Why is my docker image utilization is high?

I have 32GB of ram and on the dashboard it showed 77% under docker and my server started running slow. I turned off the docker, its ram utilization max was set up 20GB and I changed it to 25GB and reenabled it. Now the server is running fine and its showing 55% usage for docker. HOWEVER when I look in the docker tab in advanced mode and add up all of the apps usage its only around 1.5-2 GB so I'm barely using any of my ram. I do not have a VM.

What could be causing this problem? I attached a diagnostics log....

Also, I'm running 6.9.1

tower-diagnostics-20210325-2228.zip

Edited by SPOautos
28 minutes ago, SPOautos said:

I have 32GB of ram and on the dashboard it showed 77% under docker

The numbers on the Dashboard in the MEMORY section are not all RAM.

image.png.0463a27e33a21babcaeb578368c9a02d.png

The RAM indicator is showing how much of your RAM is used. The Flash indicator is showing how full your flash drive is. The Log indicator is showing how full the log space is. The Docker indicator is showing how much of docker.img is used.

Now that I have cleared that up

According to your diagnostics, Docker is currently disabled but is configured for 27G docker.img.

20G is usually more than enough. In my screenshot above, I am using 50% of 20G while running 17 containers.

Making docker.img larger will not fix the problem of filling docker.img, it will only make it take longer to fill.

The usual cause of filling docker.img is an application writing to a path that isn't mapped. Note that Linux is case-sensitive, so any path specified in an application must match a container path including upper/lower case.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, trurl said:

The numbers on the Dashboard in the MEMORY section are not all RAM.

image.png.0463a27e33a21babcaeb578368c9a02d.png

The RAM indicator is showing how much of your RAM is used. The Flash indicator is showing how full your flash drive is. The Log indicator is showing how full the log space is. The Docker indicator is showing how much of docker.img is used.

Now that I have cleared that up

According to your diagnostics, Docker is currently disabled but is configured for 27G docker.img.

20G is usually more than enough. In my screenshot above, I am using 50% of 20G while running 17 containers.

Making docker.img larger will not fix the problem of filling docker.img, it will only make it take longer to fill.

The usual cause of filling docker.img is an application writing to a path that isn't mapped. Note that Linux is case-sensitive, so any path specified in an application must match a container path including upper/lower case.

Is there a good way to see if that is happening? If I had this happening wouldnt I be downloading files that I then wouldnt be able to find? For instance if Radarr had a path that didnt match up with a share, where would the downloaded file go? Does it get stored in ram or something like that?

20GB should be plenty, I just increased it because the server was running slow....it got my speed back to normal. Hopefully I can get it fixed before it fills up again.

Edited by SPOautos
2 hours ago, SPOautos said:

For instance if Radarr had a path that didnt match up with a share, where would the downloaded file go? Does it get stored in ram or something like that?

It'd be stored magically by Docker somewhere in /var/lib/docker, which is the mount point Unraid uses for docker.img. The next time the container gets updated it'll be deleted.

Next time it happens, with Docker daemon started open a terminal window and run:

docker ps --all --size

It'll take a long time, but it'll spit out something like this (scroll all the way to the right in the following code block to see the sizes):

CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                                  COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS                  PORTS                                                                                                                                                                                                                    NAMES                            SIZE
9c50c41958a2        lnxd/xmrig                             "./init.sh"              2 hours ago         Up 2 hours                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       xmrig                            3.06kB (virtual 15MB)
0a7f2f85a980        lnxd/phoenixstats                      "docker-php-entrypoi…"   4 hours ago         Up 4 hours              0.0.0.0:5449->80/tcp                                                                                                                                                                                                     PhoenixStats                     1.67kB (virtual 415MB)
083266bebb23        lnxd/github-backup                     "./backup.sh"            7 hours ago         Up 2 hours                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       github-backup                    202B (virtual 81.1MB)
8fb9e851dd0d        lnxd/phoenixminer                      "./mine.sh"              7 hours ago         Up 7 hours              0.0.0.0:5450->5450/tcp                                                                                                                                                                                                   PhoenixMiner-AMD                 6.48MB (virtual 1.61GB)

You can then double check to see if you've configured the container correctly, and haven't missed a volume map. 

4 hours ago, lnxd said:

It'd be stored magically by Docker somewhere in /var/lib/docker, which is the mount point Unraid uses for docker.img. The next time the container gets updated it'll be deleted.

Next time it happens, with Docker daemon started open a terminal window and run:

docker ps --all --size

It'll take a long time, but it'll spit out something like this (scroll all the way to the right in the following code block to see the sizes):

CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                                  COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS                  PORTS                                                                                                                                                                                                                    NAMES                            SIZE
9c50c41958a2        lnxd/xmrig                             "./init.sh"              2 hours ago         Up 2 hours                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       xmrig                            3.06kB (virtual 15MB)
0a7f2f85a980        lnxd/phoenixstats                      "docker-php-entrypoi…"   4 hours ago         Up 4 hours              0.0.0.0:5449->80/tcp                                                                                                                                                                                                     PhoenixStats                     1.67kB (virtual 415MB)
083266bebb23        lnxd/github-backup                     "./backup.sh"            7 hours ago         Up 2 hours                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       github-backup                    202B (virtual 81.1MB)
8fb9e851dd0d        lnxd/phoenixminer                      "./mine.sh"              7 hours ago         Up 7 hours              0.0.0.0:5450->5450/tcp                                                                                                                                                                                                   PhoenixMiner-AMD                 6.48MB (virtual 1.61GB)

You can then double check to see if you've configured the container correctly, and haven't missed a volume map. 

Thanks! I'll run that next time it starts getting high. I suppose stopping docker and restarting it reset the issue, so I need to wait until it starts getting slow then run it at that time.

• Like 1