Drive Swap - Size

I had a 14TB drive (new, no data, just formatted and mounted) go bad and removed from system for refund.

I would like to replace it with a 10TB drive I have, but I notice the manual says not to go smaller.

I did not know in this case if it would matter as the drive did not store data?

Thanks....

It does matter, as parity emulates the full capacity of the drive, regardless of content. You will need to set a new config and recalculate parity based on the desired set of data drives.

Are you sure the emulated drive slot has no data? Most normal configurations start using empty drives for new data pretty much immediately, and removing the physical drive doesn't change the fact that parity is emulating the drive and can be written and read just like the drive was there. If there is data on the emulated slot you will need to manually move it before breaking parity with the new config.

SMART errors, and the drives were refurb's - have a few others that have worked for years but apparently these did not.

I moved the drives around in the cage to 3 different slots, no luck.

After the error unRaid would kick the drive back to the unassigned devices location and show error/unmountable.

So if you ever have an urge to buy from Water Panther, be cautious.

I'm sure they are just a labeler, but who knows where they get their drives.

Will stick with HGST & Seagate.