Energy Consumption - WIN 10 VM on = less energy consumption?

tmpt

Hi everyone,

I want to reduce the energy consumption of my unraid server so I bought a watt metter to determine how many watts my unraid was consuming.

I am seeing that if I have a windows 10 VM on, the consumption is around 80 watts, and with the vm off the consumption is around 115 watts

Why this behaviour? My CPU is an AMD ryzen 7 3700x. Is it something like the unraid os doesn't have proper drivers, and the windows has?

Thank you @Squid!

Basically is what it is. After writing the post, I asked by self if it could be the GPU, so I searched and installed to drivers for GPU and it was that. With the GPU drivers, the consumptions went to 80watts. But then I figure it out that the GPU stopped working on the VM. Seing the video you shared I understand why. ( i will not lose hours looking for answers xD)

It was nice to see the GPU statistics in the unraid, but unfortunally I will need to uninstall the drivers. Leaving the vm paused will do the job.

Again, thank you for the info! (I was my first post in the forum :) )

• Like 1