Unraid OS version 6.9.2 available

This release contains bug fixes and minor improvements.

To upgrade:

• First create a backup of your USB flash boot device: Main/Flash/Flash Backup
  • If you are running any 6.4 or later release, click 'Check for Updates' on the Tools/Update OS page.
  • If you are running a pre-6.4 release, click 'Check for Updates' on the Plugins page.
  • If the above doesn't work, navigate to Plugins/Install Plugin, select/copy/paste this plugin URL and click Install:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer.plg

Bugs: If you discover a bug or other issue in this release, please open a Stable Releases Bug Report.

Thank you to all Moderators, Community Developers and Community Members for reporting bugs, providing information and posting workarounds.

Please remember to make a flash backup!

Edit:

FYI - we included some code to further limit brute-force login attempts; however, fundamental changes to certain default settings will be made starting with 6.10 release.

Unraid OS has come a long way since originally conceived as a simple home NAS on a trusted LAN. It used to be that all protocols/shares/etc were by default "open" or "enabled" or "public" and if someone was interested in locking things down they would go do so on case-by-case basis. In addition, it wasn't so hard to tell users what to do because there wasn't that many things that had to be done. Let's call this approach convenience over security.

Now, we are a more sophisticated NAS, application and VM platform. I think it's obvious we need to take the opposite approach: security over convenience. What we have to do is lock everything down by default, and then instruct users how to unlock things.

For example:

• Force user to define a root password upon first webGUI access.
  • Make all shares not exported by default.
  • Disable SMBv1, ssh, telnet, ftp, nfs by default (some are already disabled by default).
  • Provide UI for ssh that lets them upload a public key and checkbox to enable keyboard password authentication.
  • etc.

We have already begun the 6.10 cycle and should have a -beta1 available soon early next week (hopefully).

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

I've been having this issue since 6.9.1 where a reboot or a shutdown causes unraid to force a parity check when it comes back online. I saw that lots of others (but not everyone) were having this issue. Just reporting that this does not appear to be fixed in 6.9.2 :(. If there are any details I can provide to help get it fixed, i'd be more than happy to!

Just now, Tweak3D said:

I've been having this issue since 6.9.1 where a reboot or a shutdown causes unraid to force a parity check when it comes back online. I saw that lots of others (but not everyone) were having this issue. Just reporting that this does not appear to be fixed in 6.9.2 :(. If there are any details I can provide to help get it fixed, i'd be more than happy to!

If the system has to kill off processes that are holding up the shutdown process, then this happens.  Could be as simple as a a command prompt sitting somewhere within /mnt/user, or could be a container that refuses to stop.  A lot of time, it's a Windows VM (in Settings - VM settings, set the system to hibernate everything during shutdowns, and install the virtio guest tools on the VM)

Updated to 6.9.2 easily with no issue so far.

A couple of posts were made earlier about 6.9.2 containing a kernel patch which would potentially address the macvlan/broadcast call traces on br0 networks when docker containers are assigned a specific IP address.  Creating a VLAN for docker containers solved the problem for me three years ago when I first came across the problem.

I am curious to know what patch that is and what it addresses to resolve the problem (assuming it has been solved).

Edited by Hoopster
14 minutes ago, Squid said:

If the system has to kill off processes that are holding up the shutdown process, then this happens.  Could be as simple as a a command prompt sitting somewhere within /mnt/user, or could be a container that refuses to stop.  A lot of time, it's a Windows VM (in Settings - VM settings, set the system to hibernate everything during shutdowns, and install the virtio guest tools on the VM)

I've only ever seen it on forced shutdowns previously. My config is mostly unchanged for the last several revisions of unraid. I only stopped looking into it as others reported the same issue and most said it was likely a bug.

I see now that it was also called out for those of us impacted that the logs were showing that the system wasn't waiting for the disks to shut down properly, and by toggling the field for disk timeout, this seemed to correct it (Post for reference: Parity check running when starting array every time - General Support - Unraid) and that seems to have corrected the issue for me as well. I changed the value to 100, saved, changed it back to 90 (what it was previously) and it looks like i'm good to go now. Hopefully this helps if others are having the same issue.

