT:

# ls -alh /boot/config/modprobe.d/
total 8.0K
drwx------  2 root root 4.0K Mar 28 09:18 ./
drwx------ 12 root root 4.0K Mar 28 09:27 ../
-rw-------  1 root root    0 Mar 27 13:00 amdgpu.conf
-rw-------  1 root root    0 Mar 28 09:18 radeon.conf

Don't know if anything needs to be in these files, so right now they are empty..

pronto-server-diagnostics-20210328-0933.zip

Edited by pronto
Add ls modprobe.d
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, NixonInnes said:

Hey man, thanks! 

Got the miner & stats up and running pretty easily with my meagre RX 570 👍

@NixonInnes You're welcome! Thanks for the feedback. Are you on the latest tag (20.20 drivers)? I'll update OP. 

EDIT: @NixonInnes do you have compute mode enabled for your GPU? All the estimates for that card are for it to hit 29-31MH/s which probably are using custom mining bios and OC. But if you don't have compute mode turned on for a Polaris GPU you'll get a low hash rate. That's not measly by the way, if there wasn't a shortage I'd be buying up used RX 570s and RX 580s to mine with.

18 hours ago, pronto said:

- command successful

amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.50.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.

./mine.sh: line 15: 6 Segmentation fault ./PhoenixMiner -pool $POOL -wal $WALLET.$PASSWORD -tt $TT -tstop $TSTOP -tstart $TSTART -cdm 1 -cdmport 5450 $ADDITIONAL

@pronto This is good news! It means that it should work. Just blacklist radeon and fingers crossed you'll be good to go. I believe that error means that PhoenixMiner is using the radeon drivers to communicate with the card.

That error actually confirms for me that no radeon cards will work with it so thanks for the data, that explains why @Lobsi was having difficulty with what looked like a working build. I'll take the 15.12 build down.

I updated the tags in OP btw, so you're better off using one of these than the custom builds. Specifically lnxd/phoenixminer:latest-18.20 should work for you.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:40 PM, lnxd said:
  • lnxd/phoenixminer:latest (Same as latest-20.20 as this is the most compatible with current cards)
  • lnxd/phoenixminer:latest-20.45 (Only for RX6800 and RX6900)
  • lnxd/phoenixminer:latest-20.20
  • lnxd/phoenixminer:latest-18.20 
Edited by lnxd
14 minutes ago, pronto said:

I just threw the FirePro into a Windows VM, just for kicks, installing the "pro" series driver suite now.

Device manager shows it as a w4300...

This card is wild lol

Yeah I have no idea what's going on there 😂 assuming it's real it should work with both 18.20 and 20.20. Since it doesn't, 🤷‍♂️ all we can do is prod it until it either starts working or gives us a real answer as to why it won't.

Just make sure you blacklist the radeon module and restart before trying it otherwise you'll get the same error. I'm sure there's a way to tell which card to use which module but since you're only trying to use it with an amdgpu compatible card, blacklisting it is the easiest.

Edited by lnxd

wow @NixonInneshow did you achieve such a good rate.  I have same card and see 2.5MH?

@lnxd in my unraid syslog I am seeing this message many times 

kernel: amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes   

Any ideas to why I get this?

In addition I have activated compute mode for my card using -acm in the docker by adding another docker argument but it doesnt seem to improve the MH rate.  I assume the why I have activated compute mode is correct?

5 minutes ago, mauriceatkinson@btconnect. said:

wow @NixonInneshow did you achieve such a good rate.  I have same card and see 2.5MH?

😮 there's definitely something wrong. 

@lnxd in my unraid syslog I am seeing this message many times 

kernel: amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes   

Any ideas to why I get this?

Would you mind posting your diagnostics.zip?

EDIT: @mauriceatkinson@btconnect. also the output of your docker logs for the container, chuck them in a text file and attach them as well please. Won't be anything confidential in there, just details about your GPUs.

In addition I have activated compute mode for my card using -acm in the docker by adding another docker argument but it doesnt seem to improve the MH rate.  I assume the why I have activated compute mode is correct?

That should work just fine, yup.

Edited by lnxd
9 hours ago, lnxd said:

EDIT: @NixonInnes do you have compute mode enabled for your GPU? All the estimates for that card are for it to hit 29-31MH/s which probably are using custom mining bios and OC. But if you don't have compute mode turned on for a Polaris GPU you'll get a low hash rate. That's not measly by the way, if there wasn't a shortage I'd be buying up used RX 570s and RX 580s to mine with.

@lnxd ooh, no I don't think I do. I've done it on Windows boxes with the Radeon GUI, how do I do that for an Unraid box?

11 minutes ago, NixonInnes said:

@lnxd ooh, no I don't think I do. I've done it on Windows boxes with the Radeon GUI, how do I do that for an Unraid box?

It's probably still on if you haven't turned it off or reset the card since. The -acm argument in additional should do it.

acm.thumb.png.7acb9e96ea93c10b3afe88720c9c7c49.png

If that doesn't increase your hash rate, what card do you have specifically?

7 minutes ago, lnxd said:

It's probably still on if you haven't turned it off or reset the card since. The -acm argument in additional should do it.

Ah, that was for a different card (RX 580 in my desktop). 

