Upgrade to 6.9.2: "Kernel panic - not syncing..."

Hello all,

I just upgraded my Unraid server to version 6.9.2 from 6.9.0. After a reboot I was greeted with a kernel panic:

kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

After flashing and testing another flash drive, I got the same message. I then flashed version 6.9.0 back on to the previous flash drive and everything is now working again. I am yet to run memtest, doing that when I go to bed in a couple of hours and leave it overnight, but I do have ECC memory so isn't that supposed to self-correct errors?

As I don't really have the money to buy a new server, I want to keep this *** running for as long as I can. So if it means not upgrading, so be it.

Attached is a screenshot of the kernel panic.

java_2021-04-10_21-50-09.png

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Marc_G2 said:

So did it only work for you after you tried a third USB stick?  Did you ever try booting in safe mode?

I tried a couple of USB 3.0 drives and got an error on everyone of them, finnaly I tried a random USB 2.0 I had laying around and it worked on the first time. So maybe if you're using USB 3.0, switch to USB 2.0

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, xylcro said:

I tried a couple of USB 3.0 drives and got an error on everyone of them, finnaly I tried a random USB 2.0 I had laying around and it worked on the first time. So maybe if you're using USB 3.0, switch to USB 2.0

It turns out my issue was caused by something completely different.  But I will keep that in mind going forward.

• 2 months later...

Hi, today I was updating the unRaid OS (new update today?) and got the same problem as xylcro above. Should I roll back to previous  verision? Or changing USB memory again? Do I have to change USB memory every time I update the OS? (I think I had the same problem last time. Or similar.. )

Edit: no, it was about LZMA corrupt (formating the USB-memory fixed that one).

dell.JPG

Edited by TomH

Yes!! 😃 Thanks!

Downloaded & created a new version of the usb-flash (using the same USB-stick as before). Now the server is alive again! ✌️

But the version I downloaded was 6.9.2 and that was what I had before too(?) Why did I get a request for update the OS then? Have I been hacked?

I was updateing some dockers and plugins and then I got a request for updating the OS.

Strange... do I need to be worried?

5 minutes ago, TomH said:

Why did I get a request for update the OS then? Have I been hacked?

You said that you were updating so I assume that was to 6.9.2 ?   

The reason for the approach I suggested is that I have seen that in the past occasionally that when updating via the GUI  the new files for the new release seem to not have been written successfully to the flash resulting in the symptoms you got and rewriting them outside the update process gives you a good copy.

• Like 1

I had 6.9.2 before, therefor strange to me that i got the OS update request.

I copied all old flash files to a backup disk, created the new flash and copied the old "config" folder to the new flash. But now I see that all my dockers are gone? I have to reinstall all dockers. What did I do wrong?