Is appdata on networked storage no longer supported?

I dusted off my unRAID flash drive, got the latest stable and found out that it will not show the networked storage when you try to change the location of appdata, it even refuses to accept it if you input it manually. I assume I can get around that from the CLI but maybe there's a reason for the change, so I'm asking before I start hacking things. :)

Is it for the table for good? Will I still be able to set it off of unRAID's to networked on a case-by-case basis? (I haven't deployed anything yet)

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, vitaprimo said:

I dusted off my unRAID flash drive, got the latest stable and found out that it will not show the networked storage when you try to change the location of appdata,

What do you mean by networked storage?  The unRAID array? An Unassigned Devices (UD) location?

Beginning with unRAID 6.9.0, multiple cache pools are supported.  Whereas with prior versions it might have been desirable to have appdata on UD, those devices can now be designated as a cache pool (a pool can be just one drive).  Each share can have a different cache pool assigned to it or multiple shares can use the same cache pool (or none at all).

You can still designate an array drive or drives for appdata if you want it there, but an SSD is a much better choice.

There is still a "hack" way of getting appdata on an Unassigned Device but multiple cache pools is the preferred way.

1 hour ago, vitaprimo said:

Will I still be able to set it off of unRAID's to networked on a case-by-case basis?

I'm not really sure I understand your question. But in addition to what @Hoopster said, if you're just talking about accessing Shares over a network via Samba; yes it's possible to Export them or not (make them indexable vs only accessible by typing the path), set Security to only give specific users access (protecting the share with a password) and both. Here's the documentation, and here's a screenshot of the relative settings (accessible via Unraid WebUI Shares > {Share Name}) in case this is what you're talking about:

1637241823_ScreenShot2021-04-08at1_31_27pm.thumb.png.84ae054ecfbee14aeed3dd4ad48a3021.png

Edited by lnxd
On 4/7/2021 at 8:41 PM, Hoopster said:

What do you mean by networked storage?  The unRAID array? An Unassigned Devices (UD) location?

Beginning with unRAID 6.9.0, multiple cache pools are supported.  Whereas with prior versions it might have been desirable to have appdata on UD, those devices can now be designated as a cache pool (a pool can be just one drive).  Each share can have a different cache pool assigned to it or multiple shares can use the same cache pool (or none at all).

You can still designate an array drive or drives for appdata if you want it there, but an SSD is a much better choice.

There is still a "hack" way of getting appdata on an Unassigned Device but multiple cache pools is the preferred way.

Yep, Unassigned Devices, i.e; networked storage from unRAID's perspective.

I don't have cache pools, I don't even have parity. My server is a single small SSD and all storage is on NFS shares. I only used unRAID for the apps when I got it, then I switched to Fedora Server but I got it back online 'cause there's always something fresh and cool and unbelievably easy to manage by the unRAID's dev community it's hard to stay away.

To sum it up, I can now create a share on my little SSD then add UDs as cache pools to it. Correct? It seems like nice concept if the main storage is mechanical. Though if it's flash-based I hope they implemented some sort of referencing mechanism so the clients can access the UD-based cache directly at the servers providing them, more or less like DFS Namespaces so it doesn't have to route trough unRAID. I think I'll obsess with that today, I feel it already.

On 4/7/2021 at 9:33 PM, lnxd said:

I'm not really sure I understand your question. But in addition to what @Hoopster said, if you're just talking about accessing Shares over a network via Samba; yes it's possible to Export them or not (make them indexable vs only accessible by typing the pat...

Thanks that's really helpful. I had already. Basically unRAID shares nothing. It provides nothing to the network but its more like a data processor--well, the apps running on it.

Thanks again to both for answering. It's Friday here so, have a great weekend!

• Like 1

I havent tried to a mounted NFS share to host my appdata but I dont see why you couldnt just use the SSD array as your appdata drive?? unless its too small ofc. MAybe just get a decent sized SSD to handle this side of things for you? I use an NVME for this as I find the quicker access times and speed really make all my containers super snappy.