No network access after upgrade from 6.8.3 to 6.9.1

So I just upgraded to 6.9.1, and now there's zero network access. I can't find the eth0 in ifconfig even, and so pinging the server doesn't work, and pinging from the server also doesn't work.

I would attach my diagnostics, but I'm not sure how to transfer them over without network access 🙈

I have two NICs: one is a onboard 1Gb thingy, which probably works, but is disabled in the UEFI. The other is a 10Gb NIC add-in card. It's a Buffalo LGY-PCIE-MG, but it worked fine in 6.8.3. For this reason, I'm guessing the upgrade must've done something to mess up the driver maybe?

What's the best way to fix this?

Or, in the meantime, (and this is kind of important, as my server is totally useless now) what is the recommend downgrade path, if a fix or workaround is not currently available?

Edited by thany

Weird, after enabling the crappy onboard NIC, I can see eth0 appearing in ifconfig, but still no network access at all.

So this is getting kind of urgent now... The onboard NIC used to work fine as well before I upgraded to the 10Gb card.

Halp

2 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

Type diagnostics on the server, it will create the diagnostics zip file on the boot drive.

That only half a solution, because that's still on the server itself. Do I then just pull the USB stick (can this be done safely??) or transfer over to another USB stick?

53 minutes ago, thany said:

That only half a solution, because that's still on the server itself. Do I then just pull the USB stick (can this be done safely??) or transfer over to another USB stick?

Should have mentioned it. After a minute or two or five to let the diag do it's thing, you can then type poweroff and the server should stop.

Then take the drive to another system and post the diags here.

So, is this actually being worked on? I.e. can I expect a fix within, say, a couple of days, or should I seek a more semi-permanent workaround? Like a downgrade? And how does that work?

And if a downgrade is too tricky, what then can I do to get my server up & running again? I mean it's good to know that it's crashing, I guess, but that's only an explanation of why my problem occurs. It's not yet a solution. It also doesn't explain (to me) why my onboard NIC does show up as eth0, but isn't working.

Yeah I saw that as well, a bit after doing the upgrade.

I'm sad that the upgrade didn't warn me for this. The installation knows it's using which drivers, and it knows which drivers are no longer going to work. It could've issued a warning.

Anyway, long story short, I haven't yet gotten an answer to the question about downgrading.

Edited by thany

I'm also getting this problem now:

Feels like a separate problem, which is why I opened a new topic. But man, this 6.9.x release still feels like a beta even after a maintenance update. All the more reason, for me at least, to know how to safely perform a downgrade.

34 minutes ago, thany said:

It could've issued a warning.

That's what the release notes are for, you should always read them before updating.

34 minutes ago, thany said:

I haven't yet gotten an answer to the question about downgrading.

To downgrade just unzip all the bz* files from v6.8.3 overwriting existing ones.

6 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That's what the release notes are for, you should always read them before updating.

Sorry, but I disagree. That's too easy. I think an upgrade, especially one that contains breaking changes, should peform a readiness check before blindly applying the upgrade. Any mature OS does this to some kind of extend.

To downgrade just unzip all the bz* files from v6.8.3 overwriting existing ones.

I'll try that, thanks.

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That's looks like a hardware problem, likely GPU related.

This server doesn't have a discrete GPU... And since the CPU is working fine, and hasn't been touched, a GPU (IGP in this case) problem is extremely unlikely.

Edited by thany
5 hours ago, thany said:

This server doesn't have a discrete GPU... And since the CPU is working fine, and hasn't been touched, a GPU (IGP in this case) problem is extremely unlikely

This could mean that the built-in GPU uses RAM for buffering and that you have a RAM issue.  Worth running memtest to check that passes OK.