Very sluggish performance/unusable as media server...why?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see reply #19 in this thread

This one?

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:25:90:0c:50:e4

inet addr:10.0.1.11  Bcast:10.0.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:926205 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:941402 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:91291911 (87.0 MiB)  TX bytes:1053478158 (1004.6 MiB)

Memory:fb5e0000-fb600000

Was captured after playing while it was stuttering?  I though you said that was done with it connected wired and it worked as expected?

here it is after playing a while:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:25:90:0c:50:e4 

inet addr:10.0.1.11  Bcast:10.0.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:926205 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:941402 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:91291911 (87.0 MiB)  TX bytes:1053478158 (1004.6 MiB)

Memory:fb5e0000-fb600000

BTW, it works fine wired, as expected.I just can't have the cables strung across the hallway :o

Would powerline adaptors be fast enough to use for this?

You can mount the cable on the ceiling using cable hooks or staples. If you try to keep it in the corners it might even look professional. It is a bit 19th century though. Powerline adapters advertise 200Mbps so it should work better than WIFI but it depends on your wiring and circuit layout.

Was captured after playing while it was stuttering?  I though you said that was done with it connected wired and it worked as expected?

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. The ifconfig output was indeed captured after playing over wireless (with stuttering) for a while. I then cobbled together some extra wiring to attach a computer to the router directly just to make sure it would work. The videos then played fine - that was the "as expected" part.

That shows then, the there were no Ethernet errors on the unRAID side.

Are you playing the same file from unRAID that you are playing from the other source?

How is the AirDisk connected to the Airport Extreme?

What other source? I have no airdisk. There's only UnRAID serving video over the network and stuttering when attempting to play it on a wirelessly connected laptop (or other computer). If that same computer is wired to the network the video plays fine.

That shows then, the there were no Ethernet errors on the unRAID side.

Are you playing the same file from unRAID that you are playing from the other source?

How is the AirDisk connected to the Airport Extreme?

What other source? I have no airdisk. There's only UnRAID serving video over the network and stuttering when attempting to play it on a wirelessly connected laptop (or other computer). If that same computer is wired to the network the video plays fine.

This is not unusual. WIFI performance can vary greatly.

The OP was comparing an Airdisk connected to Airport via USB using AFP to unRAID connected to Airport via Gig-E using SMB. And his problem is also not unusual. SMB to the Mac has lousy performance compared to AFP.

EDIT: the OP could try using nfs shares or version 5.0b4 with AFP. Either should solve the problem.

jumping back in after reading todays posts...here's my ifconfig eth0 results:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 6c:f0:49:73:6a:6b 

inet addr:10.0.1.15  Bcast:10.0.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:492722 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:479635 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:48889249 (46.6 MiB)  TX bytes:514939773 (491.0 MiB)

Interrupt:26 Base address:0xe000

and just to confirm, this is a wired setup, supposedly CAT6

So this is a mixture of 2 systems.... great.

>:( >:(>:(

This is why threads hijack are bad .... the rest of us can't keep the players straight.

If you have a similar problem, wait on the resolution for the OP's problem, and then if the resolution for the OP's problem does not work for you, start a new thread.

timeforanewmac:

Can you explain how everything is connected?  What is connected to what?

Also, you said "supposedly" Cat6.... can you check the cables and see if they are actually labeled as Cat6?

Are the results you posted done while playing a file that stuttered?

Have you tried NFS or AFP on unRAID rather than SMB?

timeforanewmac:

Can you explain how everything is connected?  What is connected to what?

Also, you said "supposedly" Cat6.... can you check the cables and see if they are actually labeled as Cat6?

Are the results you posted done while playing a file that stuttered?

Have you tried NFS or AFP on unRAID rather than SMB?

yes, results are for trying to play a dvd rip

the unRAID system is connected to a gigabit switch, which is connected to a WR54TG router (that acts as an extender for upstairs), and the lights show it's connected at gigabit speed

my macbook and everything downstairs is connected by CAT6 cables to the airport extreme base station...and it's CAT6 that connects the downstairs airport extreme to the WR54TG upstairs

yes, everything is CAT6, cables and jacks

SMB is the only way to connect that works for me...NFS just sort of times out after failing to connect, and AFP flat out says that the unRAID box doesn't exist and that I should check my settings.  I'm trying to connect on my macbook pro desktop by going to go>connect to server> and putting in SMB://10. etc.  I tried using NFS://10. etc, and same for the AFP...is their some other way that i should be doing it?

Thanks again for the help.

for NFS I believe you have to specify each specific share in a slightly different manner . For instance, My array right now has 2 disk shares (disk1, disk2), user shares are not enabled, ATM. In the finder connection dialog (command-K), I put in  "nfs://tower/mnt/disk2" and the finder window shows the usual connection info, after authentication dialog, of course, but lists "connected as: NFS". If you have user shares then the command would be "nfs://tower/mnt/user/usersharename". Obviously if you have renamed your server, substitute that name, or IP address for 'tower' in the previous commands. usersharename is the user share, for instance 'Movies", that you have set up.

You need to have set up the NFS shares in the UnRAID shares settings with the following export setting: [iP](rw,insecure), where [iP] is the ip address you want to limit the share to, or '*' if you want blanket access.

You also need to use Disk Utility (File Menu -> NFS Shares..) to set a mountpoint (at least I think that's what it does), typically /Volumes/mountpointname. The thread (below) has some other options vs. using Disk Utility to create mountpoints.

See also this thread

Hope that helps, it worked to remove my stuttering, although it was over a wireless connection. Forgive me if you knew all this, but it took me a bit of wrangling to get it working yesdterday.

OK, I've tried setting up my unRAID as NFS, but it's not working.  It keeps telling me that "The folder “DVD Collection” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents."

I've used Disk Utility to mount the share and that seems to be working OK...that is, when I select Verify it comes back and says that "the NFS server responded and appears to be functioning"

in the unraid settings, I've selected *(rw,insecure) option. Also, I've rebooted everything just in case that clears up anything.

I also tried using that 'NFS manager' application, but it doesn't work either, and I don't want to go down another side road....the Disk Utility NFS mount features should work.

So, to summarize, I started this thread because the smb mounted shares stutter like crazy when trying to stream a DVD rip....so I'm trying to gain some speed by mounting the same share via NFS...but can't get it to mount properly.  And I've already read just about every thread related to macs and nfs just in case I've missed something. Very frustrating.