Powercool UPS - compatible?

Jammy B

ok, so against my better judgement [i just wanted UPS protection that i currently lost from the broken down one] i ordered the PowerCool 1000VA

plugged it in and used AutoDetect in NUT and it detected:

nutscanner.png.ea023f8ccca8dce049374b36e6c94400.png

but it kept setting the driver to blazer [which reading in the NUT manual - LINK is what is it], but then further reading and googling found this:

Discussion on the Powercool and the nutdrv-qx driver

GitHub

468701738_2021-04-02(1).png.285291533fc164d62e5f51c01fa64f3c.png

so put this [without quotes] into the ups.conf in the editor at the bottom of NUT settings and set USB driver to custom nutdrv_qx

77731983_2021-04-02(2).thumb.png.cbb61d834751f5a56319910a4dedddf4.png

661350279_2021-04-02(3).thumb.png.a9341f937f592db3fec0f5b5595bd5df.png

1141084168_2021-04-02(4).png.5cedbeed763c332e839112e5599c7b54.png

and that is the limit of capabilities.

has anyone managed to get Powercool UPS to work with NUT?

a little surprised as its such a budget/cheap UPS in the UK that if it were to work easily, it'd be a no-brainer for UK users to get one!

any advice anyone can offer, i'd appreciate it!

Edited by Jammy B

Not sure what it is you are wanting, but as long as the UPS properly signals immediately when power is lost, that's all that's needed. Set unraid to shut down after 2 or 3 minutes of outage and you will be fine. A UPS like that isn't meant to keep services running through an outage, it's to allow a safe and proper shutdown.

20 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Not sure what it is you are wanting, but as long as the UPS properly signals immediately when power is lost, that's all that's needed. Set unraid to shut down after 2 or 3 minutes of outage and you will be fine. A UPS like that isn't meant to keep services running through an outage, it's to allow a safe and proper shutdown.

That’s exactly what I’m wanting, but at the moment the two aren’t talking to each other, if it were as simple as the APC was. It’d be great. 

im after advice on how to get the two to communicate so that it can safely shut down Unraid in the event of a power cut. 

Edited by Jammy B
4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

The screenshot shows status online. Does it change when you turn off the outlet that supplies power to the UPS? Obviously all such testing needs to be done with the server powered on a separate circuit.

no, it stays ONLINE the whole time. 

Update. 

installed the powercool software on my VM within unraid. 

got the UPS to appear and when I killed the power, it recognised it. 

And then!

s7ff3tC.jpg

UnRAID recognised it too!!

but just as quickly as it saw it was off, it then went back online (and at the same time, I could not connect to the powercool on my VM any longer)

so, I’m definitely getting warmer!

bonus was seeing I’m only using 20% capacity, so it’ll last a few minutes on battery mode. 

• 2 months later...

ups.conf

Powercool 1000va

[ups]
driver = nutdrv_qx
port = auto
vendorid = 0001
productid = 0000
protocol = hunnox
langid_fix = 0x0409
novendor
noscanlangid
default.battery.voltage.high = 27.50
default.battery.voltage.low = 21.40
default.battery.voltage.nominal = 24.00

Edited by Jammy B
3 hours ago, Jammy B said:

default.battery.voltage.low = 24.00
default.battery.voltage.nominal = 21.40

Are you sure? Nominal is named voltage, which for 2 12V in series would be 24, and the voltage low needs to be the tested value just before the UPS powers down with a low battery condition. You can't just put a value in and assume it's correct. Either get the official value from the manufacturer, or test it.

15 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Are you sure? Nominal is named voltage, which for 2 12V in series would be 24, and the voltage low needs to be the tested value just before the UPS powers down with a low battery condition. You can't just put a value in and assume it's correct. Either get the official value from the manufacturer, or test it.

I had low and nominal swapped by mistake.  I corrected it after I pasted it in to my config but I forgot to correct it when I copied it over to the post above. 

It’ll do fine for now. The low figure is set from the solar battery link you posted in the other thread. 

Edited by Jammy B
7 hours ago, Jammy B said:

The low figure is set from the solar battery link you posted in the other thread. 

Which has little if any correlation to the low voltage threshold set in the UPS. If the actual setpoint in the UPS is higher, then the UPS will shut off while the NUT software thinks there should still be plenty of battery left.

You must find the correct value for your specific UPS model, either experimentally or from the manufacturer.