Cheapest way to 10 Gig Eth

Drackeo

Hi All, Just got into unraid and im already planning a massive hardware overhaul. I'm moving from a i7-2600 to a dual Xeon E5-2630 V3 machine. As a part of this upgrade Id also like to use this opportunity to start transitioning to 10 gig. What im wondering is what it the cheapest way I can move foreword with adding 10 gig to my server. There looks to be a LOT of old server hardware on ebay that I could get for like $40. The linked card looks to be 10gig over standard rj45. Would something like this work with Unraid?

Hi Drackeo - you have first to make a decision:  to use RJ45 / Cat 6A cable, or to use SFP+ based connectors.

This will drive the kind of card you purchase.

For RJ45 / Cat6A:

Pros: * Connectorized cables are inexpensive and readily available, or you can make your own.

Cons: * The modules with RJ45 are usually higher priced,

* The latency is a (lot) more than SFP+ units,

* The power is a higher than SFP+ units.

* The reach is sometimes limited to 30 meters depending on the interface.  Some SFP+ to RJ45 adaptors have such limited reach.

For SFP+ :

Cons:  * You need a special cable.  Can be DAC (Direct Attached Copper), Multimode fiber (several hundred meters) or Single mode fiber (about 10 km).

* DAC copper usually limited in reach to maybe 10 meters.

Pros:   * The prices on 10G DAC and fiber have dropped dramatically recently. I saw DAC 3 foot for $15, MMF for $17 and SMF for $27.

* SFP+ usually has much better latency and lower power.

You should look at the total system cost (Cards, modules, cables, etc.).  NICs with SFP+ and 10G switches with SFP+ can be significantly

less expensive than RJ45.

Note there are SFP+ adaptors that plug into SFP+ slot and provide RJ-45 interface. Check the reach of these as the less expensive ones have poor reach on CAT 6A. The power of the adaptor may limit how many you can plug into a SFP+ switch.  But they are handy when you have a device and you have to convert.

-- Tom