ChipBuffalo - upgrade from V4.4.2

Hello, old user but way out of practice. Have been using unraid for about 12 years now, and last upgrade on server was to V4.4.2. Well, I have been looking to upgrade and found this forum and believe I might have messed up my system. I did not properly back up my old version. I was not able to boot because the machine is worn out. So I just copied the USB drive to my WIN desktop. 

Tried installing the latest stable version of unraid, and can not get it to boot NOR can I get my old version to boot. Couple questions:

1) Can I get a copy of 4.4.2 and try to get it running again?

2) If I just go straight to figuring out what's wrong with my system for not booting, will my original drive structure still be intact or will I lose all my data?

Thank you for any help you might point me to. 

CB

52 minutes ago, ChipBuffalo said:

Hello, old user but way out of practice. Have been using unraid for about 12 years now, and last upgrade on server was to V4.4.2. Well, I have been looking to upgrade and found this forum and believe I might have messed up my system. I did not properly back up my old version. I was not able to boot because the machine is worn out. So I just copied the USB drive to my WIN desktop. 

Tried installing the latest stable version of unraid, and can not get it to boot NOR can I get my old version to boot. Couple questions:

1) Can I get a copy of 4.4.2 and try to get it running again?

2) If I just go straight to figuring out what's wrong with my system for not booting, will my original drive structure still be intact or will I lose all my data?

Thank you for any help you might point me to. 

CB

your data should all be intact if you can get the latest unRaid release running.   You mention the system is old - is it 64-bit capable (as this is requirement for v6 of unRaid).  The last version that ran on 32-bit systems was v5.0.6.

as to getting hold of such an old version as 4.4.2 I have no idea where you might get hold of it.

@ChipBuffalo

2 hours ago, ChipBuffalo said:

NOR can I get my old version to boot

I think there should have still been a makebootable.bat in the files you copied to your PC. Did you try to run that to see if you could make the old version bootable?

44 minutes ago, ChipBuffalo said:

might just be 32bit

If you can get that old version to boot, you might be able to use this method to find out:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Legacy/Upgrading_to_Unraid_6#Basic_hardware_requirements

Had to go looking for that because the wiki has been reorganized. The full upgrade article is here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Legacy/Upgrading_to_Unraid_6

In any case, you should be able to use your data disks with their data intact in a new install, whether new hardware or not.

No, what I did was just copy the USB files to my WIN desktop, then overwrote the USB with the new version. I have been wanting to upgrade the MOBO/CHIP for a while now, so this is a good opportunity, my only fear is if it somehow can't read my old disk structure. I do not even remember if I did some sort of RAID configuration? I think not, I believe that I just had unRAID do it's own thing. 

On 4/10/2021 at 1:08 PM, trurl said:

@ChipBuffalo

I think there should have still been a makebootable.bat in the files you copied to your PC. Did you try to run that to see if you could make the old version bootable?

If you can get that old version to boot, you might be able to use this method to find out:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Legacy/Upgrading_to_Unraid_6#Basic_hardware_requirements

Had to go looking for that because the wiki has been reorganized. The full upgrade article is here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Legacy/Upgrading_to_Unraid_6

In any case, you should be able to use your data disks with their data intact in a new install, whether new hardware or not.

Thank you Trurl, I will check those out. My "backup" did not have a "makebootable.bat" in the files. I think it's lost. So long as I didn't lose all my old files. 

Appreciate your help. 

CB