HP Compaq Pro 6300SFF Enabling IOMMU...

Hi all !

I try to enable IOMMU on my HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF with an i7-3770 intel processor.

i7-3700 is ready for VT-x & VT-d as we can see here :

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/fr/fr/ark/products/65719/intel-core-i7-3770-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

On the motherboard I had enable VTx (By default Disable) :

2013-11-27-17-14-56.jpg

On boot, I used :

label Unraid OS - HP6300SFF IOMMU
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append iommu=pt iommu=1 initrd=/bzroot

But unRAID 6.9.1 says "IOMMU: Disabled" :

IOMMU-6300.png

How can I make IOMMU Enable ?

I probably forgot something, but what ?

Can you help me ? :)

Thanks.

Sorry, google error, searched on 3700 and didn't notice the k.

Is your BIOS on the latest?

Also just found this. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Pro-6300-BIOS-missing-option-for-VT-d/td-p/7249759

Problem solved. I had to dig up the HP PC Commercial BIOS (UEFI) Setup Administration Guide, where it was explicitly written, that in order to use VTd and TXt, TPM must be enabled (and thus, a setup password must be set).

After I enabled the TPM and configured everything with BCU, I still don't see VTd in setup, but it's enabled and ESXi now allows me to pass through some hardware.

Edited by SimonF

I had post the CPU link on the first post :)

The lastest BIOS : 00.03.08 Rev.A

I know this link, but nothing's really clear... What is TPM ?

And they talking about windows...

I had add a setup password (and this Fxxxin' PC ask me password each time I reboot), but nothing's as changed.

:(

Edited by PicPoc

Sounds like you have a power on password as well as setup.

It will be the embedded security device.

Table 3-4 Computer Setup—Security (continued)
System Security
(some models: these
options are hardware
dependent)
Data Execution Prevention (enable/disable) - Helps prevent operating system security breaches.
Default is enabled.
Virtualization Technology (VTx)(some models) (enable/disable) - Controls the virtualization
features of the processor. Changing this setting requires turning the computer off and then back
on. Default is disabled.
Virtualization Technology Directed I/O (VTd) (some models) (enable/disable) - Controls
virtualization DMA remapping features of the chipset. Changing this setting requires turning the
computer off and then back on. Default is disabled.
Trusted Execution Technology (enable/disable) — Enabling automatically enables VTx and VTd
and disable OS Management of Embedded Security Device. Embedded Security Device must be
enabled to enable this feature.
Intel TXT (LT) Support (some models) (enable/disable) - Controls the underlying processor and
chipset features needed to support a virtual appliance. Changing this setting requires turning the
computer off and then back on. Default is disabled. To enable this feature you must enable the
following features:
● Embedded Security Device Support
● Virtualization Technology
● Virtualization Technology Directed I/O
Embedded Security Device (some models) (enable/disable) - Permits activation and deactivation
of the Embedded Security Device. Changing this setting requires turning the computer off and
then back on.
NOTE: To configure the Embedded Security Device, a Setup password must be set.
● Reset to Factory Settings (some models) (Do not reset/Reset) - Resetting to factory defaults
will erase all security keys. Changing this setting requires turning the computer off and then
back on. Default is Do not reset.
CAUTION: The embedded security device is a critical component of many security
schemes. Erasing the security keys will prevent access to data protected by the Embedded
Security Device. Choosing Reset to Factory Settings may result in significant data loss.
OS management of Embedded Security Device (some models) (enable/disable) - This option
allows the user to limit operating system control of the Embedded Security Device. Changing this
setting requires turning the computer off and then back on. This option allows the user to limit OS
control of the Embedded Security Device. Default is enabled. This option is automatically disabled
if Trusted Execution Technology is enabled.
Reset of Embedded Security Device through OS (some models) (enable/disable) - This option
allows the user to limit the operating system ability to request a Reset to Factory Settings of the
Embedded Security Device. Changing this setting requires turning the computer off and then back
on. Default is disabled.
NOTE: To enable this option, a Setup password must be set.

page 29 in this doc.

http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1027043289.pdf

Anyway, thank you for your help. I especially think that it is a machine for windows, because it is not finished. This is not serious.

:(

Waiting for a unRAID user with this machine... ;)

Just to know : your setup is OK for passtrough ? Xeon is really nice & Pro solution.

• 2 weeks later...