Failed drive notification not working

I'm new to unraid so I'm sure I'm just missing something.

I've got a unraid box setup with a basic array of 5 disks, 1 parity and 4 in the array.
I wanted to go through a drive failure and replacement tests so I know what that looks like before the box goes live in my environment.

To simulate a failed disk, I copied some data to a share I had setup on one disk (excluded the other disks in the array)
I then pulled power from the disk while unraid was running.

I noticed the unraid console showed some very odd numbers for that disk (like reads and writes in the "Main" tab section)
I never received a notification saying I had an issue with a disk until I rebooted the server. (No notifications in the UI or to the telegram bot I setup)

Is this normal for unraid to not detect a missing disk until a reboot or am I missing a setting or something?
I understand most of the time the disk will fail smart before just going out like that but I feel like it should still be able to realize the disk is missing without having to reboot the server, right?