[Support] lnxd - PhoenixMiner

On 5/21/2021 at 11:30 PM, softdrinker said:

Hello,

Nice docker image, just have some problems with overclocking nvidia RTX 3070 GPU, nothing happens with additionnals parameters with :

Can you please run the container for 5 minutes and share the logs it generates in a .txt file? Thanks!

3 hours ago, C0bra_2056 said:

i got a problem that the phoenixminer ignores my additional parameters:

-cclock 1100 -cvddc 950 -mclock 2150

Hey @C0bra_2056 I'm getting closer to a possible solution for this issue. It appears the in-tree amdgpu drivers (the ones that Unraid use) don't support most of the OC functions PhoenixMiner supplies, it doesn't give an error because the drivers in my container do so it thinks it's working. This doesn't happen with Nvidia cards because of @ich777's Nvidia Driver Plugin and driver install script that this container relies on.

For now to reduce your power draw you'll want to use the -powlim argument to set a negative power limit (ie. start with -powlim -50) until you hit a comfortable power draw with a reasonable hash rate. Hopefully once the underlying issue is resolved you'll be able to increase your hash rate using the OC arguments with nvidia cards while maintaining a lower power draw. Heads up though, if you have never used these arguments previously, they might not result as well as you are hoping due to the memory timings set in the default BIOS so you might need to play around a bit to get everything perfect. I have an RX580 and had fun with this previously. 

11 minutes ago, Richard Baguley said:

Hey all trying to get this working with my PowerColor rx6800, but it isn't working. I've tried every combination of drivers, and it seems to start up okay, getting jobs from nanopool, but not sending any results. Eventually, it fails out with this in the log

Can you please also run the container for 5 minutes with the 21.10 drivers selected and share your logs in a .txt file?

Edited by lnxd
3 minutes ago, Richard Baguley said:

Sure, see below. I can't attach it for some reason so I pasted it in.

This is likely one of two things: 1. Your GPU is stuck unable to reset (unlikely), 2. The drivers aren't installed properly (likely). If restarting isn't much of an issue to you, please restart and try again. If you're reluctant to restart or that doesn't fix it, bare with me, I'm going to push out a quick build that hopefully lets the drivers install properly. 

10 minutes ago, lnxd said:

This is likely one of two things: 1. Your GPU is stuck unable to reset (unlikely), 2. The drivers aren't installed properly (likely). If restarting isn't much of an issue to you, please restart and try again. If you're reluctant to restart or that doesn't fix it, bare with me, I'm going to push out a quick build that hopefully lets the drivers install properly. 

I'll try restarting. It's no biggie. Should I change the driver version?

Just now, Richard Baguley said:

I'll try restarting. It's no biggie. Should I change the driver version?

Perfect. Also stick to 21.10 for now, I think (according to the PhoenixMiner changelog) it should be the best for your GPU. Too old and you will get Segmentation Errors, if you try to get fancy and use a driver version not specifically listed by the PM devs as having support your your GPU it usually either fails or is just super unreliable.

Okay, I tried rebooting, but it is still doing the same thing, except there is no entry in the log file. Looks like this:

Eth: New job #02b9bc3f from eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999; diff: 10000MH
[96mEth speed: 0.000 MH/s, shares: 0/0/0, time: 0:01
[0mEth: New job #bb0fd823 from eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999; diff: 10000MH

[0m

9 minutes ago, Richard Baguley said:

Okay, I tried rebooting, but it is still doing the same thing, except there is no entry in the log file. Looks like this:

Damn, I've updated the driver installer and it's on a testing tag. If you could please jump across to that and let me know how you go: lnxd/phoenixminer:testing-21.10

Nope, same thing.  

[95mGPU1: 44C 0% 9W
GPUs power: 9.0 W

[0mEth: New job #6551024b from eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999; diff: 10000MH
[96mEth speed: 0.000 MH/s, shares: 0/0/0, time: 0:03

[0mPhoenix Miner 5.6d Linux/gcc - Release build
--------------------------------------------

Waiting 15 s for previous instance to close

6 minutes ago, Richard Baguley said:

Nope, same thing.  

Damn, how about with 20.45 also on the testing-21.10 tag? This is the oldest driver version that should support your card. 

Added support for AMD Linux drivers 20.45-1164792 and 20.45-1188099. Use this drivers
    only if you have RX6800 or RX6900 GPU. WARNING: Vega and Navi GPUs wont' work with these
    drivers!

If that fails again please share the full logs, the difference I'm looking for is whether it recognises the model of your GPU. Your logs last time just showed the PCI-E device ID. 

EDIT: Also before running the container please ensure another instance isn't using your GPU. All PhoenixMiner containers should be stopped, then run: 

ps -u $USER | grep -i phoenixminer

And make sure there is no output. If there is, PhoenixMiner must be running in the background somewhere. 

