PSU Experts - DIY Cables - SATA with 4 Wires?

G Speed

I have a modular PSU

Can I make my own SATA Cables with just 4 wires, and omit the 3.3V?
Since alot of backplanes use molex, and alot of people use molex to sata and run drives just fine, 12v and 5v

It would avoid any hassle with shucked drives/3.3V

Can I run 5 drives off of a  single cable?

18awg cable  - 16amps IIRC?

Most drives max 2AMPS during full usage?

For disk / blackplane /device I own, I never found use 3.3v. I always build or mod PSU cable. I won't allow more then four device in one cable. When I need connect many device, I will build cable system in star topology with use electrical i-join. One side connect to PSU and other side was device. ( I use 4 pole, below just a outlook of those i-join )

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtRCDdwkoJ3odC1q6Vu6Y

18 AWG can't run 20A, you need keep voltage drop and temperature in safe region. Below is a online calc for ref., those apply for point to point not for multi power distribution point.

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Pls don't make mistake on wiring, it will burn out disk, so don't lazy use some unuseed disk to verify after your build.

Edited by Vr2Io
3 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

For disk / blackplane /device I own, I never found use 3.3v. I always build or mod PSU cable. I won't allow more then four device in one cable. When I need connect many device, I will build cable system in star topology with use electrical i-join. One side connect to PSU and other side was device. ( I use 4 pole, below just a outlook of those i-join )

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtRCDdwkoJ3odC1q6Vu6Y

18 AWG can't run 20A, you need keep voltage drop and temperature in safe region. Below is a online calc for ref., those apply for point to point not for multi power distribution point.

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Pls don't make mistake on wiring, it will burn out disk, so don't lazy use some unuseed disk to verify after your build.

Thanks for the response, I don't think I said 20A anywhere?

2AMP x 5 - Should draw a max of 10AMP

Should be fine, on the wires

Why don't you run more than 5? The wire is more than capable? Depending on what your using it for.. 
Also, I'm not sure I understand the point of the block? Why not run 12v-5v-2 ground, punch down with sata connector. then a few inches down.. continue on

THanks!

35 minutes ago, G Speed said:

Thanks for the response, I don't think I said 20A anywhere?

Yes, it is 16A.

The wire is more than capable?

5 aslo fine, but 4 must better then 5.

Also, I'm not sure I understand the point of the block? Why not run 12v-5v-2 ground, punch down with sata connector. then a few inches down.. continue on

As mention, the photo just for the outlook ref., I use 4 pole.

The block can ensure all node in good connection and well share the current flow, also this convenient for change other set SATA device or PSU.

I usually build at every connect point, three wire from PSU then three/four wire output to device, with each wite handle four device, then 12 or 16 device in total.

Edited by Vr2Io