Upgrade to 6.9.2: "Kernel panic - not syncing..."

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello all,

I just upgraded my Unraid server to version 6.9.2 from 6.9.0. After a reboot I was greeted with a kernel panic:

kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

After flashing and testing another flash drive, I got the same message. I then flashed version 6.9.0 back on to the previous flash drive and everything is now working again. I am yet to run memtest, doing that when I go to bed in a couple of hours and leave it overnight, but I do have ECC memory so isn't that supposed to self-correct errors?

As I don't really have the money to buy a new server, I want to keep this *** running for as long as I can. So if it means not upgrading, so be it.

Attached is a screenshot of the kernel panic.

java_2021-04-10_21-50-09.png

11 hours ago, xylcro said:

After flashing and testing another flash drive, I got the same message

This is still usually flash drive related, you should try another one.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just encountered this for the first time today.  Still trying to deal with it.  Could there be an issue with 6.9.2?

It was working for me a while though.  

Edited by Marc_G2
4 hours ago, xylcro said:

I was finnaly able to use another USB, USB 2.0 this time. No errors this time!

So did it only work for you after you tried a third USB stick?  Did you ever try booting in safe mode?

18 hours ago, Marc_G2 said:

So did it only work for you after you tried a third USB stick?  Did you ever try booting in safe mode?

I tried a couple of USB 3.0 drives and got an error on everyone of them, finnaly I tried a random USB 2.0 I had laying around and it worked on the first time. So maybe if you're using USB 3.0, switch to USB 2.0

13 minutes ago, xylcro said:

I tried a couple of USB 3.0 drives and got an error on everyone of them, finnaly I tried a random USB 2.0 I had laying around and it worked on the first time. So maybe if you're using USB 3.0, switch to USB 2.0

It turns out my issue was caused by something completely different.  But I will keep that in mind going forward.