USB backup with registration

I have a pro license from 2015 and for some reason, reading the current backup methods, something isn't clicking in my head. I don't actually remember how things worked back then or if they are the same, but I have two USB drives, and I seem to recall having to register the second USB stick's Device ID in order to use it. I also don't recall if using the second drive deauthorizes the first drive or not, etc. Would someone point me in the right direction for backing up my current and booted USB drive knowing that I think I have a second registered USB? I could also be totally confused, which is highly possible. 

Thank you. So the proper method to have a backup USB is simply to have the downloaded backup file on a local drive or cloud, and if something were to happen to the currently booted USB, you would use the backup file to create a new bootable USB. The new USB would get registered with your license and GUID, and the old one would get blacklisted? Or do people have actual bootable USB backups that simply need to get registered if something were to happen to the old one? Thank you itimpi

15 minutes ago, xdriver said:

Thank you. So the proper method to have a backup USB is simply to have the downloaded backup file on a local drive or cloud, and if something were to happen to the currently booted USB, you would use the backup file to create a new bootable USB. The new USB would get registered with your license and GUID, and the old one would get blacklisted?

Yes, and you can automate this with the CA Backup plugin.

Another option would be to use the My Servers plugin, you can then DL the last version of the USB from the forum.

18 minutes ago, xdriver said:

Or do people have actual bootable USB backups that simply need to get registered if something were to happen to the old one?

If you do this, there are risks that you will end up with an outdated version.

What is the benefit of using one of these plugins over the other? It would seem that My Servers is the easiest. Also, currently, the CA Backup plugin on my server states "NOTE: USB Backup is deprecated on Unraid version 6.9.0 It is advised to use the Unraid.net plugin instead"

10 minutes ago, xdriver said:

What is the benefit of using one of these plugins over the other? It would seem that My Servers is the easiest. Also, currently, the CA Backup plugin on my server states "NOTE: USB Backup is deprecated on Unraid version 6.9.0 It is advised to use the Unraid.net plugin instead"

The My Servers option is brand new as it was introduced with the 6.9.x releases - in fact it is technically still in beta as the last few quirks get worked out.  It is expected to be the preferred solution going forward.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, xdriver said:

I have a pro license from 2015 and for some reason, reading the current backup methods, something isn't clicking in my head. I don't actually remember how things worked back then or if they are the same, but I have two USB drives, and I seem to recall having to register the second USB stick's Device ID in order to use it.

Do you have the email from your original purchase?

4 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Do you have the email from your original purchase?

I have the original email. Has anything changed, or am I just imagining that things changed? Previous posters have at least straightened out my backup, and I have the unraid.net app installed and backup of the USB going to the unraid servers. 

Just now, xdriver said:

I have the original email. Has anything changed, or am I just imagining that things changed? Previous posters have at least straightened out my backup, and I have the unraid.net app installed and backup of the USB going to the unraid servers. 

Does it list a single license, or 2, with instructions about sending in a GUID to activate the second license? Many years ago it was "standard" to issue a 2 pack of licenses if you selected that option, as the ability to quickly replace keys wasn't yet implemented.

7 hours ago, xdriver said:

I have two USB drives, and I seem to recall having to register the second USB stick's Device ID in order to use it.

That statement made me suspect you may actually have 2 full licenses.

Invoice March 12/2015 "unRAID Server Pro-2 $149.00 USD" and I have two emails with the same time stamp (3 second difference) with text and keys... "Flash GUID:guid is here" and the other email "Flash #2 GUID:different GUID here" The urls in the email for the keys is different. I guess it doesn't really matter to me since the ability to easily backup the USB is available now, and I have no need for two servers. I also may have purchased 2 licenses and not even remember doing it.

1 hour ago, xdriver said:

Invoice March 12/2015 "unRAID Server Pro-2 $149.00 USD" and I have two emails with the same time stamp (3 second difference) with text and keys... "Flash GUID:guid is here" and the other email "Flash #2 GUID:different GUID here" The urls in the email for the keys is different. I guess it doesn't really matter to me since the ability to easily backup the USB is available now, and I have no need for two servers. I also may have purchased 2 licenses and not even remember doing it.

It would appear indeed that you purchased a 2 pack of licenses, so now you have no excuse for not setting up a backup server with your cast off parts. 🤣

53 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

It would appear indeed that you purchased a 2 pack of licenses, so now you have no excuse for not setting up a backup server with your cast off parts. 🤣

Unfortunately, my server is cast off parts and is in need of some updating. While it kind of does the job, I would say an Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz with 4GB of ram is treading water, at best.