[Support] lnxd - PhoenixMiner

38 minutes ago, ich777 said:

That has nothing to do with the docker.img file.

If the container won't start if you are passing the argument '--runtime=nvidia' to it then there is something else wrong.

Is Plex working with the same settings?

Yes. And FaH. 

6 minutes ago, frodr said:

Yes. And FaH. 

Ran "New Permissions" tool, and now do the docker start without "--runtime=nvidia" in Extra Parameters. Not able to open WebGUI and no GPU prosesses. (With Extra Parameters -> "Server error")

Log file:

[0mNo CUDA driver found
OpenCL driver version: 20.20-1089974-ubuntu-20.04
[91mNo avaiable GPUs for mining. Please check your drivers and/or hardware.
[0m

Edited by frodr
7 minutes ago, frodr said:

Yes. And FaH. 

Can you please double check that all varaibles have the right value and key?

It can be only a minor problem but I think it has something to do with the parameters itself.

1 minute ago, frodr said:

docker start without "--runtime=nvidia" in Extra Parameters

If you run it without this parameter you don't hand over the GPU to the container and it can't work.

Also you don't hand over Cuda.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

It can be only a minor problem but I think it has something to do with the parameters itself.

If you run it without this parameter you don't hand over the GPU to the container and it can't work.

You ware right, only an error in the description.

Thanks you so much for "holding my hand" with this problem. It is people like you who make unRAID and the unRAID community so very special. Thanks again. I buy you a beer or three. 

Edit: Eth: Effective speed: 44.44 MH/s; at pool: 44.44 MH/s

Edited by frodr
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, ich777 said:

Thanks for helping out while I was asleep @ich777

7 hours ago, frodr said:

Did you forget to include your prosentage fee in the docker setup? I think it is fair that the one supporting the docker image have a possibility for compensation.

It's not an option with PhoenixMiner, but all good. This was the first container I published, I really just published them all to help out the community. With XMRig I just noticed that'd be possible while I was browsing the source code trying to make no-fee optional. 

Also, honestly @ich777 understands how to pass through an Nvidia GPU to Docker far better than I do; I didn't even know my container would work with Nvidia until he told me and tested it.

2 hours ago, frodr said:

Edit: Eth: Effective speed: 44.44 MH/s; at pool: 44.44 MH/s

Nice hash rate @frodr, I'm going to update the template and guide as soon as I get a chance so that other people don't get stuck. I don't have an Nvidia GPU for testing 

1 hour ago, horphi said:

Hello, can i run PM also with CPU instead GPU?

BR

Phil

PM is a Miner for GPUs -see https://phoenixminer.org/

I would recomend to read about cryptos first.

But basically it is possible to mine ETH with a CPU but very much not recomended. Have a look at monero for that purpose.

came to this thread to point out that you have to install and start the docker first w/o the extra parameter for nvidia. than the docker will start but give you an error. Edit the docker and add the nvidia parameter => starts up fine. my 1070 does around 28MH/s which can be tweaked by some overclocking & undervolting (to around 30-32) which I have no idea how to do in unRaid.

• Thanks 2
On 4/12/2021 at 2:48 AM, Aluavin said:

PM is a Miner for GPUs -see https://phoenixminer.org/

I would recomend to read about cryptos first.

But basically it is possible to mine ETH with a CPU but very much not recomended. Have a look at monero for that purpose.

came to this thread to point out that you have to install and start the docker first w/o the extra parameter for nvidia. than the docker will start but give you an error. Edit the docker and add the nvidia parameter => starts up fine. my 1070 does around 28MH/s which can be tweaked by some overclocking & undervolting (to around 30-32) which I have no idea how to do in unRaid.

Thanks for fielding that question for me. For some reason, even though I have it set to email me every time there's a new post, it doesn't :P 

Also thanks 
letting me know about the procedure with Nvidia too, I have no way to test my work as I only have AMD cards. Do the overclock arguments from PhoenixMiner work for your 1070, or do you get errors?

32 minutes ago, macmanluke said:

hmm wonder if i should switch over to this from a windows VM. 
Windows is working flawless and resource usage is no issue but maybe save a few watts of power....

