Fix Common Problems - Directory Bread Errors

I'm getting "Directory Bread Errors" from the Fix Common Problems plugin.  The suggested fix says "Directory Bread errors have been found. This usually means (assuming that your flash drive didn't physically come disconnected) that your flash drive has dropped offline. The most common solution to this is to try a different USB controller for your flash drive (USB2<-->USB3)"

My boot USB drive has been in the same USB2 port since I built the server.  Any other suggestions to fix this error?  Thanks.

Edited by midnightd
Removed diagnostics zip file.
13 minutes ago, trurl said:

shut down, put flash in PC and let it check disk, while there make a backup, boot up from USB2 port.

Thanks, I will give that a shot.  I was hesitant to shut it down in case this error indicated that the flash drive was bad/corrupted because I don't have a spare.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

You should always have a current backup of flash. If you have that backup you can easily recover. If no backup, all your settings are gone including disks assignments.

I always have a couple copies of the flash backup.  I meant that I don't have a spare USB drive.  I just ordered a couple so I'll wait until I get them to try your suggestion.  Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

I have this problem too. @trurl could you advise? I have the same Directory Bread error, and copied over last week's flashdrive back-up, which is just as well, as when I went to manually trigger a back-up, the flash drive is apparently empty and so essentially just deleted any back-up at all. i will have to buy a new flashdrive in the meantime I am presuming, though my tower seems functioning now, i guess it just wouldn't be able to start up again.

is this just a case of the above advice: buy new flash drive, copy files over, plug new drive in?

thanks anyone who helps.

tower-diagnostics-20210516-0938.zip

I purchased two new USB drives and used the Unraid USB Creator application to install a recent backup of my existing flash drive.  As suggested, I powered down my Unraid server and inserted the existing USB drive into my Windows PC and ran Error Checking.  After a minute or so, it reported no errors were found.

I did notice that the slot on the motherboard that I had been using since day one without issue was USB3, and I thought I remembered reading somewhere that could cause issues.  I plugged the existing USB drive into a USB2 port, fired up Unraid and re-ran the Fix Common Problems plugin.  No more bread errors on the USB drive.  I did recently upgrade to the current version of Unraid so maybe a new driver caused a hiccup.

Thankfully I had a recent USB backup and two brand new USB drives but I'm glad I didn't need either of them.

@trurl Thank you for your advice!

• Like 1

i'll have to do this, though i'm concerned that my current flash drive is apparently empty. my only back up is from earlier this month i believe. i wasn't able to do the usual back up from unraid so just had to manually copy the files from my server, hope that's okay to build a new drive from.

1 hour ago, gellux said:

i'll have to do this, though i'm concerned that my current flash drive is apparently empty. my only back up is from earlier this month i believe. i wasn't able to do the usual back up from unraid so just had to manually copy the files from my server, hope that's okay to build a new drive from.

The flash drive suddenly going empty is never a good sign - suggests it may be about to fail :( 

That copy should be fine as long as you have made no changes to the drive configuration since that copy was made. If you have made a change since then ask for advice on how to proceed.

On 5/19/2021 at 11:38 AM, itimpi said:

The flash drive suddenly going empty is never a good sign - suggests it may be about to fail :( 

That copy should be fine as long as you have made no changes to the drive configuration since that copy was made. If you have made a change since then ask for advice on how to proceed.

no, no change to drive configuration. or anything for that matter. can you recommend a good flash drive on amazon? thanks

• 1 month later...