Edited by lnxd
25 minutes ago, lnxd said:

Damn, how about with 20.45 also on the testing-21.10 tag? This is the oldest driver version that should support your card. 

Added support for AMD Linux drivers 20.45-1164792 and 20.45-1188099. Use this drivers
    only if you have RX6800 or RX6900 GPU. WARNING: Vega and Navi GPUs wont' work with these
    drivers!

If that fails again please share the full logs, the difference I'm looking for is whether it recognises the model of your GPU. Your logs last time just showed the PCI-E device ID. 

EDIT: Also before running the container please ensure another instance isn't using your GPU. All PhoenixMiner containers should be stopped, then run: 

ps -u $USER | grep -i phoenixminer

And make sure there is no output. If there is, PhoenixMiner must be running in the background somewhere. 

Okay, used 20.45: same problem. I was able to capture the log this time: see attached. 

Once the container had stopped, I did the grep: 

root@John:~# ps -u $USER | grep -i phoenixminer
root     27848  0.0  0.0   3908  1916 pts/0    S+   22:26   0:00 grep -i phoenixminer
root@John:~# 

I know the card is good: have done some mining on another machine with it. Happy to try anything else tomorrow. Let me know what's next!

phoenix-logs.txt

4 minutes ago, Richard Baguley said:

Okay, used 20.45: same problem. I was able to capture the log this time: see attached. 

Once the container had stopped, I did the grep: 

root@John:~# ps -u $USER | grep -i phoenixminer
root     27848  0.0  0.0   3908  1916 pts/0    S+   22:26   0:00 grep -i phoenixminer
root@John:~# 

I know the card is good: have done some mining on another machine with it. Happy to try anything else tomorrow. Let me know what's next!

phoenix-logs.txt 8.71 kB · 0 downloads

Awesome to see! So the logs show your card is being detected now which means driver installation worked, and the output of that command confirms that there is another instance running which is why it is not generating a DAG file (as there's already one) and it's failing probably because there's not enough resources available. Maybe restarting your server again will fix it, but clear your image cache first: 

docker image prune -a

Reboot your server, then change back to lnxd/phoenixminer:latest

Edited by lnxd

I'm having trouble with PhoenixMiner. Not connecting to any shares on Nanopool. I've tried a number of settings/suggestions from online posts, but no luck. Here is what the logs keep repeating:

Eth: Mining Unknown on >ssl://eth-us-east1.nanopool.org for 0:01
Available GPUs for mining:
GPU1: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 460 Graphics (pcie 1), OpenCL 1.2, 4 GB VRAM, 16 CUs
GPU1: 39C 0% 7W
GPUs power: 7.1 W
Current -gt 15
Eth: Accepted shares 0 (0 stales), rejected shares 0 (0 stales)
Eth: Incorrect shares 0 (0.00%), est. stales percentage 0.00%
Eth: Average speed (5 min): 0.000 MH/s
Eth: Effective speed: 0.00 MH/s; at pool: 0.00 MH/s

Just now, joshallen2k said:

I'm having trouble with PhoenixMiner. Not connecting to any shares on Nanopool. I've tried a number of settings/suggestions from online posts, but no luck. Here is what the logs keep repeating:

Eth: Mining Unknown on >ssl://eth-us-east1.nanopool.org for 0:01
Available GPUs for mining:
GPU1: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 460 Graphics (pcie 1), OpenCL 1.2, 4 GB VRAM, 16 CUs
GPU1: 39C 0% 7W
GPUs power: 7.1 W
Current -gt 15
Eth: Accepted shares 0 (0 stales), rejected shares 0 (0 stales)
Eth: Incorrect shares 0 (0.00%), est. stales percentage 0.00%
Eth: Average speed (5 min): 0.000 MH/s
Eth: Effective speed: 0.00 MH/s; at pool: 0.00 MH/s

Hey @joshallen2k, to get around the Mining Unknown error you could force it to use an algorithm. But sadly your card only has 4gb of VRAM which isn't enough to mine Eth efficiently as it's below the current DAG size. It won't be as profitable, but if you want to mine with this card you'll have to mine something else. 

12 hours ago, lnxd said:

For now to reduce your power draw you'll want to use the -powlim argument to set a negative power limit (ie. start with -powlim -50) until you hit a comfortable power draw with a reasonable hash rate.

@lnxd I gaved it a try, started with your suggestion of -50, well the gpu was not responding anymore.

Funny fact, it crashes the web gui and makes it not responding anymore.

Why is it so that unraid gets offended when a gpu crashes?

Only after a restart its possible to use the gpu and the web gui again.

