SSD for different pools, specifically plex

jebusfreek666

I am in the process of a complete re-haul of my server to increase current storage and expandability. I am transitioning to a CSE-846 case, and will also be updating some of the hardware. Currently for my Cache I am running 2x Samsung Evo 850 500Gb SDDs in Raid1 that house everything I cache (downloads/file transfers, Docker app data, VMs). I would like to take advantage of the new multiple pools feature in Unraid 6.9 after I update. I also have on order a Samsung Evo 870 1Tb, and a Samsung 870 2Tb SDD. I am probably going to do the pools as follows:

Plex app data (with metadata and full video preview thumbnails)

Deluge DL's and File transfers

Docker app data, and VMs

The vast majority of my server is filled with Movies (approx. 2500) and TV shows (approx. 10,000 episodes) and it is, above all else, a Plex Server. I am currently at 96Tb total array, with about 80% full. I will be expanding this very shortly. And with the addition of starting a 4k UHD collection soon, I could see the server array doubling in short order.

My question is, which drive should I use for each pool? I am leaning towards doing it like this:

Plex app data -> Evo 870 2Tb

Deluge DL's and File Transfers -> Evo 870 1Tb

Docker app data and VMs -> 2x Evo 850 in Raid1

I'd like to use the 870's for DL as they are brand new, and have way better longevity when it comes to repeated writes. I am just not sure if my plex app data will grow to the point where it would be worth it to use the 870 2Tb once I enable video preview. I had it before when my server was half the size it is now and it filled my cache pretty quickly, but again that was only a 500Gb that held everything. So I guess, if anyone has a plex server around 200Tb and could comment on the size of the plex App Data folder with video previews that would be super helpful! Anyway, does this seem like the optimal layout or am I doing something dumb?

This is kinda interesting. I've toyed with the idea of using thumbnails many many times and just haven't ever pulled the trigger because I have zero idea on how much space it would actually need. 

I'm just shy of your Movie Collection, but I'm easily at your TV Collection or more and wondered how much space I'd need too. 

I'm running a 1TB 870evo for everything, but I have a spare 240 that I use for a this and that drive. 

Sorry I'm not really adding anything constructive, but I'm here to see where this goes too. ;)

I might consider going with thumbnails for Movies since TV shows are pretty easy to scrub through and only last 20-45minutes vs 90-300minutes for movies. 

Somebody on reddit said that on average it is 30-80Mb per file. Then you figure out a rough number by multiplying that by the total number of video files you have (movies + episodes). For me, that ends up being 12,500 files as it stands now. 12,500 * 80Mb (worst case) would be 1,000,000Mb, or almost 1Tb already. While I feel this is probably way on the high side for my current collection, it does point towards using the 2Tb for plex I think. If I remember correctly when my collection was about half its current size and I had thumbnails enabled, I think it was using about 300Gb. This would put me in the 600Gb range as it stands currently. So my best guess is a pretty wide range of 600Gb - 1Tb as it stands. Either way, I think it is probably best to use the 2Tb here. Unless someone else can chime in with first hand knowledge.

Thanks for the info on the Thumbnails. ;)

Cache Pool aka 1 drive currently 1TB Evo 970

Cache/Appdata, shares and little scratch pad things I tinker with

ssdBackup Pool aka 1 drive currently I believe its a Sandisk Pro 240GB

Backup of my Cache/Appdata with Daily Snap Shots using a Rysync script

Just keep in mind a lot of External Controller cards do not support Trim unless you do some research and know if your Firmware supports it. I have my two SSD's plugged directly into my Motherboard because my Particular board supports 10 Sata connections. 

39 minutes ago, kizer said:

Just keep in mind a lot of External Controller cards do not support Trim unless you do some research and know if your Firmware supports it. I have my two SSD's plugged directly into my Motherboard because my Particular board supports 10 Sata connections. 

Yeah, I will have all the spinners in the front 24 bays going through the HBA. All the SSDs will be direct connect to the MOBO Sata ports.