Bought 6TB HGST drives - SMR????

Hi guys,

Feeling a little stupid. My large torrents writing directly to UNRAID NAS kept failing. I tried everything and read that this can happen with SMR drives. I thought to myself, no way, not me. I just bought these used datacentre quality drives!

running a few of these:

HUS726T6TALE6L4  - 6TB

and one of these cheap consumer drives:

ST4000DM000 - 4TB

I've googled, but can't get a definitive answer - Tell me it isn't so...

Coincidentally, I'm looking at the HUS726T6TALE6L4 and HUS726T6TALN6L4 drives, and as far as I can tell, the only difference between them is NOK 50 in price and that the HUS726T6TALE6L4 is a 512e drive and the HUS726T6TALN6L4 is a 4Kn drive. The cost difference is negligible for a 4-drive purchase, but I'd like to get the better performer of the two if there even is a "better" rather than just "slightly different". The E drive is 512e sector aligned and emulates 4K sectors, and the N drive is 4K natively sector aligned. For just storage, will I even see a difference in performance either way I go as long as they are all the same and the drives aren't SMR (which they aren't)?

With regards to controller support, I read that some controllers don't support 4kN drives as the technology is "too new", but my understanding is that it's been supported in Linux since 2009 (kernel 2.6.31+). Will an LSI 9240-8i HBA (PCIe2 x8) work?