Is it possible to limit access to a single NIC?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Is there a proper way of changing the listen address for SSH and unraid front end in a way that will stick?

It looks like 

/etc/ssh/sshd_config

has listenaddress commented out so will default to 0.0.0.0

and 

/etc/nginx/conf.d/emhttp-servers.conf

had 

listen *:80 default_server;
    listen [::]:80 default_server;

Looks like Samba doesn't have anything configured again so I believe will bind to all interfaces.

So as it stands everything is listening on every interface

I can change each of the config files but these won't survive a restart.

Is there a way of achieving this?

There is a "hidden" parameter which you need to set directly in the file /config/ident.cfg (it is not available in the GUI)

BIND_MGT="yes"

After setting this parameter, reboot your system and it will have all management related access (GUI, ssh, telnet) restricted to eth0 (br0).

3 hours ago, bonienl said:

There is a "hidden" parameter which you need to set directly in the file /config/ident.cfg (it is not available in the GUI)

BIND_MGT="yes"

After setting this parameter, reboot your system and it will have all management related access (GUI, ssh, telnet) restricted to eth0 (br0).

Can this be setup as an isolated network without breaking anything?

i.e. does this network still need internet access for UnraidOS, docker & plugin (github) updates?

14 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Can this be setup as an isolated network without breaking anything?

i.e. does this network still need internet access for UnraidOS, docker & plugin (github) updates?

This setting restricts management access to interface eth0 only, still this interface needs connectivity as before to do upgrades and plugin/docker installations.

17 hours ago, bonienl said:

BIND_MGT="yes"

always eth0?

What about Samba / Docker?

I don't actually have the second NIC yet to test but I am hoping I would be able to have management and samba on one nic and docker on both.