MSI MEG Z590i Unify - AX210 Bluetooth issues.

Trozmagon

Hi Guys,

I've just setup my new MSI MEG Z590i Unify which has an Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 and I'm getting a never ending flood of these in my Syslog:

Apr  8 13:05:15 server-new kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Reading Intel version information failed (-22)
Apr  8 13:05:15 server-new kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Intel Read version failed (-22)
Apr  8 13:05:15 server-new kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Intel reset sent to retry FW download
Apr  8 13:05:15 server-new kernel: usb 1-14: USB disconnect, device number 84
Apr  8 13:05:16 server-new kernel: usb 1-14: new full-speed USB device number 85 using xhci_hcd

Strangely I've disabled wifi and bluetooth in the bios and they are both still in my System Devices and the errors are still coming through.

Any advice? 

server-new-syslog-20210408-2011.zip

Edited by Trozmagon
4 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Not sure if it could help.

If you are not using those elements, what would happen if you stub those from Tools / System devices ?

Would that stop the logging ?

Thanks for the suggestion but I actually I think I just solved the logs filling up, I think it might have been because I had "Enable syslog Archiving?" enabled in the "Tips and Tweaks" Plugin, I've cleaned the logs and disabled it now so I'll monitor it over the next couple of days.

Still wouldn't mind solving it though as I would like to use the Bluetooth device in a VM.

58 minutes ago, Trozmagon said:

Still wouldn't mind solving it though as I would like to use the Bluetooth device in a VM.

If I am not mistaking (I do not use VM's), that would require to stub the device as suggested above.

Still not sure if it can prevent the log from being spammed though.

8 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

If I am not mistaking (I do not use VM's), that would require to stub the device as suggested above.

Still not sure if it can prevent the log from being spammed though.

It's onboard Bluetooth but it runs on the USB controller so it's just a case of passing it though when creating the VM, doesn't need to be stubbed.

Having said that It is currently stubbed and it hasn't changed anything unfortunately :(.

On 4/15/2021 at 4:48 PM, Trozmagon said:

Thanks for the suggestion but I actually I think I just solved the logs filling up, I think it might have been because I had "Enable syslog Archiving?" enabled in the "Tips and Tweaks" Plugin, I've cleaned the logs and disabled it now so I'll monitor it over the next couple of days.

I think I spoke to soon on this, "Enable syslog Archiving?" wasn't causing the logs to fill up, they're filling up regardless and I had another crash over the weekend :(.

Does limetech monitor the hardware forums or is it assumed that hardware issues aren't their problem? To me the error looks like the OS can't recognise the the device so it's stuck in a loop trying to figure out what firmware to attach to it.

It's definitely a firmware issue on intels side for this specific device on linux:

Unfortunately though I can't disable it in my bios as it seems to run on the same lane as my M2_2 which is in use for my cache and if I disable BT/WiFi card it disables that too, seems strange I know but probably a bug in the BIOS because of the newer z590 chipset.

Is there anyway to remove these entries from the syslog on the unraid side to stop it filling up? I've tried stubbing them out but that doesn't change anything. I can deal without having the device until intel figure their s*#t out but I need to figure out how to stop these logs without disabling my cache drive.

Solved it, I got my hands on a Thunderbolt 3 USB hub which has its own USB controller, I moved my Unraid USB stick to that and was able to stub out the entire USB controller on the motherboard to pass through to the VM, no more syslog errors and the Bluetooth device is working in the VM.

• 4 months later...
On 9/10/2021 at 11:49 PM, sdhayes said:

@Trozmagon just FYI, the updated linux kernel in Unraid version 6.10.0-rc1 solves this issue.  I was just about to RMA my Z590 AORUS Master motherboard for the same problem!

Hey mate, thanks for the heads up, I've been running stable with my thunderbolt setup for months now so I'm glad the firmware has finally been added :) 

• Like 1