VM works for a couple min then stops and cant start back up

the issue im having is my vm works fine for a about a minute or 2 (with graphics card) then suddenly black screens and will freeze at the tianocore startup if i try to start the vm again.

the sys log and the terminal dont have errors in them ive tried lots of things with no luck, like using legacy, combinations of ovfm, seaBIOS, Q-35's and 1440fx's, and a couple other things i forget but with no change my graphics cards are a gigabyte rx590 and my cpu is a ryzen 3950X.

im new to unraid and have tried everything i can find on forums and such but cant get my vm to work properly 

my disgnostics are attached

tower-diagnostics-20210404-1609.zip

Edited by plis halp
adding diagnostic file
12 hours ago, plis halp said:

is that my ONLY option? is there anyway i can use the ones i have?

😅 That's not the only way although it would be an easier path. I think what @jonp means is that until recently, AMD didn't really design their GPUs with VFIO passthrough in mind, which causes quite a lot of issues for what you're trying to do. AMD have slightly improved with their recent GPUs, but NVIDIA has started officially supporting it.  

If you want to get the GPUs you have working, you can check out Gnif's vendor-reset project, which lists the RX 590 as compatible. @ich777 made it extremely easy to implement this into the kernel using his Unraid Kernel Builder container. I believe I read somewhere that Limetech recommends against replacing the kernel with a custom build now, and there is possibly implications with getting support when you're running on a custom kernel. That said, it's been working perfectly for me since before the update to 6.9.1, and it's very easy to go back to the stock kernel as long as you back it up first.

I'm starting to repeat myself on different threads, so here is my answer on an earlier post:

On 3/15/2021 at 3:59 PM, lnxd said:

Hey guys, ich777's kernel builder solved it for me. He's made it very straight forward:

1. Add the container via community applications and select the options you want. Deselect anything you don't need but mark vendor-reset as true, it will compile a kernel for you

2. Back up your existing kernel just in case (download a dump of your flash drive via the GUI), copy the generated kernel files from the output folder to the root level of the flash drive, overwriting the existing ones.

3. Reboot

You'll see the discussion I had with him in that post as well, I had to change to a legacy boot mode to get my Asus RX 580 OC working in VMs but that might depend on your other hardware. It's working fine for me on 6.9.0, I haven't upgraded to 6.9.1 just yet, but I'll be doing that shortly. 

My understanding is the vendor-reset patch is still technically in Beta, but I'm hoping Unraid devs can move to include it in the kernel soon as it's pretty much impossible to use anything other than brand new AMD GPUs with Unraid otherwise.

EDIT: Just upgraded to 6.9.1, still works like a charm with my RX 580.

EDIT: Also, just to add, if you don't have any luck and you're interested in Mining, you'll get an insane hash rate with those RX 590s on PhoenixMiner.

Edited by lnxd
  • Like 1

@lnxd is right.  It's not to say there aren't some special hoops you can jump through to potentially make your card work, but it's not in the cards for us at Lime Tech to figure that out as each card might have different challenges and different solutions.  Its far easier for us as a company to simply state:  modern NVIDIA devices (specifically EVGA brand) work great, but AMD cards may have various issues depending on the exact make/model and vBIOS revision.

• Like 1