Unraid 6.9 Capture, Encoding, and Streaming Server

2 hours ago, BillDStrong said:

How much latency does this add into the stream? One advantage of recording through the Gaming PC is the video image never has to leave the GPU before it is trancoded.

On the other hand I suppose it takes resources from the GPU, which can certainly cause other issues (drop in fps, etc.)

As most thing, it is probably a compromise depending on the hardware at hand for every one (network bandwidth, GPU resources, server resources, etc.)

• Like 1

@ChatNoir True, you can lose a few frames, but that might be a small price to pay if you are streaming and care about interacting with fans or with other streamers you might be streaming with. It does take some memory, so on memory hungry games you can experience fps drops. This is a great setup if you aren't streaming, for applications outside of gaming like creating tutorials and other things.

As someone who's used obs-ndi on a daily basis for a long time I do suggest running audio outside of obs-NDI. Either by just running a seperate NDI monitor and capturing the audio output, or by using separate solution like sonobus (open source).

The reason is a pair of bugs that have not been fixed as of version 4.9.1:

- Losing audio output completely. This is something that can randomly happen after weeks of use. Your audio output will break, but all the vu-meters and even monitoring still works. You won't notice it until your audience starts screaming at you.

- Desync. After a while there is a chance audio will drift out of sync with the video. Not something you'll notice in a test, but when running long streams this can get problematic.

- When using screen capture HX, instead of the normal screen capture, there's a chance all audio sources go 'robot mode'. There are reports that this may have been fixed by using the NDI 4.6 runtime over the 4.5 runtime that gets installed by default, but I'm just not taking any risks myself.

On 4/11/2021 at 1:26 PM, svenvv said:

As someone who's used obs-ndi on a daily basis for a long time I do suggest running audio outside of obs-NDI. Either by just running a seperate NDI monitor and capturing the audio output, or by using separate solution like sonobus (open source).

The reason is a pair of bugs that have not been fixed as of version 4.9.1:

- Losing audio output completely. This is something that can randomly happen after weeks of use. Your audio output will break, but all the vu-meters and even monitoring still works. You won't notice it until your audience starts screaming at you.

- Desync. After a while there is a chance audio will drift out of sync with the video. Not something you'll notice in a test, but when running long streams this can get problematic.

- When using screen capture HX, instead of the normal screen capture, there's a chance all audio sources go 'robot mode'. There are reports that this may have been fixed by using the NDI 4.6 runtime over the 4.5 runtime that gets installed by default, but I'm just not taking any risks myself.

That is very interesting, I haven't seen that yet.  I've had this setup for my Other for about a year and she has yet to have any issues like that when streaming.  I'm not 100% sure which versions of software she is running because my production stuff is different than my test stuff.  I'll definitely be keeping a look out for that in the future and maybe pitch in on some forums when we experience some issues.  Thanks for the heads up this is the first I have heard of it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just adding the NDI source makes OBS run at 40-50% CPU usage in the container, while looping it back to my windows pc it barely tickles 2-3%. Are there hidden requirements for GPU Video decoding with NDI, or is this just a NDI on linux thing?

This is with a GPU added (I see nvenc in obs) and "Allow hardware acceleration" checked on the NDI source.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
22 hours ago, hotel117 said:

Hi everyone, new to UNRAID and just getting my feet wet.

I can't get OBS to load when I log into the Ubuntu VNC. I get the error "Failed to create directory /root/.config/obs-stduio/basic", and then "Failed to create required user directories". 

Disregard, I downloaded a different app (still OBS NDI) and it worked really well. 

• 1 year later...