UHD 750 - Rocket Lake IGP support.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:00 PM, fahmietalife said:

I'm not getting any error output when i ran the command, same goes in syslog.

image.png.a0fb08ff162ccb15616526b3f08b5566.png

Sorry though I had already sent this after doing modeprobe i915  force_probe=4c8a

What output do you get from.

root@computenode:~# modprobe -c   | grep force_probe
root@computenode:~# dmesg  | grep i915
lsmod  | grep i915

7 hours ago, SimonF said:

Sorry though I had already sent this after doing modeprobe i915  force_probe=4c8a

What output do you get from.

root@computenode:~# modprobe -c   | grep force_probe
root@computenode:~# dmesg  | grep i915
lsmod  | grep i915

Looks like im having driver issue ?

root@unraid01:~# modprobe -c   | grep force_probe
root@unraid01:~# dmesg  | grep i915
[   31.926009] i915 0000:00:02.0: Your graphics device 4c8a is not properly supported by the driver in this
               kernel version. To force driver probe anyway, use i915.force_probe=4c8a
root@unraid01:~# modprobe -n i915 force_probe=4c8a
root@unraid01:~# dmesg  | grep i915
[   31.926009] i915 0000:00:02.0: Your graphics device 4c8a is not properly supported by the driver in this
               kernel version. To force driver probe anyway, use i915.force_probe=4c8a

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SimonF said:

Install intel-gpu-top for 11th gen and you dont need to create file or syslinux.

Plugin will enable igpu for 11th gen.

You may need to remove file from /boot/config/modprobe.d

Im aware of intel-gpu-top and i installed it but unfortunately im still not able to use my iGPU 

1 hour ago, fahmietalife said:

Im aware of intel-gpu-top and i installed it but unfortunately im still not able to use my iGPU 

Can you please send me the output from this command:

lspci -nn | grep VGA

and also from:

lspci -nn | grep -E "VGA compatible controller|Display controller" | grep "Intel" | sort | tail -1 | grep -oE '\[[a-f0-9][a-f0-9][a-f0-9][a-f0-9]:[a-f0-9][a-f0-9][a-f0-9][a-f0-9]\]' | sed 's/[][]//g' | cut -d ':' -f2

Have you installed a second graphics card in the server?

What kind of CPU do you have exactly?

Intel-GPU-TOP plugin tested on an 11900K and working fine. ;)

EDIT: Please also describe what you have done to test that the iGPU isn't working, I got also another report that it is working fine with this DeviceID.

EDIT2: Are you booting Unraid with UEFI or Legacy (CSM)?

7 hours ago, SimonF said:

Install intel-gpu-top for 11th gen and you dont need to create file or syslinux.

Plugin will enable igpu for 11th gen.

You may need to remove file from /boot/config/modprobe.d

HDR tonemaping works now? or still have issues? (11 gen)

Edited by arturovf
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Can you please send me the output from this command:

lspci -nn | grep VGA

and also from:

lspci -nn | grep -E "VGA compatible controller|Display controller" | grep "Intel" | sort | tail -1 | grep -oE '\[[a-f0-9][a-f0-9][a-f0-9][a-f0-9]:[a-f0-9][a-f0-9][a-f0-9][a-f0-9]\]' | sed 's/[][]//g' | cut -d ':' -f2

Have you installed a second graphics card in the server?

What kind of CPU do you have exactly?

Intel-GPU-TOP plugin tested on an 11900K and working fine. ;)

EDIT: Please also describe what you have done to test that the iGPU isn't working, I got also another report that it is working fine with this DeviceID.

EDIT2: Are you booting Unraid with UEFI or Legacy (CSM)?

A requested 

image.png.ff0af39e185d7a871f6f90af7792123c.png

Below is my mobo and CPU

image.png.0c5f66fdb04bd7435fdadc0bf591d452.png

I was using Intel NUC8i3BEH with intel-gpu-top , and hardware transcoding working without issue (Thanks to you sir). So recently i build a new system with above mobo and CPU and transfer my unraid USB and drives over, and i created file under /boot/config/modprobe.d called i915.conf and paste the code options i915 force_probe=4c8a options i915 enable_guc=2 , but when i boot up my system, it stop at "switching to inteldrmfb from efi vga" and will just stuck there forever

image.png.cd378f87446af93a5fb273f914d50def.png

I have to turn off my system, take out the USB boot drive and access it from my laptop and remove the i915.conf and i'm able to boot my unraid without issue (but still not getting hardware acceleration). Tested many times but still getting same issue.

From the USB folder,  i can see that im booting from UEFI. 

image.png.a82ff269d7956d0a41b0d668dd1cc255.png

9 minutes ago, fahmietalife said:

I have to turn off my system, take out the USB boot drive and access it from my laptop and remove the i915.conf and i'm able to boot my unraid without issue (but still not getting hardware acceleration). Tested many times but still getting same issue.

Can you try to remove the i915 file, boot your server, install the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin and then reboot again and see if you are stuck with the same message or if it boots and if you can issue:

ls -la /dev/dri

from the terminal?

As said above I have another system with a 11500 and on this system it does work just fine.

1 hour ago, arturovf said:

HDR tonemaping works now? or still have issues? (11 gen)

If you are using Plex, from what I know this has nothing to do with Intel this is more a problem with Plex itself that it is not done correctly, I think somewhere there is a manual fix for that on the Plex forums that has to be applied by hand and every time the container is updated.

18 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you try to remove the i915 file, boot your server, install the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin and then reboot again and see if you are stuck with the same message or if it boots and if you can issue:

ls -la /dev/dri

from the terminal?