Edited by Tweak3D

Updated without any major issues except for nvidia plugin:

I only see version "v" available. Any way to bring back the 'STABLE' drivers over 'BETA'? Although I do respect having an option for 'bleeding edge', I appreciate stability over features. 

image.png.444e0d24c598c524cda438e198591c20.png

Edited by ezhik
54 minutes ago, ezhik said:

I only see version "v" available. Any way to bring back the 'STABLE' drivers over 'BETA'? Although I do respect having an option for 'bleeding edge', I appreciate stability over features. 

image.png.444e0d24c598c524cda438e198591c20.png

@ich777 will update them when he awakes.

He is on the other side of the world ;)

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, Dazog said:

@ich777 will update them when he awakes.

He is on the other side of the world ;)

Not to be the one to complain, but we need to turn from reactive to proactive. I genuinely appreciate the support here and the dev work put in here, but couldn't this be anticipated and communicated out to the developer ahead of time?

If we are trying to bridge the gap between core product devs and community devs, this could be avoided :)

In either case, no harm no foul. The system is running and we can wait for the fix.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, ezhik said:

Not to be the one to complain, but we need to turn from reactive to proactive. I genuinely appreciate the support here and the dev work put in here, but couldn't this be anticipated and communicated out to the developer ahead of time?

If we are trying to bridge the gap between core product devs and community devs, this could be avoided :)

In either case, no harm no foul. The system is running and we can wait for the fix.

It's hard to release it in the USA and around the world at the same time.

Someone is always sleeping.

Also @limetech getting us the latest kernel the same day it was released.

Hard to give the plugin devs the heads up when the linux kernel wasn't even released before they went to bed ;)

Edited by Dazog
  • Like 10
6 hours ago, Tweak3D said:

This is the way things should happen, this should NOT be changed.  If you want to cancel it, then login and cancel it...  to your own detriment.

3 hours ago, ezhik said:

Please read this for more information (try my best to build the packages as quick as possible but this time something prevented the automatic upload of the packages):

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please read this for more information (try my best to build the packages as quick as possible but this time something prevented the automatic upload of the packages):

No stress man! Your work is greatly appreciated! We are back in business:

--
image.png.8a910f0f99c90cc37a81e6801bb397ca.png

Edited by ezhik
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Abzstrak said:

This is the way things should happen, this should NOT be changed.  If you want to cancel it, then login and cancel it...  to your own detriment.

You are missing the distinction of a controlled shutdown / reboot vs. crash / lost power situation. The issue seems to be that on some systems and configuration the proper methods of shutting down and rebooting the array via the GUI or command line are not acting correctly, forcing a hard shutdown and triggering the appropriate parity check.

Pushing the shut down button in the Unraid management GUI should NOT cause a parity check on subsequent boot, but something is going wrong in the shutdown routine.

I believe there is a timeout to kill processes that is being ignored, and altering a setting and saving the changes fixes the issue. At least that's my recollection of the resolution.

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/stable-releases/691-parity-check-after-clean-shutdown-or-reboot-r1358/?tab=comments#comment-13674

11 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Updated to 6.9.2 easily with no issue so far.

A couple of posts were made earlier about 6.9.2 containing a kernel patch which would potentially address the macvlan/broadcast call traces on br0 networks when docker containers are assigned a specific IP address.  Creating a VLAN for docker containers solved the problem for me three years ago when I first came across the problem.

I am curious to know what patch that is and what it addresses to resolve the problem (assuming it has been solved).

I was wondering the same thing :)

I have created a bug report but is anyone else with SAS drives having an issue with the parity or others spinning down from GUI. Worked fine in 6.9.1 for me only parity is affected other SAS drives spin down fine.

Manual spin down via cmd line still works as expected. But system spins up when it tries to spin down.

Nginx did not start after update. SSH is available, all dockers seems to be up and available, but no web interface.

nginx: [emerg] invalid port in "*:98080" of the "listen" directive in /etc/nginx/conf.d/emhttp-servers.conf:37

Edited by ikiwi