New Disk keeps getting Read Errors ! - help -

EDIT:  Please save some time and read my latest comment instead of the whole post:

* New Problem with my Drive *

I've got a new problem :(

Hello everyone !

I hope you are all doing well !
This is my first ever post, seeking some advice in this forum. 

Part 1 / A little info on me and my setup:
(Time-Saver: skip to Part 2 of this post for the actual problem and my question)

I found out about unRaid a couple of years ago from Linus' channel and it was kind of exactly what I needed. I bought it back then, but didn't use it, up until maybe last month or so, since I didn't really have the time to set it up. I've only recently found out about Dockers and what they are, and long-story-short, I'm in love. 
I've setup Radarr, Sonarr, nzbGet, Emby and some other companion utilities I need. 

This hasn't been an easy journey for me, as I have never used Linux or Unix or Command Lines before, or even other NAS. Novice user at BEST. 
That being said, this forum, and a couple of other sources online proved to be EXTREMELY helpful, and honestly, you guys solved a LOT of problems, or should I say obstacles, for me. So thank you for being there. :)

So I've set up everything the way I think suits me best and everything was working fine. 
Up until Yesterday, when I had a strange problem. 
(Forgive me in advance (and correct me) if I make any mistakes as I am barely a Novice in this field as I said.) 

Part 2 / The problem:

My UnRaid server was working fine, yesterday, when a friend came by and I really wanted to show him what this setup is capable of. One of the things I wanted to show him, is how you can add drives after you create your initial pool of several drives. 
So:
- I stopped my array.

- I showed him the drop down lists with the drive selections.

- I restarted the array to continue normal operation. 
 1 of my disks was suddenly "Unmountable" and I got the option to format it as I could do when I first added the drive several days ago. (brand-new drive)

I immediately came here, searched and read several other posts of people having the same problem, I tried most solutions, up to the last option of "xfs_repair -L". Nothing solved the issue. My drive kept being "unmountable". 

I finally format the drive and its back and running online. I've obviously lost all content on that drive, but since the drive was like 1-week old, I really didn't care that much as it only had some movies I downloaded this week, which are already being auto-downloaded again by Radarr. 

My Question is this though: 

Is there something I need to do differently to AVOID this ? 

I stopped my Array without stopping any docker services running. 
Is that wrong ? 

Is there any specific setting I need to look at ?
Everything I've setup, is after suggestions and guides of users in this forum or videos of YouTubers like "SpaceInvader One". I didn't configure anything myself. 

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the long post. But I'm REALLY excited about this, and I don't want to screw anything up. Looking forward to your replies. ❤️

Edited by bonamin

From your description it sounds as if the xfs_repair should have fixed it.   Ideally we would have wanted diagnostics covering the point at which you booted the system to discover the unmountable drive and including the attempt to repair it and the output of that attempt.   Unfortunately without that any guesses at what went wrong would just be wild guesses.

45 minutes ago, bonamin said:

Is there something I need to do differently to AVOID this ?

Ask on the forum before doing anything when you have a problem like this so you can get other people to take a look, especially before formatting.

At least you knew that the contents would be lost when you formatted. A lot of people expect to be able to recover data from parity after format.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

From your description it sounds as if the xfs_repair should have fixed it.   Ideally we would have wanted diagnostics covering the point at which you booted the system to discover the unmountable drive and including the attempt to repair it and the output of that attempt.   Unfortunately without that any guesses at what went wrong would just be wild guesses.

I should have asked questions when the issue was still there I guess. :( 

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Ask on the forum before doing anything when you have a problem like this so you can get other people to take a look, especially before formatting.

At least you knew that the contents would be lost when you formatted. A lot of people expect to be able to recover data from parity after format.

Yeah I knew I'd lose the data, but it was data I didn't care about. I can obtain them again. 

However, I've read everything I could find on the problem, and that's the way found the xfs_repair solution. But sadly it did not work for me. :( 

If this happens again, I guess I will have to ask before I format and provide you with logs. 

Edited by bonamin

I need some more help if someone sees this ! ❤️

So, I formatted the drive that had the issue, and it worked fine for a couple of days. 
But today, suddenly I get a lot of "Read Error" notifications for that drive.
Then, if I leave it like this, the drive looks like its mounted, but I can't read the SMART report, and I can't see the temp on the table of my drives.

If I restart my Array, the drive works fine, until later when it shows me a Read Error again.

- My drive is brand new. (Seagate Barracuda 6TB 
ST6000DM003). 

- I haven't tried ANYTHING yet as you instructed me from the last posts. 

- Here is the SMART data from that drive. I don't know if it means anything. :( 

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR--   078   064   006    -    56338540
  3 Spin_Up_Time            PO----   097   092   000    -    0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        -O--CK   100   100   020    -    382
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   PO--CK   100   100   010    -    0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         POSR--   060   060   045    -    1038621
  9 Power_On_Hours          -O--CK   100   100   000    -    363 (169 196 0)
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        PO--C-   100   100   097    -    0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       -O--CK   100   100   020    -    144
183 Runtime_Bad_Block       -O--CK   090   090   000    -    10
184 End-to-End_Error        -O--CK   100   100   099    -    0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      -O--CK   100   100   000    -    0
188 Command_Timeout         -O--CK   100   100   000    -    0 0 0
189 High_Fly_Writes         -O-RCK   100   100   000    -    0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel -O---K   068   061   040    -    32 (Min/Max 32/32)
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      -O--CK   100   100   000    -    0
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count -O--CK   100   100   000    -    132
193 Load_Cycle_Count        -O--CK   100   100   000    -    554
194 Temperature_Celsius     -O---K   032   040   000    -    32 (0 20 0 0 0)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  -O-RC-   078   064   000    -    56338540
197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--C-   100   100   000    -    0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   ----C-   100   100   000    -    0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    -OSRCK   200   200   000    -    0
240 Head_Flying_Hours       ------   100   253   000    -    93h+25m+41.336s
241 Total_LBAs_Written      ------   100   253   000    -    2093954984
242 Total_LBAs_Read         ------   100   253   000    -    178576746

Can you please guide me on what to try or what more info you need me to post here to possibly find a solution ? 

❤️ Thank you in advance ! ❤️ 

Edited by bonamin
  • bonamin changed the title to New Disk keeps getting Read Errors ! - help -
17 minutes ago, bonamin said:

more info

If possible before rebooting and preferably with the array started
Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

quicker results if you save us the trouble of asking 😉

I swapped the connections of the two drives and what do you know, I got errors on Disk 4 when I did that. 
Then I swapped the power connectors for all drives, and now its running since yesterday with no problems. 

I was using a Molex to 4 SATA, to power the drives since it's tidy using only one cable. 

Is there a problem with those cables ? Maybe I should buy a new PSU. :( 

29 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

Might be an issue with poor quality adapter or that there is too much load on a single PSU lead.

That was my thoughts too. Maybe the PSU can't handle that much wattage on a single lead. 
I will do some more testing and see what happens. 

What about the drive's "Seek_Error_Rate" ? 

Does it indicate an actual problem with the drive ? I mean, its brand new, and I can get a replacement if that seems like an issue. 

58 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That's normal for Seagate drives

oh, I did not know that at all. 

honestly, I find S.M.A.R.T. data to be a bit complicated. Especially since they are not the same between manufactures, or even models sometimes, and on top of that, even between readings, they are not sharing the same structure. 

I've read here on the forum that some numbers are 0 to 100 and some others 0 to 200 etc...  :( 

Anyway, thanks a lot !!! I appreciate the time you took to help me. 
Have a nice day.