During inactivity HDD still writes

HI,

i noticed my HDD still works if I'm not using my unRaid also. Is it possible because I installed Plex server and it works in background?? is it possible that  hard drives fail if they write all day?

And, sorry if it's OT about my Topic, but... I use my array only to storage my films for KODI, e my question is: have I to use the cache or it's not so important?  

tks!!

2 hours ago, Gragorg said:

If your plex appdata is on your array then plex will make some writes and prevent that drive from spinning down. Ideally a cache drive is recommended for  all appdata. 

So, is it better to put my appdata out of my array? or maybe use a dedicate HDD for Plex?  

Yes.  Put your appdata (plex and other dockers) on a cache drive preferably SSD. This will stop writes to the array and will allow the array disks to spin down. You will also be very surprised how much faster Plex performs. You can use mover to move your appdata once you get cache installed. 

6 minutes ago, Gragorg said:

Yes.  Put your appdata (plex and other dockers) on a cache drive preferably SSD. This will stop writes to the array and will allow the array disks to spin down. You will also be very surprised how much faster Plex performs. You can use mover to move your appdata once you get cache installed. 

sorry for my beginner question.. it's a new "word" for me... how can take and put my appdata (with Plex too) on my cache drive (yes is a SSD)??  My appdata is on my third and 5th HDD.. Have I to share my ssd and change in the Share Setting the "Included disks" into SSD or... is there an another method, like Drag and drop??

I assume you have the docker for plex set up and running?  If so go to your shares tab.  On appdata set cache to “prefer”. Stop all your dockers and go to settings and disable docker. Hit the “move now” button on the main page and allow it to finish. It could take a long time as plex appdata has a lot of small files. When done enable docker and start your dockers up.  I assume your plex appdata is already in the appdata share. 

Edited by Gragorg
18 minutes ago, Gragorg said:

I assume you have the docker for plex up and running?  If so so to your share for appdata and set cache to “prefer”. Stop all your dockers and go to settings and disable docker. Hit the “move now” button on the main page and allow it to finish. It could take a long time as plex appdata has a lot of small files. When done enable docker and start your dockers up.  

you're assuming right! But my appdata directory is on two of my six hdd. Is better to change directory to ssd?  

Anyway I've done every your steps and now I'm reading "Mover is Running"

Edited by Alcarimon
13 hours ago, Gragorg said:

Yes put it on SSD cache drive

... this is the problem.. how can do it?? For now appdata is in my Array (on 3th an 5th HDD)  and the SSD works only for Cache. To change the Appdata directory is enough to set SSD instead of the previous HDD?? OR... put in share the SSD (cache) also and will I use the browser as the others folders? 

Edited by Alcarimon
5 minutes ago, trurl said:

According to your diagnostics appdata and domains are now completely on cache, but system has files on the array.

Do you have any VMs?

HI Constructor,

no i don,'t. 

I installed Plex Only 

It's my first UnRaid and I'm using it for storage my films that I reproduce by a Nvidia Shield with Kodi installed 

i installed Plex, only for TV Series and other videos (cartoons or others terrible videos) for my daughters.

tks

What @trurl is talking about your system/appdata is on your array not on your SSD aka what most of us refer to as your Cache drive. 

By keeping your dockers and VM's on your SSD/Cache drive set to Only it will keep your VM's, Docker files on your SSD/Cache so it doesn't spin up your drives when it checks and does things. It will also increase your load speeds of Plex by a HUGE margin because it doesn't have to spin up drives to display thumbnails and other data. 

You mentioned that you have Plex installed on Drives 3 and 5. Are you talking about your Media or the actual Plex docker? Your media can be spanned like that, but I wouldn't encourage having your Plex docker spanned on two different disks like that. Could cause some issues. 

3 hours ago, trurl said:

HI Newbie,

What do you get from the command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system

ahahaha Sorry Trurl... I'm careless.. but careless is not a correct objective that I'd use in Italian...

this:

Linux 4.19.107-Unraid.
root@Tower:~# ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 4 nobody users 47 Feb 28 12:11 ./
drwxrwxrwx 4 nobody users 34 Mar  7 14:58 ../
drwxrwxrwx 2 root   root  24 Feb 28 12:11 docker/
drwxrwxrwx 2 root   root  33 Feb 28 12:11 libvirt/

3 hours ago, kizer said:

What @trurl is talking about your system/appdata is on your array not on your SSD aka what most of us refer to as your Cache drive. 

By keeping your dockers and VM's on your SSD/Cache drive set to Only it will keep your VM's, Docker files on your SSD/Cache so it doesn't spin up your drives when it checks and does things. It will also increase your load speeds of Plex by a HUGE margin because it doesn't have to spin up drives to display thumbnails and other data. 

You mentioned that you have Plex installed on Drives 3 and 5. Are you talking about your Media or the actual Plex docker? Your media can be spanned like that, but I wouldn't encourage having your Plex docker spanned on two different disks like that. Could cause some issues. 

HI kizer,

if the default  apps directory is in appdata I think that involuntary I installed plex there... 1600109796_Schermata2021-03-24alle23_34_05.thumb.png.761c3716c03b9c56abc524242c14fa32.png

536756162_Schermata2021-03-24alle23_23_48.thumb.png.383b1a33effd46ad046359230fa712fd.png

The shared files for PleX are in my array, but that is my choice 

.... sorry for my bad English....

1 hour ago, Alcarimon said:

Linux 4.19.107-Unraid.
root@Tower:~# ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 4 nobody users 47 Feb 28 12:11 ./
drwxrwxrwx 4 nobody users 34 Mar  7 14:58 ../
drwxrwxrwx 2 root   root  24 Feb 28 12:11 docker/
drwxrwxrwx 2 root   root  33 Feb 28 12:11 libvirt/

Since you don't have any VMs you could just go to Settings - VM Manager, disable and delete libvirt.img

ls -lah /mnt/cache/system

20 hours ago, trurl said:

VM Manager, disable and delete libvirt.im

I setted in "NO" VMs but  How or where can delete libvirt.im?

20 hours ago, trurl said:

root@Tower:~# ls -lah /mnt/cache/system
total 16K
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 26 Feb 28 12:11 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 40 Feb 20 10:48 ../
drwxrwxrwx 1 root   root  20 Feb 28 12:11 docker/
drwxrwxrwx 1 root   root  22 Feb 28 12:11 libvirt/
root@Tower:~# 

now is my cache SSD and no my array that works and writes all time!! I suppose that the problem is Plex... but is it a problem or it's normal with Plex??

+

Edited by Alcarimon