Thx for the suggestionwith -powlim, found a good setting for the graphics card. Thx for the support and development.

Edited by C0bra_2056
11 hours ago, lnxd said:

Hey @joshallen2k, to get around the Mining Unknown error you could force it to use an algorithm. But sadly your card only has 4gb of VRAM which isn't enough to mine Eth efficiently as it's below the current DAG size. It won't be as profitable, but if you want to mine with this card you'll have to mine something else. 

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Any suggestions on an alternative for Eth that would make sense to mine with this card?

12 hours ago, lnxd said:

Reboot your server, then change back to lnxd/phoenixminer:latest

Trying this now, but it hasn't worked the first couple 'o times I did it: same  thread not responding error. I am trying a few variations on driver version to see if that helps.

One thing to note: I did see that, even if I don't change the driver version, it reinstalls the driver every time I run it. Is that a useful thing to note?

• 2 weeks later...

A stupid beginner question: but I can't get this running.  It keeps telling me "No avaiable GPUs for mining. Please check your drivers and/or hardware."

in the setup it asks for the GUID of the video card:  is this what I find in system devices between the parenthesis:  ie 10de:2206?

Also - I put in '--runtime=nvidia' to your 'Extra Parameters' in the Advanced View as per the instructions but it wouldn't even start then so I took it out.

On 5/24/2021 at 8:55 AM, softdrinker said:

Thank you for your answer.

Yes sure, here my logs :

PhoenixMinerOC_RTX3070.txtUnavailable

This is an awesome docker image, I got it running but like a few people here, the only issue is that extra miner arguments are not being passed through. I got the nvidia plugin working and it's miner properly at default power limit and default memory. 

I have tried using different nvidia plugin versions e.g. 465, 460 etc. and it's all the same. 

I have privileged on as well. 

Funny enough, I also got an RTX3070 for mining as well. 

If we can get to the bottom of this, this will be the best way to mine!!

11 hours ago, Ystebad said:

A stupid beginner question: but I can't get this running.  It keeps telling me "No avaiable GPUs for mining. Please check your drivers and/or hardware."

in the setup it asks for the GUID of the video card:  is this what I find in system devices between the parenthesis:  ie 10de:2206?

Also - I put in '--runtime=nvidia' to your 'Extra Parameters' in the Advanced View as per the instructions but it wouldn't even start then so I took it out.

You will need the '--runtime=nvidia' to your 'Extra Parameters' 

The UUID should look like this 'GPU-9082b20d-ba3e-8c55-641c-0fe436636785'

14 hours ago, LaMMi said:

You will need the '--runtime=nvidia' to your 'Extra Parameters' 

The UUID should look like this 'GPU-9082b20d-ba3e-8c55-641c-0fe436636785'

@LaMMiUnder tools/system devices I see no such information.  The line for my video card shows this:

IOMMU group 24:[10de:2206] 21:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GA102 [GeForce RTX 3080] (rev a1).  Where can I find the UUID?  Sorry such a stupid question.

And when I put the runtime info into extra parameters I get this:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker create --name='PhoenixMiner' --net='bridge' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'WALLET'='deleted for this log report...' -e 'POOL'='eth-us-east.flexpool.io:5555' -e 'PASSWORD'='x' -e 'TT'='75' -e 'TSTOP'='85' -e 'TSTART'='80' -e 'ADDITIONAL'='' -e 'DRIVERV'='20.20' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='10de:2206' -e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES'='all' -p '5450:5450/tcp' --device='/dev/dri:/dev/dri' '--runtime=nvidia' 'lnxd/phoenixminer' 

Error response from daemon: Unknown runtime specified nvidia

The command failed.

Edited by Ystebad

Is it posible to use SSL for this?  I put port 5555 as recommended per flex pool for ssl access to their pool but it won't connect.

SOLVED IT:

Figured it out: you have to change the pool setting, ie.: "ssl://eth-us-east.flexpool.io:5555". you can't just put the ssl port at the end you have to preface the pool name with ssl://

Edited by Ystebad
figured out my own problem

I can't seem to get the power settings to change anything.

I am running a GTX3080 with additional phoenix parameters: -powlim -35 -cclock -200 -mclock +1200 -tt -80

logs show:

[96mEth speed: 86.820 MH/s, shares: 59/0/0, time: 0:48
[0mEth: New job #810a28b0 from eth-us-east.flexpool.io:4444; diff: 4000MH
[95mGPU1: 78C 90% 337W

From what I understand I should be around 230 watts with these settings so they don't seem like they are reducing my power levels at all.

edit: I don't think it's passing any of my command arguments through as I also added -tt -100 to set fan to run 100% and it doesn't do that either but seems to run based on temp curve.

Really hope someone will step in and help me with this!  Please

Edited by Ystebad