Questions about setting up a new NAS

Hello Guys 

I bought some new hardware and want to build a NAS,

x10drl-i and two CPU E5-2695v4 qs, I also have two desktop RAMs.

When I install both CPUs, two RAMs. But its can’t boot. I have changed every slot for memory,also didnt work.

When I use a single cpu, it is ok.

Should I must use server memory?

Does the desktop memory support daul CPUs? Or maybe other problems.

thank you for your suggestion

Just been through most of the problems in setting up a similar rig, dual x10dri-ln4+ board, e5-2683v4, currently 96gb ram. The memory is a real pain so far but just takes time to swap sticks around. In your case i believe the sticks go into bank A1 and E1 if both cpus are in use and you only have two sticks. And, yes, ECC memory must be used, by that i mean rdimms .... just have a good read of SimonF's linked thread and you'll have it sorted in no time.

When it boots up what resultcode are you seeing, i'm guessing same as me 'B7'?

Edited by superloopy1
On 4/11/2021 at 12:54 AM, uldise said:

what exactly memory do you have? are they populated for both CPU? are two EPS power connectors connected to use both CPU? 

Thank you for reply. I used normal memory, not server memory. and Yesterday I bought two ecc memory and solved the problem.

20 hours ago, superloopy1 said:

Just been through most of the problems in setting up a similar rig, dual x10dri-ln4+ board, e5-2683v4, currently 96gb ram. The memory is a real pain so far but just takes time to swap sticks around. In your case i believe the sticks go into bank A1 and E1 if both cpus are in use and you only have two sticks. And, yes, ECC memory must be used, by that i mean rdimms .... just have a good read of SimonF's linked thread and you'll have it sorted in no time.

When it boots up what resultcode are you seeing, i'm guessing same as me 'B7'?

Yes, for this reason, it was solved in this way. I was puzzled for a long time and couldn't find the answer. Until I bought two ecc RAMs Yesterday, the error code of my motherboard was 79. It may be that dual E5 V4 must use ecc memory. Before, I used dual E5 v3 and just used ordinary memory,it's work, But E5 V4 don't work.

thanks everyone