If this was XMRig, I'd say you're looking at a ~10% increase in hash power. But the performance of this container in theory should be around the same as running PhoenixMiner from a VM as long as there are no other bottlenecks (ie. pinning the CPU incorrectly).  You might save a couple of watts from not having a display connected to your GPU anyway. The only way to know for sure would be test it (easy), or research the performance impacts of using a GPU via VFIO passthrough (basically voodoo).

The main reason I made this container vs. mining from an NHOS VM in the first place was stability with AMD cards; it's not affected by the vfl / vendor-reset issue. And then coincidentally it just turned out it's super convenient if you want to use the same GPU with multiple docker containers either simultaneously or separately. Which makes it arguably more convenient for Nvidia as well if you're more interested in using your GPU for Plex transcoding or one of the awesome gaming containers on CA for eg. rather than GPU intensive VM workloads.

So maybe a question that's just as valid is whether you prefer to have your card bound to VFIO or not 😅

Edited by lnxd
6 minutes ago, lnxd said:

Thanks for fielding that question for me. For some reason, even though I have it set to email me every time there's a new post, it doesn't :P 

Also thanks 
letting me know about the procedure with Nvidia too, I have no way to test my work as I only have AMD cards. Do the overclock arguments from PhoenixMiner work for your 1070, or do you get errors?

If this was XMRig, I'd say you're looking at a ~10% increase in hash power. But the performance of this container in theory should be around the same as running PhoenixMiner from a VM as long as there are no other bottlenecks (ie. pinning the CPU incorrectly).  You might save a couple of watts from not having a display connected to your GPU anyway. The only way to know for sure would be test it (easy), or research the performance impacts of using a GPU via VFIO passthrough (basically voodoo).

The main reason I made this container vs. mining from an NHOS VM in the first place was stability with AMD cards; it's not affected by the vfl / vendor-reset issue. And then coincidentally it just turned out it's super convenient if you want to use the same GPU with multiple docker containers either simultaneously or separately. Which makes it arguably more convenient for Nvidia as well if you're more interested in using your GPU for Plex transcoding or one of the awesome gaming containers on CA for eg. rather than GPU intensive VM workloads.

So maybe a question that's just as valid is whether you prefer to have your card bound to VFIO or not 😅

Yea might be worth a play

Believe it would be bound to VFIO (box checked in the VM?)

Its a Nvidia 3060 and hashing pretty much same as it was in a dedicated box (48mh)

Currently use quicksync for plex but the nvidia would be slightly better id guess

Also no monitor connected, just a HDMI dummy

Funny enough i searched for a docker before setting up the VM and came up with nothing so went the VM route

Edited by macmanluke
26 minutes ago, macmanluke said:

Yea might be worth a play

Believe it would be bound to VFIO (box checked in the VM?)

Its a Nvidia 3060 and hashing pretty much same as it was in a dedicated box (48mh)

Currently use quicksync for plex but the nvidia would be slightly better id guess

Also no monitor connected, just a HDMI dummy

The HDMI dummy will still make it fluctuate 😅 I have one too, and when connected it bounces up and down +-5w. If you're just using it for Windows, check out VirtIO Guest Tools if you haven't already, it's an install package on the VirtIO Drivers ISO.

Yup it'd be bound at the moment if you're using it in a VM. It could be better for Plex yeah, but if you're using Quick Sync to transcode h265 content the Intel might be marginally more efficient from hardware HEVC decoding support so could go either way too 😂 If most of your content is h264 or AV1 the Nvidia card will probably be better.

If I was you, I'd definitely test it out and see how you go. Just keep in mind that while you can probably 1-click OC your card in Windows, you'll have to tune your OC manually using PhoenixMiner arguments if you want to OC for mining. And I don't know if that will work with Nvidia cards for my container. It does for AMD cards.

Not to say I wouldn't love to have an Nvidia card, it's just that horrid shortage haha.

