Windows 10 VM crashes on startup. Unable to passthrough GPU

Hello! This is my first post and hopefully someone can assist me with this, as it is driving me insane. I am fairly new to Unraid and this is my first Windows vm. I’ve watched several of Spaceinvader One videos, as well as others, and still I’m not able to pass through my only GPU to my Windows 10 vm.

I was able to create the vm following the videos and was able to install Windows and play around on it using VNC. When trying to passthrough my GPU I followed the instructions, download Bios from TechPowerup and editing the header using a Hex editor. Upon start it crashes my Unraid server and does a hard reboot of the machine which starts a parity check and removes the vm tab.

My second attempt I deleted the vm and recreated using SeaBIOS as my GPU doesn’t support UEFI and then repeated the steps and same results, crashes server and does hard reboot. Found another video explaining to rename the GPU bios downloaded from Techpower up from ending in “.rom” to “.dump” which I did and the server crashed again, this time corrupting my VM. I’ve now had to delete the vm again as it has become corrupt and I’m going nuts trying to get this to work.

Read on another forum that my motherboard bios probably needs updated. But I’m worried I will update bios and it will affect my server as a whole.

Please help! 

Unraid 6.9.1

Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4

*HVM and IMMOU are both enabled in Bios* 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 12-core 

Hey how's it going? I'm actually having the same problem. I've got a very similar set up and when starting my vm the server either crashes or the vm starts but i get no HDMI signal output on my monitor.

Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk b550 (MS-7c91) Version 2.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600x 6-core.

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 ti.

RAM: 16gb DDR4 3200mhz.

Latest Bios Installed!

IOMMU groups enabled in bios as well as VM's

(Attached System Information within Unraid)

Unrair server specs.PNG

No progress as of yet. The VM became corrupt so it had to be deleted. I’m waiting for anyone to respond before I start down the path again.

I should also have mentioned I also tried changing “PCIe ACS override” from disabled to “Multi-function” and to “Both” and had same results. Found someplace that changing this could help with passing the GPU but it too lead me nowhere.

Edited by Maniac Mike
  • 1 month later...