Problem with shares set to prefer:cache and dockers forgetting settings [SOLVED]

tron

I am at a loss for this one. Some of my dockers completely lose their config after I reboot my server.  I did some searching, and I see people saying that the cache might not be getting written. This is odd, because I have NEVER had a cache drive. 

Somehow my appdata, plex, and domains shares are set to "Prefer: Cache". I cannot seem to change this setting at all. I think this is causing my problem, since appdata would have all the docker configs. 

Thanks for your time!

tronraid-diagnostics-20210329-2057.zip

Edited by tron

If you have no cache drive then User shares obviously can't use it. Therefore, whatever the settings, your appdata share can only exist on the Unraid array. Your problem is that some of your docker containers are configured to store and expect to find their appdata in /mnt/cache/appdata/<container-name> and, since you don't have a cache drive, that path exists in RAM. So your configurations are being saved, but they are lost whenever the RAM is cleared, such as when you reboot. The immediate solution is to reconfigure your containers to use the /mnt/user/appdata/<container-name> path instead. That will store your appdata on the array and it will continue to work if you decide to add a cache drive later, and then you will be able to move the appdata from the array to the cache drive very easily.

Edited by John_M
Typo
9 minutes ago, John_M said:

If you have no cache drive then User shares obviously can't use it. Therefore, whatever the settings, your appdata share can only exist on the Unraid array. Your problem is that some of your docker containers are configured to store and expect to find their appdata in /mnt/cache/appdata/<container-name> and, since you don't have a cache drive, that path exists in RAM. So your configurations are being saved, but they are lost whenever the RAM is cleared, such as when you reboot. The immediate solution is to reconfigure your containers to use the /mnt/user/appdata/<container-name> path instead. That will store your appdata on the array and it will continue to work if you decide to add a cache drive later, and then you will be able to move the appdata from the array to the cache drive very easily.

Thanks for the reply. I understand this, but none of the offending dockers have their configs pointed to the cache. This is why I don't understand why they are being saved there. 

I fixed this. I removed everything from the appdata folder, deleted the share, and re-created it with no on cache. I had to download a backup of all my appdata stuff, because this error had deleted everything in the folder. 

Once I restored the appdata folders, everything worked perfectly. I think the latest version update of unraid caused this problem, but I can't be sure. 

• tron changed the title to Problem with shares set to prefer:cache and dockers forgetting settings [SOLVED]
11 hours ago, trurl said:

According to your diagnostics, your appdata did have files on cache, so something somewhere was specifying a path to /mnt/cache/appdata.

You should post new diagnostics so we can take another look to make sure you don't still have some problem with that.

Here's the new file. Everything seems to be working fine after multiple reboots. 

tronraid-diagnostics-20210330-2212.zip