[Support] k4cus - NTP server LTC, for local time

Hi guys,

I want to announce my simple ntp server, that can provide docker host localtime over ntp protocol.

What does it do?

This simple NTP server delivers time over ntp protocol to dummy devices like ip cameras, cheap routers that cannot handle time zone changes and day light saving correctly. With this container You can set your dummy device to use UTC time with no daylight saving and then point it to sychronize time ovet ntp protocol. This container will handle timezone correctly and deliver local time LTC to dummy device instead of UTC time (like regular ntp server does).

Install under unraid.

Go to docker tab in your unraid panel. At the bottom click add container. Then configure like at the image bellow. Replace ip with your own network ip address. Make sure selected ip is not taken by other device.

ntp1.png

After successful you will see:

ntp2.png

Point your dummy device to sync time over ntp.

This server localtime can be different, than docker host. Local time zone is provided by TZ variable.

Link to dockerhub: https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/k4cus/ntpserverltc

This is my first docker, so maybe It is not very clean implementation.

Edited by Kacper
  • 3 months later...

@jonathanm I stumbled across a similar question: I would have liked to use the built-in NTPD server, but it seems this is limited to the local IP, so it is not usable by other clients. Unfortunately this can't be adjusted via GUI.

For this reason, this Docker solution could be useful. Or does anyone have an idea how to open the integrated NTPD server without more complex customizations?

2 hours ago, nicx said:

I would have liked to use the built-in NTPD server, but it seems this is limited to the local IP, so it is not usable by other clients.

How did you come to this conclusion? I just tested it by putting the name of my Unraid server in the ntp server box for one of my windows laptops, and it synchronized just fine. With the appropriate firewall rule in place, it works over WAN as well.

9 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

How did you come to this conclusion? I just tested it by putting the name of my Unraid server in the ntp server box for one of my windows laptops, and it synchronized just fine. With the appropriate firewall rule in place, it works over WAN as well.

I tried the same with no luck. And if I check the ntp config on the unraid server I can see that its restricted to 127.0.0.1.

Edited by nicx