EDIT: I just saw your update, sorry! Yeah I think for ages T-Rex Miner was the only one on there, then I made this, I think NfsminerOC was under development at the same time cos it showed up very soon after, and then I put XMRig on there as well. I also have a working container for Lolminer, and it's not a lot of work to change PhoenixMiner out for any GPU miner really. But I don't want to fill up CA with so many alternatives; just the best 😁

Edited by lnxd

I tried searching and maybe I'm just not searching correctly. But I can't seem to get my rx580 8gb over 24 m/h. I can get 27-30 in windows and still have the same heat and power consumption. I did put the -acm tag. And tried some other. I also have my 2070super mining as well. I understand there your docker doesn't officially offer nvidia support. I can hit 70 m/h combined with the same temps in windows. But I'm stuck at 62 m/h with your docker. Power consumption doesn't matter as my electricity is included in rent no matter how much I use. Any help would be appreciated. I like your docker. I think it's better then gpu passthrough as I can use my 2070 for plex as well. 

Edited by letrain
On 4/13/2021 at 6:22 AM, lnxd said:

The HDMI dummy will still make it fluctuate 😅 I have one too, and when connected it bounces up and down +-5w. If you're just using it for Windows, check out VirtIO Guest Tools if you haven't already, it's an install package on the VirtIO Drivers ISO.

Yup it'd be bound at the moment if you're using it in a VM. It could be better for Plex yeah, but if you're using Quick Sync to transcode h265 content the Intel might be marginally more efficient from hardware HEVC decoding support so could go either way too 😂 If most of your content is h264 or AV1 the Nvidia card will probably be better.

If I was you, I'd definitely test it out and see how you go. Just keep in mind that while you can probably 1-click OC your card in Windows, you'll have to tune your OC manually using PhoenixMiner arguments if you want to OC for mining. And I don't know if that will work with Nvidia cards for my container. It does for AMD cards.

Not to say I wouldn't love to have an Nvidia card, it's just that horrid shortage haha.

EDIT: I just saw your update, sorry! Yeah I think for ages T-Rex Miner was the only one on there, then I made this, I think NfsminerOC was under development at the same time cos it showed up very soon after, and then I put XMRig on there as well. I also have a working container for Lolminer, and it's not a lot of work to change PhoenixMiner out for any GPU miner really. But I don't want to fill up CA with so many alternatives; just the best 😁

I'd be interested in lolminer. In windows at least it seems to keep temps down but hashrate up

I am having some issues getting my docker to work properly. It starts, but does not mine. The 'unable to load NVML' is what I have suspected to be the issue, but cannot find any unRAID related threads about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Project: PhoenixMiner 5.5c
Author: lnxd
Base: Ubuntu 20.04
Driver: 20.20
Target: Unraid 6.9.0 - 6.9.2

Wallet: <mywallet>
Pool: us1.ethermine.org:4444

Starting PhoenixMiner 5.5c as uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root) with the following arguments:
-pool us1.ethermine.org:4444 -wal <mywallet>.x -tt 75 -tstop 85 -tstart 80 -cdm 1 -cdmport 5450 -coin eth

Phoenix Miner 5.5c Linux/gcc - Release build
--------------------------------------------

[0mCUDA version: 11.0, CUDA runtime: 8.0
[97mAvailable GPUs for mining:
[92mGPU1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (pcie 6), CUDA cap. 6.1, 7.9 GB VRAM, 15 CUs
[93mUnable to load NVML

unRAID version: Version 6.9.2 2021-04-07

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: GTX 1070

RAM:  16GB

I cannot seem to get additional arguments to work for me. I want manually set fixed fan percentage, set power limit, memory OC and under-clock the core.

The parameters does show up on the log when I run the docker. But GPU Stats is showing same full power draw and same stock fan curve behavior. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

EDIT:

I did manage to get the power limit to work. But I'm still not getting fan control clock offset. I have checked to make sure docker is running on privilege mode. But fans still seems to be using the stock settings and my memory offset doesn't seem to work. -mclock value does not change hashrate. (I've test the card on Windows environment and got as far as 62MH but without memory OC, docker is stuck at 51MH). Not sure if core clock offset is working. I've also installed Stats docker and it seems like it cannot read GPU temp and fan speed.

Edited by truthfulie
18 hours ago, truthfulie said:

I cannot seem to get additional arguments to work for me. I want manually set fixed fan percentage, set power limit, memory OC and under-clock the core.

