3 computers into 1

wobblewoo

Hello

I have an HP Gen 8 microserver (all specs below) running UnRaid which mostly just shares files to my Plex server but also holds my music collection (played via Sonos) and photo library. I've also got two other computers, an i5 Plex server (running ubuntu) which also has a Minecraft server and a third PC workstation that rarely gets used.

I do most of my work on a Mac, not from the server, but that's not the point of this question.

I want to get rid of the three (old) computers and replace it with one Unraid box which can share files, run Plex and Minecraft (Both low bandwidth) but also VM a windows machine when needed. My current HP Microserver obv doesn't have the ability to run windows which i use from time to time - or run Plex etc.

I can repurpose tech from my existing machines i think i just need a case, processor, cooling fan and RAM. Ive got screens/keyboard/mouse and extra hardware as below.

Can anyone suggest a processor and motherboard please? ECC would be good and onboard graphics. One reason I'm not repurposing my PC workstation is that it doesn't have onboard graphics which causes a problem with Unraid.

Existing 'spare' hardware
EVGA 750W GQ power supply
3x Noctua NF-S12A 120mm fans
2x 480Gb Sandisk plus SSD
1x 240Gb Sandisk Plus SSD
AMD Sapphire RX580 8Gb Card

Equipment playing to repurpose:
4x3Tb WD Reds
8Gb Nvidea GTX 1070 SC (undecided if i want AMD or NVidea yet)
LSI Disk Controller
Intel dual NIC
4 port USB

HP Microserver Gen 8 running Unraid 6.9.1
Celeron CPU G1610T @ 2.30GHz (2 core)
4Gb ECC Memory
Dual Gigabit (and Unused ILO)
4x 3Tb Wd Red Drives approx 30% full
120Gb SSD Cache
Running Krusder, PiHole & Duck DNS Dockers, no VMs
Serves shares to Mac, PC & Plex server, not heavy traffic

Standalone HP machine (Optiplex 7010) running Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 core)
8Gb Memory (non ECC)
Single Gigabit
160Gb SSD
Running Plex server, Minecraft server (2 users) and VNC

HP400 workstation
Xeon W3680 3.33Ghz (6C 12T)
480Gb SSD sandisk ssd plus
24Gb ECC RAM (6x 4gb)
DVD Drive
intel pro 1000 dual networking D33682
LSI SAS 2008 Falcon

Many thanks, I'm getting confused with choices.

Yes that would work except I wouldn't want anything rack mounted.

It's just I had alot of kit spare I could repurpose so went down the motherboard/processor route. Guess I could just sell it. 

I'll look into equivalent tower servers like the one you suggested. An ML350 perhaps. 

Thanks for the suggestion

• 3 weeks later...

Im thinking: Supermicro X10SLL-F Micro-ATX Motherboard with a Xeon 1240L v3 (or v4) and 16Gb ECC RAM. I can get that at a decent price.

Its got Dual Gb NIC, IPMI and enough USBs

I get 8 threads, at 25W TDP, all i need.
Ive got an Nvidea 1070 and an AMD 580 to passthrough for a VM
Ive got 4 WD 3TB Drives (all i need) and multiple SSDs for Cache/VM
Ive got a power supply and fans.

Im pretty sure i can find a Micro ATX case with support for 6 drives.

I've purchased a Supermicro X10SLL-F with an 8 thread Xeon and 32GB ECC. Ive flashed the HBA (An LSI SAS 2912) Im just waiting for delivery of my Fractal R6 then ill move everything over.

Regards the UnRaid USB and Hard drives (4x 3.5 3TB WD Reds [1 parity, 3 data] and 1x SSD) how do you move them over? Is it simply a case of move them all over and reboot?

I can obv set the fixed IP to be the same etc, its the drives i dont know what to do with.

Edited by wobblewoo

1) make sure your current config is NOT set to auto start the array.

2) note the position of each drive, as listed in unRAID.  cross-reference with the serial# on each disk if needed. TAKE SPECIAL NOTE OF PARITY!

3) move the disks and flash drive to the new machine and boot.

4) your array will most likely be all wrong. do a new config, assign the disks as they were before, and ESPECIALLY THE PARITY!

5) if you did it right, you can tag the parity as VALID, and go on with your life.  otherwise, you can rebuild parity, but only AFTER you verify all your data drives are present and populated.

• Like 1

Notes taken of all the drives many thanks.

How do i do a new config? What does that mean? Do you just mean assign the drives like they were before:

Parity > WDC_WD30EFRX_XXXXXXXXX1 (sdc)

Disk 1 > WDC_WD30EFRX_XXXXXXXXX2 (sdb)

Disk 2> WDC_WD30EFRX_XXXXXXXXX3 (sdd)

etc

And verify all the data - you mean look on the drive?

Many thanks.