6.9.2 Prefer cache - Mover does not move files from array to cache

TGP

Hello,

I have the problem, that when I switch shares to "prefer cache", the mover will do nothing. Mover tuning was uninstalled for testing. There is plenty of space in the cache drive (700GB free, around 100GB should be moved from the array to cache).

Is there anything I'm missing?

Is it a problem that the cache drives were added later? If so, how can I get the mover to transfer it anyway?

Thanks in advance

Edited by TGP

9 minutes ago, TGP said:

Is it a problem that the cache drives were added later?

This is not a problem - in fact it is one of the purposes of the 'prefer' setting.

Note that open files cannot be moved so you may need to temporarily disable the docker and/or VM services if they are holding open files you want to be moved.

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your systems diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools->Diagnostics) to your NEXT post.  You could also try enabling mover logging to see if that giver a clue.

9 minutes ago, TGP said:

I  reinstalled it meanwhile. I removed it and tried again, there was no difference. I even rebooted the server after uninstalling. But I can repeat the steps if it helps.

There was no mover logging in the last diagnostics posted - not sure if the plugin interferes with that and without that it is hard to guess what might be going wrong.  The last diagnostics show mover logging NOT enabled so you might want to check that as well.

Might have to wait to see if anyone else has any idea :( 

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

Interestingly enough only shares with Windows imagebackups and filehistory  are affected.

I must admit that I can not think of any reason that should be the case.   Not sure why you would want imagebackups on the cache in the first place

I was thinking that a share anonymised as M....a might be a Media share that was having these problems?  

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

It's a bug, mover isn't working for shares with a space in the name, you should create a bug report.

As a workaround you can rename the share, using for example an underscore.

@JorgeB can you see if this fixes it: (and doesn't cause any other issues - It shouldn't)

Save the attached as /usr/local/sbin/mover  (and give it executable permissions)

mover

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 3:40 PM, Squid said:

@JorgeB can you see if this fixes it: (and doesn't cause any other issues - It shouldn't)

Save the attached as /usr/local/sbin/mover  (and give it executable permissions)

mover 4.07 kB · 7 downloads

I had a similar issue with appdata for containers. this solved it for me, moved everything i was expecting.

so THANK YOU! 

Does still seem to have an issue with .folderd (.icons in my case). Not an issue for me since those will be deleted anyway, but perhaps good to know. 

I see errors like:

May 3 14:23:30 Zorby move: move: file /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-preclear/home/.icons/BLACK-Ice-Numix-FLAT/scalable/actions/reply-rtl-symbolic.svg
May 3 14:23:30 Zorby move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/

Upon checking these files do actually exist. 

• 1 year later...

The bug is still not fixed.

I am using 6.11.0-rc4, its fine moving files from cache pool to the array with a space in the share name.

But after replacing the Cache drive i cannot move the files back.

Mover starts and finishes instantly.

Renamed the share with out a space and mover started moving files to the new cache drive.

Will submit a bug report