Low power NAS, LattePanda Delta maybe?

Hello

I started wondering because i have my main server at home, and will be dropping of my server at the parents house and build a new for the new home.

But then i started wondering because i want low power, if it would be possible to use something like a LattePanda Delta for that?

Or should i just buy a Pi with OMV, build a low power i5 10400f build or something similar?

I will only be using it for storage server, 4-5 dockers or similar.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My current build uses an Asrock j5040 mobo, with 3 x 8tb WD whites and a 500gb WD red SA500 cache drive.

I run 10 dockers, no VM’s, running max 3 concurrent Plex streams.

No 4K, only 1080p with any external transcoding at 720p 4mbps.

Draws about 15 watts from the wall when idle.

I sometimes think I miss the power of my old build, 4c/8t Xeon with a P400, but the reality is I don’t and the electricity bill is minuscule in comparison.

Edited by Ankara74
22 hours ago, Ankara74 said:

Hi,

My current build uses an Asrock j5040 mobo, with 3 x 8tb WD whites and a 500gb WD red SA500 cache drive.

I run 10 dockers, no VM’s, running max 3 concurrent Plex streams.

No 4K, only 1080p with any external transcoding at 720p 4mbps.

Draws about 15 watts from the wall when idle.

I sometimes think I miss the power of my old build, 4c/8t Xeon with a P400, but the reality is I don’t and the electricity bill is minuscule in comparison.

Could you tell me what else you have? 

I currently have a massive case with 9 drives, but I've already bought 3 8TB drives.  I was originally going to use the 3 8TB drives to replace the 9 drives, but this system is old. Really old.  So, I think I might get an all new system.  And one that's lower power would be a benefit.

I really don't do much with my system.  It's really a storage location, though movies and TV are stored there, and two streams can be going at the same time.

Hardware wise:

case: an old Lian-Li PC-A05FN (although it’ll be moving to an Antec P101 I have due to the WD whites causing the aluminium case to hum when they’re spun up)

fans: 2 old Akasa Apache 120mm pwm 

psu: mid range 400w Be-Quiet

ram: 1 stick 16gb

Dockers:

Plex

Sonarr

Radarr

Sabnzdb

Pi hole

Glances

Home Assistant 

MQTT

Unifi-controller

Speedtest-tracker

I plan on plugging this into a TP link Kasa smart plug this weekend, so can update on the average daily and weekly power draw at a later date; initial idle draw was taken using a non smart monitor.

I’ve not messed with the bios yet, so there may be tweaks I could implement to lower the wattage, only fettling so far was to update the bios firmware (I can’t remember why, but I needed this to fix some issue).