Properly re-starting up a server after having moved - tips and tricks

Maybe we can sticky this for the future people that move to Spectrum.   

So I've moved to a place where the modem/router provided by the internet company (spectrum) won't let you change the IP address.  I typically had changed everything so that it the router had an IP of 192.168.50.1 and everything would fall in line.    Now the spectrum modem/router (which may or may not change in the future but I hate it but I digress) won't let me set that. If I read correctly, if I delete the network.cfg file it will automatically DHCP and figure out an IP address, correct?   

I can just ifconfig eth0 to get the correct address of the server and then GUI into that, right?   

I would imagine I would have to switch all of the docker IP info manually correct?   

6 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

You need to tell Spectrum to put the modem into bridge mode, and put your own router in place to provide firewall and other services. That way you can control everything the way you need it.

Relying on their router is going to give you nothing but headaches.

They're saying that they can't even do that.    

4 minutes ago, cbr600ds2 said:

I can't work with unraid without it?

Unraid itself will work fine, but you lose the ability to host content available outside the LAN, like SWAG and whatever you would want to reverse proxy through it.

That may not be a concern for you though, if everything you use Unraid for is inside your LAN.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

Unraid itself will work fine, but you lose the ability to host content available outside the LAN, like SWAG and whatever you would want to reverse proxy through it.

That may not be a concern for you though, if everything you use Unraid for is inside your LAN.

Oh gotcha - Yeah I pretty much just use it as file server/media center (Emby) and sab.  nothing that I would need hosted.  at this point.   Do you mind if I send you a direct mail?  I have a question about the new version that I don't want to put up on here as I feel like its a bit dumb. 

57 minutes ago, cbr600ds2 said:

Do you mind if I send you a direct mail?  I have a question about the new version that I don't want to put up on here as I feel like its a bit dumb. 

Post it here, if you feel like editing it you can delete it later. Trust me, you are not the dumbest person on this forum.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, cbr600ds2 said:

Does the multiple pools feature of the new version sort of defeat the purpose of unassigned devices?

Not necessarily.  There are still many good uses for unassigned devices:

• Plug in an external USB drive and backup share data to it automatically via a UD script
  • Use a USB device as a location for the syslog
  • A UD for VMs is still preferred by some
  • A UD as a download, personal cloud data, transcode or media conversion location may still be preferable in some cases over a cache pool

Unassigned Devices supports formats such as NTFS which allow these devices to read in Windows outside the array.

• Like 1