As said above I have another system with a 11500 and on this system it does work just fine.

Intel-GPU-Top is always installed and enabled until now. No issue to boot Unraid with it.

I also have no i915 file, as i mentioned i cant boot unraid with it so i had to remove it.

image.png.31e254b8016988bfe67d4728d6a49a2a.png

Edited by fahmietalife
On 6/16/2021 at 1:37 AM, ich777 said:

If you are using Plex, from what I know this has nothing to do with Intel this is more a problem with Plex itself that it is not done correctly, I think somewhere there is a manual fix for that on the Plex forums that has to be applied by hand and every time the container is updated.

I was in the believe that Plex support was ready but to work on unraid it needs kernel (5.11) update?

Edited by arturovf
16 minutes ago, arturovf said:

I was in the believe that Plex support was ready but to work on unraid it needs kernel update?

Yes, but they broke it again if I'm not mistaken, as said from what I know a workaround exists to fix that. :)

Why should a Kernel upgrade be necessary? :D

Have you a source to that article?

If you install the Intel GPU TOP plugin you can make use of HW transcoding even with 11th gen, if you've already installed it make sure that you are on the latest version 2021.06.15, if you are not on this version update and then reboot.

13 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Yes, but they broke it again if I'm not mistaken, as said from what I know a workaround exists to fix that. :)

If you install the Intel GPU TOP plugin you can make use of HW transcoding even with 11th gen.

well I'm just following this thread: 

https://forums.plex.tv/t/4k-hdr-hevc-hw-transcoding-is-broken-on-i5-11600k-rocket-lake/707057/47

and specifically in this thread they mention success with the 5.11.0-18 kernel:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/working-rocket-lake-gpu-with-hdr-the-easy-way-both-docker-and-bare-metal/721200/34

Im of course a total n00b I'm just eager to upgrade my ancient i3 7100 with something more recent (i5 11400), I made the switch to 4k HDR (I don't keep SDR versions) so tone mapping for remote clients is a must for me

Edited by arturovf
18 minutes ago, arturovf said:

Im of course a total n00b I'm just eager to upgrade my ancient i3 7100 with something more recent (i5 11400)

But this has nothing to do with Unraid per se...

The threads are from a different OS that you can't compare to it, I have many reports that iGPU transcoding is working perfectly fine but tonemapping has to be implemented into Plex.

I'm having a problem with my i5-11400 which has a UHD 730.

I initially added the file:

/boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

containing:

options i915 force_probe=4c8b

# next line tested both on and off

# options i915 enable_guc=2

The Plex dockers (I've tried a few from the community tools, including the official one) will detect it and (hw) will appear on both lines of transcoding. The problem however is there are repeatable green and white "static" artifacts appearing on the right side of the screen, at the same points of a file. If I disable the second transcode option "Use hardware-accelerated video encoding" the static goes away (however half the transcode process is back to CPU).

I have since tried adding the recent Intel-GPU-Top community tool. Pulling up the intel_gpu_top command in the terminal while hw transcoding, none of the gpu graphs get anywhere near maxing out. I am not sure what google terms to search for to find a solution to this type of transcoding artifact. Are there any particular bios settings for the integrated graphics that should be set, initial buffer size, etc.?

For reference it is a 1080p 10.4 Mbps Plex reported bitrate being transcoded to 1080p 8 Mbps, through the plex.tv web viewer on windows chrome & firefox, and chrome on mac.

Edited by Ponder
25 minutes ago, Ponder said:

I have since tried adding the recent Intel-GPU-Top community tool. Pulling up the intel_gpu_top command in the terminal while hw transcoding, none of the gpu graphs get anywhere near maxing out.

Why should they max out? The iGPU is capable of 2 to 4 simultaneous 4K transcodes... and more 1080p transcodes.

Have you got a screenshot?

25 minutes ago, Ponder said:

I am not sure what google terms to search for to find a solution to this type of transcoding artifact. Are there any particular bios settings for the integrated graphics that should be set, initial buffer size, etc.?

Please also include a Screenshot of the transcoding artefacts, also on which platforms did you try it (Webbrowser - Chrome - Firefox, Mobile Apps, Windows App)?

Please note that you can also install the GPU Statistics plugin if you have installed the Intel GPU TOP plugin to show the usage of your iGPU on the Unraid Dashboard.

27 minutes ago, Ponder said:

/boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Please be sure to remove the file since Intel GPU TOP plugin handles the activation from the iGPU.

On 6/18/2021 at 4:29 AM, ich777 said:

If you install the Intel GPU TOP plugin you can make use of HW transcoding even with 11th gen, if you've already installed it make sure that you are on the latest version 2021.06.15, if you are not on this version update and then reboot.

BRO NO USE TO MAKE IT WORK.

image.png.9369ddda09af2eb350a5bb7e80ec4968.png

image.thumb.png.45b753162a1214ffb295560ee5cfec5b.png

image.thumb.png.c5d433a22528f9b9ec8552d4dd787ce5.png

image.png.5d174b0faf6bbc2452f857025522d593.png

image.png.60664b1625291f89f84224f324c99951.png

6 hours ago, Ponder said:

Similar white/green static will flash up for a frame throughout the playback, and it is repeatable, same frames.

Can you try it with a native client on iOS or Android and test another movie?

6 hours ago, Ponder said:

I removed the i915.conf file, same effect on the playback.

If you have installed the Intel GPU TOP plugin you don't have to have the file in place because I've updated the plugin so that it handles the activation from the iGPU