PLEASE HELP! vBIOS Dump Script does not work

Hi All,I have hit a brick wall and I am kindly requesting help from anybody in the community that may know anything about the error I am getting shown below after I run the SpaceInvaderOne vBIOS dump script. 

Okay dumping vbios file named 1030fanless.rom to the location /mnt/user/isos/vbios/
cat: rom: Input/output error

Um.... somethings gone wrong and I couldn't dump the vbios for some reason
Sometimes when this happens all we need to do to fix this is 'stub' or 'bind to the vfio' the gpu and reboot the server

This can be done in Unraid 6.8.3 with the use of the vfio config plugin or if you are on Unraid 6.9 or above it can be done
directly from the gui in Tools/System Devices .....So please do this and run the script again

Additionally, I get the same error even after I perform the fix SpaceInvaderOne mentions in the video link below relating to binding to the Nvidia VFIO which the screen capture below shows I followed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWn6OCWl63o

image.thumb.png.fb496621104b35fb48e05bfcd2c74ac2.png

I am running 6.9.1. My motherboard is a Supermicro X10SRH-CF. My CPU is XEON and my GPU is an Nvidia GT 1030.  The script does not fix my Nvidia passthrough problem and the recommendation to bind to the VFIO and then reboot does not work.  Has anybody out there in the community successfully passed through an Nvidia GT 1030 card?  I am beginning to think I should return this card to Amazon and buy some other card.  However, not sure which one to buy. Any tips welcome.

Does anybody out there have any suggestions on what else I can try to get this script to work correctly?

Lastly, if anybody in the community can email  SpaceInvader One the link to this post it will be much appreciated.  I would like to know what additioanal troubleshooting I can perform so I can get this script to work successfully.  Thank you.

Edited by slipstream

BUMP - Can somebody offer any help.  I really need to know if my Supermicro MB and Nvide 1030 card are compatible with this SpaceInvader One vBIOS dump script.  This problem is seriously kicking my butt. I need help and I hope Limetech or somebody in the community can send some tips my way .

• 2 months later...

same problem here.. I've tried everything.  can't get the script to work.. keep getting this error.. tried changing slots everything 

Script location: /tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/dump Vbios/script
Note that closing this window will abort the execution of this script
You have selected this device to dump the vbios from
41:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL [Quadro P400] (rev a1)

This does look like a valid GPU to me. Continuing .........

Checking if location to put vbios file exists
Vbios folder already exists

I will try and dump the vbios without disconnecting and reconnecting the GPU
This normally only works if the GPU is NOT the Primary or the only GPU
I will check the vbios at the end. If it seems wrong I will then retry after disconnecting the GPU

Defining temp vm with gpu attached
Domain dumpvbios defined from /tmp/dumpvbios.xml

Starting the temp vm to allow dump
Domain dumpvbios started

Waiting for a few seconds .....

Stopping the temp vm 
Domain dumpvbios destroyed

Removing the temp vm
Domain dumpvbios has been undefined

Okay dumping vbios file named p400 gpu.rom to the location /mnt/user/isos/vbios/ 
cat: rom: Input/output error

Um.... somethings gone wrong and I couldn't dump the vbios for some reason
Sometimes when this happens all we need to do to fix this is 'stub' or 'bind to the vfio' the gpu and reboot the server

This can be done in Unraid 6.8.3 with the use of the vfio config plugin or if you are on Unraid 6.9 or above it can be done
directly from the gui in Tools/System Devices .....So please do this and run the script again

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@SpaceInvaderOne I am seeing the same issue. I am running unRAID 6.9.2 and not able to dump a vbios for my GTX-1080, either as primary or secondary gpu  . I was able to dump the vbios of my RX580 as secondary GPU, then swap the cards to dump the 1080, but I get the same error. I have tried the vfio setting as suggested in the script but that did not work either.

• 2 years later...

Unbinding the driver helps (0000:08:00.0' is card address and vfio-pci is driver name, replace either accordingly to what you have atm):

echo '0000:08:00.0' > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/unbind
echo '0000:08:00.0' > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/bind