i7 cpu (10th gen or wait?) & motherboard recommendation.

I'm looking to upgrade my cpu and motherboard. Due to the use of plex it needs to be Intel for igpu hardware transcoding. 

I'm thinking to go with an i7 10700 as I don't believe there is much improvement for the upcoming 11700 overall. But it does come with a newer igpu, so I've been wondering if that might make any difference worth waiting for? 

Dockers I will be running:

Plex 

Radarr / sonarr

Sabnzb

Deluge

Nextcloud 

Openvpn

Mariadb

Mongodb

Ombi

Pihole

Swag 

Self made docker (running scripts in a browser hourly) 

(Probably more in the future) 

And I'll be running 1-2 VMs. 

I currently have 4 SATA HDDs / SSDs and 2 m2 SSDs for cache. So total 6 storage devices

With this upgrade I will also add 2 more HDDs (I believe I need to upgrade my unraid to "pro" for this? Or do cache disks not count?) 

I'm thinking about one of the following 2 motherboards:

ASRock B460M Steel Legend

MSI MAG B460M Mortar

These are about the same price, I picked them for 2x M2 support, 6 sata ports and 2.5gbps ethernet. I've heard a lot of praise about asrock on this forum so I'm leaning towards the asrock one. But I'd love to hear opinions for one of these or even a different one. Same goes for the cpu.

In the future I may add a pcie sata card to add more HDDs. 

Thanks in advance ^^

19 hours ago, Hedgy said:

I'm thinking to go with an i7 10700 as I don't believe there is much improvement for the upcoming 11700 overall. But it does come with a newer igpu, so I've been wondering if that might make any difference worth waiting for? 

The iGPU of my i7-9700 can easily transcode 8x 4K to 1080p/8MBit (Plex HW-transcoding) - so enough Power with this "old" iGPU 😉

If you plan to use a 10700, you need to take v6.9.1

Edited by Zonediver
1 hour ago, Zonediver said:

The iGPU of my i7-9700 can easily transcode 8x 4K to 1080p/8MBit (Plex HW-transcoding) - so enough Power with this "old" iGPU 😉

If you plan to use a 10700, you need to take v6.9.1

ah I see, that seems like plenty (but more is always better if a new one is just around the corner ^^)

So the 10700 requires the newest version of unraid? That's not a problem, but now I wonder if the 11700 may not work until another new version of unraid? Or was there something special about the 10700 that caused it not to work on older versions? 

20 hours ago, Hedgy said:

ah I see, that seems like plenty (but more is always better if a new one is just around the corner ^^)

So the 10700 requires the newest version of unraid? That's not a problem, but now I wonder if the 11700 may not work until another new version of unraid? Or was there something special about the 10700 that caused it not to work on older versions? 

...depends on the Kernel... the CPU might work, but the NICs don't.

Edited by Zonediver