What to add more drives to array and replace the SSD drive.. si there anything I need to know?

I want to change my SSD to a larger drive as well as add a 2nd ssd so it has protection.... I also want while I am doing this to add another drive to the main array.

My understanding is I just need to activate the MOVE function to make sure the SSD is all moved to the array, and then take note of the drive ids in the stopped array and make sure when I restart the array with the new drive they are added into the array at the same spot. So Disk Y63HB gose back in slot 1 of the array. As I am replacing the SSD, I just addd them.

What about the Docker stuff? That is all hosted on the SSD right? How do I back that up?

What is your existing cache drive format? 

If its already BTRFS then you could just add drives to the pool, if it is XFS then you will need to move the array as you will need BTRFS to have more that one SSD in a pool.

You need to change the appdata/system/domains to use cache yes from prefer. Stop docker and VM Manager, They run the mover.

CA APPDATA BACKUP / RESTORE V2 can be used to backup your docker files pre move.

Edited by SimonF

On 4/11/2021 at 5:28 PM, SimonF said:

What is your existing cache drive format? 

My Cache is encrypted BTRFS. I was planning to not "Add" to the pool., but just strait up replace the SSD drive. I only have a 250GB drive... and thought I would add a 1TB drive as a replacement?  I am close to the hardware limit of my motherboard for adding new drives.. and want to save the space for large data drives.

On 4/11/2021 at 5:28 PM, SimonF said:

You need to change the appdata/system/domains to use cache yes from prefer. Stop docker and VM Manager, They run the mover.

CA APPDATA BACKUP / RESTORE V2 can be used to backup your docker files pre move.

I'm not sure I understand this.... 

The "Domain" share is set to "prefer cache" already, but what is CA APPDATA BACKUP? I can not see that in plugins or settings... is it something I need to install?

When I find this app... it backs up the docker stuff.... to where.. the main array? Then I just restore from there?

On 4/11/2021 at 3:44 PM, questionbot said:

take note of the drive ids in the stopped array and make sure when I restart the array with the new drive they are added into the array at the same spot. So Disk Y63HB gose back in slot 1 of the array. As I am replacing the SSD, I just addd them.

Also, is this correct? If I add new drives to the array.... I just do it this way?

Edited by questionbot
3 hours ago, questionbot said:

I'm not sure I understand this.... 

To replace the cache you need to move the data onto the array see wiki doc.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Replace_A_Cache_Drive

Appdata backup is a plugin you need to install, and it will backup to a location you specify, i.e. array share.

3 hours ago, questionbot said:

Also, is this correct? If I add new drives to the array.... I just do it this way?

Yes you are not changing the existing array drives, so just add them into a free slot.