can't mount old parity drive for a pre-clear

hey there guys, 

I just upgraded my parity drive from 10TB to 12TB. It is rebuilding as we speak. However, before assigning the old 10TB parity drive to the array, i thought I'll clear it just to be safe. Popped it into an external USB case and tried to mount it with Unnasigned Devices and this is what I get: 

Apr 7 09:59:27 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdh1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/ST10000DM0004-2GR11L_ZJV697T7: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdh1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Attempting to delete the partition yields this: 

Apr 7 09:49:29 Tower unassigned.devices: Remove parition failed result 'Error: end of file while reading /dev/sdh '

I know the drive is good, used it as parity for two years. Should I be concerned with the above errors before popping it into the array without pre-clearing? It just threw me off. 

thanks! 

You can't mount it because a parity disk doesn't contain a file system. You don't need to pre-clear it before adding it to the array but you ought to be able to do so if that's what you want. Are you using the Preclear plugin and trying to start it from the Main page? If so go to Tools -> Preclear Disk and try it from there.

Edited by John_M
Fixed appalling grammar!
6 minutes ago, John_M said:

You can't mount it because a parity disk doesn't contain a file system. You don't need to pre-clear it before adding it to the array but you ought to be able to do so if that's what you want. Are you using the Preclear plugin and trying to start it from the Main page? If so go to Tools -> Preclear Disk and try it from there.

yes, that what I was doing, running it from the main page and got the error. Running it from the Tools seems to be working, the pre-clear started just fine. 

Odd, I was always under the impression it didn't matter where you running the pre-clear from. 

thanks again! 

9 minutes ago, daan_SVK said:

Odd, I was always under the impression it didn't matter where you running the pre-clear from. 

I've been using Preclear to test quite a few disks recently, all with filesystems - none of them former parity disks. I think the way the Unassigned Devices plugin interacts with the Preclear plugin has changed. The "brush and disk" Preclear icon doesn't appear in the UD area of the Main page if there's a partition on the disk. To make it appear you need to delete any existing partitions, but you were unable to do that. I don't know if that's because the disk in question is an ex-parity disk or whether it's something specific about your set-up. It's actually quite a nuisance to create a parity disk just to destroy it again in order to test, but one thing you ought to check is that Destructive Mode is enabled in Settings -> Unassigned Devices.

Edited by John_M
Typos
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, John_M said:

Unassigned Devices plugin interacts with the Preclear plugin has changed.

this must be it, I've done this in the past once or twice and don't remember having an issue. Pre-clear is running now so I should be able to use it as a replacement for my 6y old WD RED once completed.

thank again for your help, much appreciated!