No spin down for USB drive

Hi

I two drives in my setup

1x 12TB via USB as main drive, encrypted 

1x 256GB SSD drive as cache

all dockers, VMs moved to cache drive

checked with lsof /mnt/drive1 - no opened files, reset read/write stats - zero movement.

Spin down set to 15min but even when I try to spin it down manually - it does not respond.

Apr 7 09:35:59 UNRAID emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sdb

and thats all.

Attached diagnostics - it did 5 reads from my drive. 

I think I got all covered so my 3 big questions:

- is this even possible to spin down when its not a full array (no parity) and it contains only one drive as array, one as cache?

- perhaps this is because drive is encrypted

- USB drive will not spin down as this model is not capable of doing so somehow?

Any other ideas highly welcomed.

unraid-diagnostics-20210407-0949.zip

46 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

We don't recommend USB for array or pools devices, this is one reason, but mainly because they are prone to drop offline and USB is generally very bad at error handling.

I simply cannot connect it in any other way. Its NUC. One M2 slot for cache, other drives via USB only

Ist all about power consumption and size. It worked for me for many years (its old NUC6i5SYB) and this is really good and reliable.

This machine is only for plex basically. Nothing more. Got 2x NAS for storage - one Frankenstein-type (old QNAP hardware + UNRAID software) and new QNAP.

There is a SATA connector but for 2.5". Any idea if I can get this working somehow? I can take drive out from USB enclosure but any chance I can find some kind of cable that would connect full size SATA 3.5" to 2.5" small sata + power from external power supply that was delivered with USB enclosure? 

13 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You'd need to pass the SATA cable to the outside and use a 12V power supply for the disk, but it could work.

So SATA cable - I am able to pass it out as already got hole in enclosure done by previous owner.

Now I need to find converter from 12V DC to SATA 3.5 power connector. Kind of tricky :)

Yep, found same on at aliexpress. Bought it, will see. Looks like this is the way.

So will switch to SATA at the end. I also found out that there are M2 -> SATA multipliers so perhaps next drives will go this way if needed but dont think so.

As mentioned - this is plex only so even can go with some data over ethernet via network shares.

Thanks!

• Like 1