WebUI too many login attempts

tknx

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2021 at 8:38 AM, tknx said:

I was a dumbass and let my password manager autofill a few times before realizing it had the wrong thing saved.

So now I am locked out of the WebUI.

I can still SSH in, so is there a way to reset the WebUI login attempts?

I just did the same exact thing just now!

On 4/14/2021 at 8:45 AM, itimpi said:

This is mentioned in the 6.9.2 release notes.

Thanks for this.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 8:34 PM, bitcore said:

Great. How do I manually reset the counter via SSH.

How do I increase the failed attempt count to something reasonable like 10 attempts within 15 minutes?

IMO, a limit of 3 is asinine.

In the doc they refer to /var/log/pwfail/<ip-address>

I tried to ssh into the server and delete the file created for my failed attempts, my ip address.

And it worked, no need to wait 15 min. :)

Edited by Plasmon
typo
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/26/2021 at 1:18 PM, jxjelly said:

For other people looking for the answer without having to click through. 

It's 3 failed attempts in a 15 minute interval

Great. I fat fingered my login because my password locker wasn't available at the time.

This isn't seeing the forest for the trees. The Web UI wouldn't be a vector of attack. SSH is already open - this is where attackers would focus their efforts in a serious security breach. Well, maybe the web ui could be used for a 'bobby tables' type of situation.

exploits_of_a_mom.png

Sigh. I guess it would be a vector of attack... (yes I just literally talked myself out of my own argument)

Edited by jaylo123
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone know how to change this to a more sane value? 3 failed attempts before a 15 minute cool down is super paranoia levels.

3 failed attempts and a 90 second cool down? Reasonable.

10 failed attempts and a 15 minute cool down? Reasonable.

3 failed attempts and a 15 minute cool down is super annoying. My laptop keyboard is crappy and often misses letters, and it takes me 3 attempts just to remember my username anyway...

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

@pconwell This has happened to me twice in my own home within my own isolated network. Unfortunately the defaults are hard coded in /usr/local/emhttp/login.php. You could edit that file but it probably won't survive an update.

As a dirty workaround, I disabled this feature by changing the "/var/log/pwfail" folder into a file:

rm -r /var/log/pwfail
touch /var/log/pwfail

You could also create a cron job to delete the files in that folder but this way is simpler. The next time you enter your password incorrectly three times in a row you'll just see an error message saying it can't write to that folder and you won't be locked out of your own computer.

Of course if you're on a shared network think twice about doing this. Your computer, your choice.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/3/2023 at 2:19 PM, AbstractionMage said:

This no longer works btw., I get a server error 500 trying to log into the web interface whenever I do that.

Confirmed working today, tested myself. Submitted 3 bogus logins, ssh'd into the server, removed /var/log/my.ip.add.ress, and was able to log in immediately. Your 500 error is likely unrelated.

• 3 weeks later...