The parameters does show up on the log when I run the docker. But GPU Stats is showing same full power draw and same stock fan curve behavior. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

EDIT:

I did manage to get the power limit to work. But I'm still not getting fan control clock offset. I have checked to make sure docker is running on privilege mode. But fans still seems to be using the stock settings and my memory offset doesn't seem to work. -mclock value does not change hashrate. (I've test the card on Windows environment and got as far as 62MH but without memory OC, docker is stuck at 51MH). Not sure if core clock offset is working. I've also installed Stats docker and it seems like it cannot read GPU temp and fan speed.

I'm having a similar experience. Additional arguments other than powerlimit seem to make no difference on hashrate for me. Given enough power, I'm getting 30 MH/s on my Vega 56 no matter what I set the cclock and mclock to.

Hi, i have the docker running, but it doesn't seem to be generating any Eth. Does this log help at all?

[95mGPU1: 38C 0% 8W
GPUs power: 8.2 W
[96mEth speed: 0.000 MH/s, shares: 0/0/0, time: 0:01
[96mEth speed: 0.000 MH/s, shares: 0/0/0, time: 0:01
Eth speed: 0.000 MH/s, shares: 0/0/0, time: 0:01
Eth speed: 0.000 MH/s, shares: 0/0/0, time: 0:02
[95mGPU1: 38C 0% 8W
GPUs power: 8.2 W
[96mEth speed: 0.000 MH/s, shares: 0/0/0, time: 0:02

[97m*** 0:02 *** 4/19 22:03 **************************************
[96mEth: Mining Unknown on stratum.slushpool.com:3333 for 0:02
[0mEth: Accepted shares 0 (0 stales), rejected shares 0 (0 stales)
Eth: Incorrect shares 0 (0.00%), est. stales percentage 0.00%
[96mEth: Average speed (5 min): 0.000 MH/s
Eth: Effective speed: 0.00 MH/s; at pool: 0.00 MH/s

Anyone having any luck with the core clock and memory arguments? 

I have a pair of 5700xt's I'm trying to setup but I can't get them to undervolt/underclock.  One is a reference card and the other is an MSI Evoke.  Both are pretty crap when it comes to cooling so I'm trying to run them at ~1300 core 750mv and 1800 memory clock.  The settings work fine in windows for either card.  Phoenix just ignores what I put in and runs them stock.  I even tried to modify the bios to set a limit with more power tools and the docker just crashes.  Again, works in windows fine.

I have privileged mode on and add the following to the arguments line:

-tt -70 -hstats 2 -cclock 1350 -cvddc 750 -mclock 900 (also tried 1800 since I wasn't sure exactly what the miner wanted here)

The -tt command works, since the fan spins up immediately to 70%.  -hstats works and gives me the details I want.  Nothing else applies.

Solved this in subsequent post below, leaving this here for anybody else running into the same issue. 

Can you take a look at my logs and help me figure out why I just get disconnected as soon as I connect, and nothing is happening as far as mining goes?  Sorry, I'll freely admit I'm terrible with Linux. I just use my unRAID server for Plex, but I barely know what I'm doing there as well :) I added a second video card and put in the correct GPU UUID in, and I think I got everything else "correct" but clearly I've bollocksed up something here. After the last line, it just keeps repeating the connection and connection closed. On my Windows desktop, I have nanominer for nanopool installed, and it's running just fine. Figured this would be fairly easy and similar to configuring that, I was wrong it seems :)

Project: PhoenixMiner 5.5c

Wallet: 0x98e8F617DB907aD48F535dCFE49De6E75c154704
Pool: eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:9433

Starting PhoenixMiner 5.5c as uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root) with the following arguments:
-pool eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:9433 -wal <mywallet>.x -tt 75 -tstop 85 -tstart 80 -cdm 1 -cdmport 5450 -coin eth -worker unRAID -proto 2 -pool2 eth-us-west1.nanopool.org:9433 -gpus 1

