(SOLVED) Disk failed during rebuild - In a bad spot

Hello,

I replaced an 8TB Drive with a 14tb drive, and while rebuilding, a separate 14tb drive failed on me. I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm probably going to lose data, what would be the best steps to resolve this situation with as little data loss as possible?

My hope is that I can put the 8TB i had back into the array, and use the drive I was going to use as an upgrade to now instead replace the newly failed 14tb drive, but im unsure if this is possible.

Thank You

unraid-diagnostics-20210411-1008.zip

Edited by guyonphone

Hi Jorgeb, unfortunately I can't, the array doesn't see the drive, it shows as missing.

Basically the behavior I see by the drive is that it spins up, is seen by the bios in post but then becomes unresponsive when the os loads. Happens in windows too. I can see the disk in disk manager after I boot as uninitialized disk, but then I do a rescan, and It disappears.

Edited by guyonphone

Assuming the disk was good data on that disk is 100% recoverable, data on the disk7 on the other hand could be lost, there's a chance of recovery by getting the old disk there and force a rebuild of disk7, but this would only work if the data on the array is 100% unchanged since you tried the rebuild, and even so there's a chance of some filesystem corruption since parity with the old disk won't be 100% valid due to mounting the other disks.

Connect the old disk back, then go to Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply

Back in the main page assign the old disk, unassign disk7, you can leave that slot unused or assign a new disk there if you want, remaining disks should already be correctly assigned, check all is well and start the array to begin a parity sync.

• Thanks 1
  • guyonphone changed the title to (SUPPORT) Disk failed during rebuild - In a bad spot
  • guyonphone changed the title to (SOLVED) Disk failed during rebuild - In a bad spot