Disk read errors on 3 drives suddenly

A few weeks ago I started getting read errors on three new-to-me drives that I recently picked up. These drives are all older 8tb Seagate Archive drives which I picked up off of someone in an unused state - they only have <2 months of power-on hours.

I am only getting these read errors near the end of parity checks and only on these drives. The drives were pre-cleared without issue before having them be put in.

I am currently using a supermicro SC846 case with a SAS2-EL1 backplane and an LSI 9205-8i HBA with both cables plugged into the backplane. I thought the added drives might be stressing the HBA so I added a 40mm fan to it with no change. I have also tried reseating the HBA and the cables, as well as changing the slots the drives are in. The odd thing is that all 3 usually have identical levels of read errors, sometimes only a few and sometimes tens or hundreds of thousands.

The drives all pass extended SMART tests and don't seem to have any other issues.

I have no idea what the issue could be here - I really doubt all 3 drives are failing in the same way at the same time but I don't see another issue? Could it be the HBA? if so, why only these drives?

tower-diagnostics-20210411-1628.zip

Edited by tdunks
Diagnostics

I had exactly this happening with my SAS drives under 6.9.1 when I started using the SAS spindown plugin, see my post here:

Same case, same backplane, but using SM motherboard with integrated HBA.

Edited by akawoz
more info on my config
On 4/11/2021 at 4:29 PM, akawoz said:

I had exactly this happening with my SAS drives under 6.9.1 when I started using the SAS spindown plugin, see my post here:

Same case, same backplane, but using SM motherboard with integrated HBA.

I just did this fix and tried a parity check again with the same results. I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

arent LSI _the_ recommended cards?  Forgive my ignorance but it is very surprising to read that a common, recommended controller doesnt play nicely with unraid.  What's the deal with this?

(I have two LSI cards and _extremely_ happy that I havent yet moved on from 6.8.3, jesus)

• 2 weeks later...