[0mCUDA version: 11.0, CUDA runtime: 8.0

[97mAvailable GPUs for mining:
[92mGPU1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (pcie 3), CUDA cap. 6.1, 7.9 GB VRAM, 15 CUs
[93mUnable to load NVML
[96mEth: the pool list contains 2 pools (2 from command-line)
Eth: primary pool: eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:9433
[0mStarting GPU mining
[96mEth: Connecting to ethash pool eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:9433 (proto: EthProxy)
[92mEth: Connected to ethash pool eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:9433 (192.99.69.170)
[93mEth: Connection closed by the pool
[96mEth: Reconnecting in 5 seconds...
[97mListening for CDM remote manager at port 5450 in read-only mode

Edited by BioHazardous

Solved I believe, looks like the default password parameter that gets added as a .x at the end of your wallet ID for my pool is actually used as the mining rig name, and then I added my email address as -pass since that's used as a "password" for my pool with nanopool.org

Sorry, one other question. Is there a way to add my email to be passed along?  Was just looking into my settings, and apparently I can't change anything without an email address tied to all my workers, just added one to my Windows worker, but don't see what parameter to use with Phoenixminer to do this. 

Edited by BioHazardous
  • Like 1

I think I may have figured out both issues I was facing. Onto the next one. PhoenixStats doesn't show temp or fan speed, and I have a feeling that's why the temp and fan speed aren't being controlled. PhoenixMiner is running privileged. I have the GPU Statistics plugin, and I put my GTX 1070 card on it since I couldn't see anything in PhoenixStats, and it was at 50% fan and 79C, so I shut it down since nothing seemed like it was being controlled with my settings of target temp of 70C, fan min speed of 70%, etc.  

Here's my additional arguments:

-coin eth -worker unRAID -proto 2 -pool2 stratum+tcp://eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:9999 -gpus 1 -pass [email protected] -fanmin 70

My safety temp is 70, stop temp is 79, resume is 76. 

Oh and my Pool address was the issue before. I had found some link that showed some nanopool settings for PhoenixMiner, and saw they used ssl:// in front of the address, added that, and it worked. Also added my email as -pass. 

Anyway, it was at 79, and didn't stop running also, so I feel like for some reason, the Docker isn't getting any of the info from the GPU other than it exists. 

image.png.b2da06198c0a7a80bcd223886ec886c5.png

Edited by BioHazardous

I'm receiving a "No GPU available" error. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080. Is there something specific that should be in the GPU Device field? It's currently populated with "/dev/dri:/dev/dri"  I have privileged mode on.

[0mProject: PhoenixMiner 5.5c

Wallet: 0x51330857015368858B39409dF5dB8cE8F005a9B1
Pool: us2.ethermine.org:4444

-pool us2.ethermine.org:4444 -wal 0x51330857015368858B39409dF5dB8cE8F005a9B1.x -tt 75 -tstop 85 -tstart 80 -cdm 1 -cdmport 5450

[0mNo CUDA driver found
[91mNo avaiable GPUs for mining. Please check your drivers and/or hardware.
[0m

Hello @letrain, @lenny7474, @truthfulie, @captaincu, @joshallen2k, @ptrang, @Maldar, @braydination, @BioHazardous, @melbatoast_355

So I went on holiday expecting to have an internet connection, but I didn't. So I'm very sorry for the delay. Anyway, here goes with my answers to everyone's queries. Sorry if I missed some details there was a lot to read through :P

On 4/18/2021 at 12:16 AM, letrain said:

But I can't seem to get my rx580 8gb over 24 m/h. I can get 27-30 in windows and still have the same heat and power consumption
my 2070super mining as .. I can hit 70 m/h combined with the same temps in windows. But I'm stuck at 62 m/h with your docker

Looks like you've done the right thing. I get around 29.5 on my RX 580 8GB, can you please share the arguments you're trying to use it with?

EDIT: Also your issue possibly ties in with @truthfulie, @captaincu and @Maldar's. Please share your diagnostics.zip if you can.

---------------------------------------

On 4/18/2021 at 11:30 AM, lenny7474 said:

I am having some issues getting my docker to work properly. It starts, but does not mine. The 'unable to load NVML' is what I have suspected to be the issue, but cannot find any unRAID related threads about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[93mUnable to load NVML

unRAID version: Version 6.9.2 2021-04-07

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: GTX 1070

RAM:  16GB

Definitely the problem yup. Sadly I don't have an NVIDIA card to test (yet). What version of the Nvidia drivers are you using on your Unraid host? Looks like it's a problem with some of the newer driver versions.