The Unraid box has a MSI RADEON RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC. Don't think that option did much 😅

31 minutes ago, mauriceatkinson@btconnect. said:

@lnxd diagnostic and phoenix docker logs attached in zip file

freedom-diagnostics-20210329-1115.zip 187.01 kB · 1 download

Thanks mate, is that a 4gb card? That won't work for mining Ethereum because the DAG size is larger than 4gb now ☹️

I mean, you could try setting -daglim to do it:

-daglim <n>
(AMD Polaris, Baffin, Tonga, or Fiji cards only) Limit the DAG size to <n> MB to allow mining on 4 GB cards a few weeks after epoch 373 on Windows (or 381 on Linux). The possible values except the exact DAG limit are also 0 (turn off the DAG limit), 1 (automatic DAG limit size, usually 4023 MB under Windows; this is the default). Note that the hashrate will drop significantly with each epoch after the DAG limit is in effect. If the hashrate drops too much (e.g. from 28 MH/s to just 2-3 MH/s, you need to use lower value, for example -daglim 3996 or even lower.

But I doubt you will get too far because Ethereum is up to (I believe) epoch 404. You might still be able to find a profitable coin to mine with but you'd need to get your hash rate up above around 6MH/s to even break even (based on energy prices in Australia, I have no idea how much energy costs in the UK)

You can calculate profitability on a site like this, that's based on US energy prices of course but if you enter your converted cost the formula is the same.

28 minutes ago, NixonInnes said:

Ah, that was for a different card (RX 580 in my desktop). 

The Unraid box has a MSI RADEON RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC. Don't think that option did much 😅

@NixonInnes Damn, it was worth a shot. That's a good card, I'm sure you could get way more out of it than what you're getting, but it might make your system unstable if you start pushing it with OC options. My RX 580 is running custom bios, but that's a risk to damaging your GPU.

I hope you're mining on both of them 😉

Edited by lnxd
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, lnxd said:

@NixonInnes Damn, it was worth a shot. That's a good card, I'm sure you could get way more out of it than what you're getting, but it might make your system unstable if you start pushing it with OC options. My RX 580 is running custom bios, but that's a risk to damaging your GPU.

I hope you're mining on both of them 😉

@lnxd yeah, after some google-fu people seem to be able to get a bit more juice. I'm gonna take a look into how I can tweak the card settings (without having Windows & the Radeon performance tuning window) - you got any steers? 

I've done some mining on the RX 580, but since it's on my desktop which i'm using all day for work video calls and all night being a nerd it's a bit awkward. Might end up switching the cards around. I'll at least have a look into a way to setup something to throttle mining during the day on the desktop if I do start using it.

On 3/23/2021 at 10:40 AM, lnxd said:

GPUs possibly compatible with lnxd/phoenixminer:latest-20.20:    (click to expand)

Hide contents
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 5700/5600/5500 Series Graphics.           
    Confirmed working: 5500XT @lnxd
  • AMD Radeon™ Pro W-series
  • AMD Radeon™ VII Series Graphics                      
  • AMD Radeon™ Pro W 5700/5500 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ RX Vega Series Graphics                  
  • AMD Radeon™ Pro WX-series
  • AMD Radeon™ Vega Frontier Edition                    
  • AMD Radeon™ Pro WX 9100
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 550/560/570/580/590 Series Graphics    
    Confirmed working: RX580 @lnxd, RX580 @SPOautos, RX570 @NixonInnes
  • AMD Radeon™ Pro WX 8200
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 460/470/480 Graphics                             
    Confirmed working: RX480 @ich777
  • AMD FirePro™ W9100
  • AMD Radeon™ Pro Duo                                  
  • AMD FirePro™ W8100
  • AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury/Fury X/Nano Graphics            
  • AMD FirePro™ W7100
  • AMD Radeon™ R9 380/380X/390/390X Graphics            
  • AMD FirePro™ W5100
  • AMD Radeon™ R9 285/290/290X Graphics                
  • AMD FirePro™ W4300
  • AMD Radeon™ R9 360 Graphics

@lnxd Maybe worth mentioning it's an 8 GB model of the RX 570 in here 

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, NixonInnes said:

@lnxd yeah, after some google-fu people seem to be able to get a bit more juice. I'm gonna take a look into how I can tweak the card settings (without having Windows & the Radeon performance tuning window) - you got any steers? 

I've done some mining on the RX 580, but since it's on my desktop which i'm using all day for work video calls and all night being a nerd it's a bit awkward. Might end up switching the cards around. I'll at least have a look into a way to setup something to throttle mining during the day on the desktop if I do start using it.

😮 sorry for the delay, I missed your post. I'll PM you.

3 hours ago, NixonInnes said:

Maybe worth mentioning it's an 8 GB model of the RX 570 in here 

Good call! I've gone ahead and updated it for everyone. I already mentioned the 4gb DAG limitation in OP a few times, but hopefully that makes it more clear for everyone that it's not model specific.

Edited by lnxd

Pressing xmrig support takes me here. Trying it out and I cant seem to get it working.. Do I need to add a port or something?

Z6hLil2.thumb.png.3d91aac23060f8811ac303e5db9368d8.png

I think I got it going now.. but im getting [2021-03-31 17:23:56.731] msr FAILED TO APPLY MSR MOD, HASHRATE WILL BE LOW .. Any way to fix this?

Edited by superderpbro
Reasons
17 minutes ago, superderpbro said:

Pressing xmrig support takes me here. Trying it out and I cant seem to get it working.. Do I need to add a port or something?

Z6hLil2.thumb.png.3d91aac23060f8811ac303e5db9368d8.png

I think I got it going now.. but im getting [2021-03-31 17:23:56.731] msr FAILED TO APPLY MSR MOD, HASHRATE WILL BE LOW .. Any way to fix this?

😂 Derp is a good worker name.

Ah, I forgot to make the new support post before I fell asleep. Thank you for reminding me!

This is expected at the moment on Unraid unless you use a custom kernel build, I didn’t want to strip MSR from the builds. The impact on hash rate is negligible in my testing so don’t stress.

• lnxd changed the title to [Support] lnxd - PhoenixMiner