[Solved] Drive Carriers flash every second since 6.9.2

There must be something different from 6.9.1 to 6.9.2 that leads to flashing drive carriers.

All drive carriers in 6.9.2 systems (HBA LSI 9300-8i, Backplane Supermicro BPN-SAS2-EL1) flash every second now. This flashing blue reports activity on the drive. The drives are spun down according to the Unraid GUI.

This did not happen on 6.9.1 systems.

Should I worry about this? And any idea what leads to this activity?

Thanks in advance.

Attached video (21 MB - sorry about the size).

Edited by hawihoney

i've only seen this with smart testing, where the disk shows spun down but smart is still running.

activity can look like this but if you haven't started a smart test then the cause is something else.

cache dir's polling, there are 3 disks i can see that don't flash is there something on those disks a share or something like that that they have in common.

Then trace from there what is configured not against those disks.

Your top left disk never flashes, your second row disk second from the bottom never flashes.

What is on those disks that unique share or something that is not configured on those?

• hawihoney changed the title to [Solved] Drive Carriers flash every second since 6.9.2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just started noticing this since upgrading to 6.9.2 from 6.9.1. I have a small test system and when all the vms/dockers are not running the small cache HDD spins down and the HDD Light flashes about even second.

No SAS.

@hawihoneyDid you raise a bug report for it if not I will create one.

Edited by SimonF
4 hours ago, SimonF said:

Did you raise a bug report for it if not I will create one.

No, I did not create a bug report. I could fix that with the SAS Shutdown plugin in 6.9.1.

With 6.9.2 I could remove the SAS Shutdown plugin. The flashing and shutdown problem was gone.

Some SATA devices still behave as SAS devices. Their drive carriers are solid blue (SAS indicator) and these devices still flash every second. But the majority of SATA devices doesn't flash any longer.

Edited by hawihoney
20 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

No, I did not create a bug report. I could fix that with the SAS Shutdown plugin in 6.9.1.

With 6.9.2 I could remove the SAS Shutdown plugin. The flashing and shutdown problem was gone.

Some SATA devices still behave as SAS devices. Their drive carriers are solid blue (SAS indicator) and these devices still flash every second. But the majority of SATA devices doesn't flash any longer.

I have raised one as my fractal case is flashing every second. I dont have any SAS Drives in this machine or plugin installed.

Edited by SimonF