On 4/18/2021 at 4:30 PM, truthfulie said:

EDIT:

On 4/19/2021 at 10:50 AM, captaincu said:

I'm having a similar experience. Additional arguments other than powerlimit seem to make no difference on hashrate for me. Given enough power, I'm getting 30 MH/s on my Vega 56 no matter what I set the cclock and mclock to.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:42 AM, Maldar said:

Anyone having any luck with the core clock and memory arguments? 

Do you guys mind terribly sharing your diagnostics.zip? I'll need to get more info on this one to work out what's going on with specific configs.

On 4/20/2021 at 12:03 PM, joshallen2k said:

Hi, i have the docker running, but it doesn't seem to be generating any Eth. Does this log help at all?

Looks like PhoenixMiner can't work out what you want to mine, can you please share the start of the logs and also some screenshots of your config:

On 4/20/2021 at 12:03 PM, joshallen2k said:

[96mEth: Mining Unknown on stratum.slushpool.com:3333 for 0:02

On 4/21/2021 at 12:19 PM, ptrang said:

could you help me understand how you'd get the 3060 beta driver (hash limiter unlocked) at unraid level?  I think that's the reason why he's running his card in a windows vm

You mean a beta version like this one right? Sorry I have no idea, @ich777 is a genius with these things though. This thread is probably a good place to start. Looks like they're possibly supported out of the box with that plugin but I might be wrong. 

On 4/26/2021 at 8:59 PM, braydination said:

Is there a way to throttle the GPU power on an AMD card?

I've been able to successfully do it with my NVIDIA card, but not sure of the command to do so with AMD.

Yup the -powlim argument will do this:

-powlim <n> Set GPU power limit in % (from -75 to 75, 0 for default)

18 hours ago, melbatoast_355 said:

I'm receiving a "No GPU available" error. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080. Is there something specific that should be in the GPU Device field? It's currently populated with "/dev/dri:/dev/dri"  I have privileged mode on.

Can you please share some screenshots of your config and the advanced page?

@BioHazardous thanks for letting me know I was needed over here! And well done working out your first two issues. You're spot on with the SSL config, etc. Sorry I wasn't around to save you some time. 

On 4/29/2021 at 11:38 AM, BioHazardous said:

I think I may have figured out both issues I was facing. Onto the next one. PhoenixStats doesn't show temp or fan speed, and I have a feeling that's why the temp and fan speed aren't being controlled. PhoenixMiner is running privileged. I have the GPU Statistics plugin, and I put my GTX 1070 card on it since I couldn't see anything in PhoenixStats, and it was at 50% fan and 79C, so I shut it down since nothing seemed like it was being controlled with my settings of target temp of 70C, fan min speed of 70%, etc.  

Here's my additional arguments:

-coin eth -worker unRAID -proto 2 -pool2 stratum+tcp://eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:9999 -gpus 1 -pass [email protected] -fanmin 70

My safety temp is 70, stop temp is 79, resume is 76. 

Anyway, it was at 79, and didn't stop running also, so I feel like for some reason, the Docker isn't getting any of the info from the GPU other than it exists. 

Haha I was just writing to ask if you have the GPU statistics plugin installed before I re-read your post and realised you do. With AMD cards, that can conflict with PhoenixMiner being able to get the Fan Speed of whichever GPU it's set to. I don't think it should conflict with the temperature as well but it might with Nvidia hardware, I'm not certain.

If you have another GPU, can you please try temporarily setting the stats to a GPU that's not used by the container, or removing the plugin temporarily?

Edited by lnxd
12 minutes ago, lnxd said:

You mean a beta version like this one right? Sorry I have no idea, @ich777 is a genius with these things though. This thread is probably a good place to start. Looks like they're possibly supported out of the box with that plugin but I might be wrong. 

@ptrang I don't know which driver version this is but there are a few drivers in the plugin that you can choose from, I thought this beta driver is only Windows based...

• Thanks 1