[SOLVED] Probelm Preparing for updgrade to 6.9.1

Hello all. I attempted to upgrade my server from 6.8.3 to 6.9.1 and have encountered a problem with my  cache disks. I would appreciate some advice as how to proceed.

I have 8 WD Red Disks in my array and three WD Black NVME drives in an array cache. The NVME drives are on the mother board (a Gigabyte Aorus xtreme x399 board). I had (have) PCIe ACS override in the VM Manager set to "Both" as I was previously passing through one of the MB's USB controllers and a GP to various VMs. For one reason or another I have stopped using pass through as I was having some performance issues. As a result I turned off PCIe ACS override and rebooted the server.

When the server restarts only one of the NVME drives appears in the Cache. The other two drives are missing, they dont show up in unassigned devices either. This seems to indicate that soem of the NVME drives need PCIe ACS pass through. Is this how it should be configured?

I can upgrade to version 6.9.1. All three NVME drives show up in assigned devices. However, if I try to add them to the cache it wants to format them. I downgraded to 6.8.3, turned on PCIe ACS override and my NVME cache is working fine. I note the NVME cache is using BTRFS.

I dont know how to proceed to upgrade to 6.9.1.

52 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Please post the diagnostics: Tools -> Diagnostics

This is running 6.9.1 with PCIe ACS set to both. Two of the cache NVME dissapear if I disable PCIe ACS. According to System Devices all three NVME are on the same bus (c0a9:2263). Nothing else is in that group. PCIe ACS set to both splits them into there own IOMMU groups.

tower-diagnostics-20210406-1746.zip

41:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Micron/Crucial Technology P1 NVMe PCIe SSD [c0a9:2263] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Micron/Crucial Technology P1 NVMe PCIe SSD [c0a9:2263]
    Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
    Kernel modules: nvme
42:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Micron/Crucial Technology P1 NVMe PCIe SSD [c0a9:2263] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Micron/Crucial Technology P1 NVMe PCIe SSD [c0a9:2263]
    Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
    Kernel modules: nvme

These two disappeared because they are bound to vfio-pci, unbind them or delete config/vfio-pci.cfg

• Thanks 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Probelm Preparing for updgrade to 6.9.1